Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,121 posts in this topic

@GreenWoods Yep, thats what i meant tensing the perineum. I can remember which book spoke on teaching the perineum during pranayamas

Have a doubt doing the krya supreme fire, when i start to run out of oxigen my muscles start to act and contract lile they want to breath, i can supres that and keep the muscles relaxed but then a huge sensation of anxiety builds up and cant hold my breath anymore. 

If i dont stop this movements i can hold my breath much longer but i dont know whats the correct way of doing it. 

Ty and good luck to all of you with your practice

@Guillem12 what does running out of oxygen mean for you? Gamana says we should not force to hold in the air.

If trying to keep your muscles relaxed (in order to longer hold the breath) feels totally healthy (for the lungs, etc..) then I guess you can keep holding the breath. In this case I would guess the anxiety is because your ego is under attack. So you can do it as far as you are comfortable. You say once the anxiety builds up you can't hold the breath anymore, why?

But if the muscles contract because you actually should breathe then the anxiety is because of lack of oxygen and therefore you obviously should breathe

If you guys are doing a lot of the root lock (anus, perineum,pc muscles contractions) I recommend you balance that with some reverse kegels. (But as I haven't seen that recommendation in a yoga book yet, it's probably not totally necessary)

Some months ago I was overdoing it and had to pause for some weeks because it was slightly injured. In case that happens to you, then pause the contractions for a while, do a lot of reverse kegels, stretch the perineum (if it is concerned), massage it, and get some warm/hot water on it when showering

Edited by GreenWoods

2 hours ago, herghly said:

@GreenWoods .. How hard do you tense on the locks?

I must not be tensing hard enough!

I guess about 80%. As hard as it still feels comfortable to contract.

Ive been doing my Yoga routine for almost 2 years now. 

I remember in the beginning when I first started i could see circles of lights channeling when looking up at the third eye while doing the practise. That has sort of disapeared, it was long ago I could get that back. 

Does that mean I am being sloppy with my pratice or does that just come and go?

When a yogi is talking about meditation, what does he acutally mean? Im reading the autobiography of a yogi and in that they sit and "meditate" for like 4hs. Do they mean doing pranayama and doing kriyas or is it just that they sit and do some concentration meditation or like the "do nothing" meditation?

@Paan Depends on the yogi. If it's a kriya yogi then they are referring to doing kriyas too

5 hours ago, Paan said:

When a yogi is talking about meditation, what does he acutally mean? Im reading the autobiography of a yogi and in that they sit and "meditate" for like 4hs. Do they mean doing pranayama and doing kriyas or is it just that they sit and do some concentration meditation or like the "do nothing" meditation?

That book is based on the SRF meditation practices. Those are mainly 1. Energization Exercises, 2. Hong-Sau, 3. Aum Technique (sound), 4. Kriya Yoga.

Is the book on kriya yoga on Leos booklist called "A Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya"?

Is this a good position for starting Kriya?

my first homework is to find my posture. I like to meditate like this .im wondering if I can continue so for Kriya?

7A96FBD1-3BFD-474D-8236-686A69041131.jpeg

also can someone link me to Leo’s blog post about yoga?

is there a search function on his blog posts ??

4 hours ago, lostmedstudent said:

also can someone link me to Leo’s blog post about yoga?

https://www.actualized.org/insights/dont-half-ass-yoga

4 hours ago, lostmedstudent said:

my first homework is to find my posture. I like to meditate like this .im wondering if I can continue so for Kriya?

I guess it's fine, definitely for the beginning. Just make sure to keep the spine straight and not to lean your back against something.

I think I read that doing yoga in the lotus pose, or an easier variant, is a bit more efficient. But I guess that's very subtle and makes only a difference if you are an advanced practitioner.

On 10/29/2019 at 7:10 PM, SvanteTheBeast said:

Is the book on kriya yoga on Leos booklist called "A Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya"?

No. If you can't afford the booklist, you can read this free online book: http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/Eng_Downloads1.html

It's not as good as the one's on Leo's booklist but probably the next best option. 

Also, read through this thread, you might find some helpful stuff

8 hours ago, lostmedstudent said:

I think this is a little intense on the ankles if done for long periods of time doing kriya, even though I think in shorter periods this is a really good position(in terms of pure mobility/flexibility of your body). 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

9 hours ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

I think this is a little intense on the ankles if done for long periods of time doing kriya, even though I think in shorter periods this is a really good position(in terms of pure mobility/flexibility of your body). 

Then just sit on the table and let the ankles hang over the edgexD

On 11/2/2019 at 3:14 PM, lostmedstudent said:

I use this as well, since I don't really have any mobility to do the half lotus.

I have a question: can different people have their chakras in different locations ? In most of the books and videos about chakra locations they depict the solar plexus chakra as being in the level of the navel but I feel that mine is way above the navel, as in for the sacral I still can't locate it cause i keep trying to feel at the base of my spine but I feel nothing there.

Also do any of you know of any practices that will improve mental pranayama (enjoying the bliss of feeling into each chakra), it's the part of kriya that I used to enjoy the most when I first started but now it doesn't feel like it used to, as in I can't reallyyy feel into the chakras anymore

Edited by Pernani

On 11/4/2019 at 4:18 AM, Pernani said:

Why does everyone link me this vid whenever I post a question here? Lol I've already seen that video before, it doesn't fix everything 

Forget the body. Just feel for the location of the chakra. If it's higher than you expect, then it's higher than you expect. My teacher/guru told me to start from the front if I had to. The front of the chakra is generally easier to find than the root in the spine. Your 3rd chakra is where fear and anger are projected into your body. Think of that feeling you get in your stomach when you are angry or afraid. That is where Manipura is. Chant OM into that and over time follow it back into the spine. Navi Kriya would be highly recommended. The sacral chakra is where sexual feelings are projected. Start there and work your way back to the spine over time. This needs to become an intuitive process, not a physical process. So forget the body and locations and just feel.

Edited by MountainCactus