Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,121 posts in this topic

Q: Why don't you teach hata yoga and kriyas via books ?

29.42min

Insightful answer :)

Edited by Salvijus

22 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

Why you shouldnt do book yoga 

29.42min

Maybe I have given up too early in finding a true life teacher. I will look up some other organiziations in my area. It sounds quite scary when Sadhguru puts it that way. But I like what energy work is doing in my life- everything I see is so much more beautiful and colorful and radient, and looking at nature makes me present in an instance. But as Sadhguru says, at what cost?

Edited by Nelhael

47 minutes ago, Nelhael said:

everything I see is so much more beautiful and colorful and radient, and looking at nature makes me present in an instance.

Nice :)

yea, kriyas and yoga can do this by slowing down the system, then awareness and equanimity seeps into life automatically.

On 29. 03. 2020. at 4:03 PM, kerk said:

@Nelhael  KYIO is in Zagreb, it is Sriyukteswar's Kriya which varies somewhat from Lahiri's. There's lots of bowing. But you may find it right for you.

Thank you for your help. I've already looked them up but they don't have any events in the near future. I'll try to contact them via e-mail.

On 31. 5. 2018 at 0:01 AM, Leo Gura said:

For those of you into Kriya, I would highly recommend that in addition to reading the original Kriya book I suggested, you also read the books of Santata Gamana. I now prefer his more simplified techniques. It's a much more streamlined version of Kriya which I think will be even more effective. I found too much needless complexity and variety in the other way.

Right now my technique stack is very simple:

1. Mahamudra x3
  2. Kriya Pranayama x24
  3. Kriya Supreme Fire x3
  4. One-pointed Concentration for 5 mins

Eventually, with lots of practice, you should aim for something like the following stack:

1. Mahamudra x3
  2. Kriya Pranayama x36-x72
  3. Kriya Supreme Fire for 10-20 mins
  4. One-pointed Concentration for 10-20 mins
  5. (Bonus: Yoni Mudra x3)
  6. (Bonus: Kechari mudra)

EDIT: ideally, do this stack twice per day. But if you don't have that much time, at least once per day.

Don't attempt to do this second stack right off the bat. It will not be sustainable. You need to gradually build up to it, like with heavy weightlifting.

I think the original book I recommended is still very good as an introduction and foundation because Gamana's books are so short and thin that they do not provide enough information about Kriya to a total newbie. They are aimed at people who have already been initiated in one school or another.

If you are strictly following the original book, that is okay. You can keep doing that if you want. Or you could switch to this more streamlined version like I decided to do. I don't like learning too many complicated techniques. But that's just me. Both ways should work in the end. It's mostly a matter of style. Although I actually think the streamlined version will end up to be more effective because it concentrates your limited time on the most powerful techniques, and less time is wasted on learning new complex techniques.

Hey @Leo Gura and others who understand Kriya, do you still think this is a good routine or is it outdated? Would you change anything?

I shoot vids about health (https://bit.ly/395NEhj)

How's everyone kriya practice? Thread is dying!

Sadhguru says its useles to learn yoga from a book and even dangerous, that it has to ve learned from the right person at the right place, he even says he wont teach it in a random place. Leo has referenced him as a hood master but then he inspire us to learn yoga from a book. I guess sadhguru knows more about yoga than leo. 

Im confused can someone with knoledge about yoga explain this. 

Also have you experienced great changes since starting this practices? 

@Guillem12 I'm new to kriya but if many people (including Leo) see great results by doing kriya from books, it can't be useless right.

Hey guys,

I have some question in the book "Kriya Secrets Revealed"

pg 97 “First Part of Kriya Pranayama Procedure: Tongue Raising”

Q1: How to do this? Mouth closed or opened? I think the tongue raising technique is introduced in the later chapters.

pg 99 Bhrumadhya Kriya Pranayama Procedure #1

“This form of Kriya can be practiced at any time, day or night without preparation.”

Q2: Is empty stomach not required for this technique?

pg 99 Bhrumadhya Kriya Pranayama Procedure # 4:

“Hold the breath and then visualize”

Q3: For how long? 3 seconds?

pg 100: Kriya Pranayama

“While breathing, make sure not to raise the ribcage. The breathing should come from the abdomen.”

Q4: While proceeding Ujjayi Pranayama, shouldn't the chest expand? So do I expand the chest for Ujjayi Pranayama during preparation and breath through the abdomen for Kriya Pranayama?

Pg108: Maha Mudra

Q5: Can I breathe between switching legs? After I exhale, I run out of breath and am not able to hold my breath until the next inhale. Is holding breath until I start the next inhale recommended?

4 hours ago, byjjr93 said:

Hey guys,

I have some question in the book "Kriya Secrets Revealed"

pg 97 “First Part of Kriya Pranayama Procedure: Tongue Raising”

Q1: How to do this? Mouth closed or opened? I think the tongue raising technique is introduced in the later chapters.

pg 99 Bhrumadhya Kriya Pranayama Procedure #1

“This form of Kriya can be practiced at any time, day or night without preparation.”

Q2: Is empty stomach not required for this technique?

pg 99 Bhrumadhya Kriya Pranayama Procedure # 4:

“Hold the breath and then visualize”

Q3: For how long? 3 seconds?

pg 100: Kriya Pranayama

“While breathing, make sure not to raise the ribcage. The breathing should come from the abdomen.”

Q4: While proceeding Ujjayi Pranayama, shouldn't the chest expand? So do I expand the chest for Ujjayi Pranayama during preparation and breath through the abdomen for Kriya Pranayama?

Pg108: Maha Mudra

Q5: Can I breathe between switching legs? After I exhale, I run out of breath and am not able to hold my breath until the next inhale. Is holding breath until I start the next inhale recommended?

Page 97 -

I think you are referring to Kechari Mudra or limited Kechari Mudra. If you cannot do a complete Kechari Mudra then you can do the limited Kechari Mudra where you take the tip of the tongue and place it on the soft palate of your upper mouth, you have to travel to the behind part to find the soft palate. Once you make that connection you have reached limited Kechari Mudra.

Mouth closed.

Page 99 -

Since you are holding the breath, maybe it's better to do it on empty stomach.

Duration - after 10 to 20 seconds of holding it, then visualization.

Page 100-

Abdomen breathing is better for Ujjayi too I feel.

I am sorry I haven't started with Mahamudra.

Edited by Pacific Sage

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

On 4/3/2020 at 4:44 AM, herghly said:

How's everyone kriya practice? Thread is dying!

Hey @herghly!

My practice has stayed the same for a while now, Nadi shodana, ujjayi Pranayama, talabya, om japa and KP.

How's yours going?

@byjjr93 Hi sir, I'm new to kriya but I think we should keep the exhale when switching legs. I have the same problem but you don't have to hold the exhale for a long time, you can just switch the legs rapidly, that's what I do.

How do you guys deal with shakiness and involuntary movements while doing kriya? It gets really intense during and after Kriya Supreme Fire for me

@Villager Albert 

I don't know if it could be excess of energy to the system or the core of the body is unable to handle energy. 

Either ways you could try strengthening your core and check in two or three weeks if the shaking reduces.

Just thinking out loud of solutions ?

@Villager Albert

How many seconds do you take for one round of inhale and exhale during your practice, before doing supreme fire Kriya?

Edited by Pacific Sage