Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,121 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

In the alternate version of Yoni Muda where the 3 Bandhas are applied, I'm not sure how to apply Uddiyana Bandha during it. Should I be doing it like this:

Inhale Muladhara to Ajna - Do thumbs/fingers/ plugging, then hold breath and apply bandhas

or

Inhale Muladhara to Ajna - Do thumbs/ fingers plugging, then quickly exhale till lungs are empty, then apply the bandhas?

This is in regard to the Uddiyana Bandha especially, as I'm not sure wether to empty the lungs then suck in the stomach, or suck in the stomach whilst holding the breath when it's at Ajna.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Rowan

16 hours ago, -Rowan said:

Inhale Muladhara to Ajna - Do thumbs/fingers/ plugging, then hold breath and apply bandhas

Like this. You have to do the bandhas while holding the breath. Over time you  will get used to it. 

But I am not sure whether it is indeed more effective to do the chin lock while bringing prana above the neck (ajna/crown). In his 3rd book he gives an upgraded version for supreme fire - it's basically the upgraded  yoni mudra without the finger plugging (+shambavi mudra) - and there he states that the chin lock should not be applied.

Edited by GreenWoods

@GreenWoods Thanks! Doing the stomach suck in whilst holding the breath is a bit weird but I'll stick with it.

By the way, is there much of a difference between J.C Stevens Mental Kriya and Gamanas 'Parvastha'? What should I do at the end of the routine? One pointed concentration on a chakra? I'm not sure of the difference between Mental Kriya, Parvastha and one pointed concentration. What are you guys doing?

Besides kriya do you guys do other spiritual practices?

4 hours ago, -Rowan said:

By the way, is there much of a difference between J.C Stevens Mental Kriya and Gamanas 'Parvastha'? What should I do at the end of the routine? One pointed concentration on a chakra? I'm not sure of the difference between Mental Kriya, Parvastha and one pointed concentration. What are you guys doing?

Mental Kriya is a technique. It's not that different from Om Japa in the Chakras really.  Parvastha is a state, usually translated as after-effect-poise or tranquility. What should you do at the end? Enjoy Parvastha.

Lahiri said not to do any techniques when in Parvastha. Specifically, from Garland of Letters: "When Tranquility comes, do not disturb that by doing pranayam or any other Kriya."

19 hours ago, herghly said:

Besides kriya do you guys do other spiritual practices?

Being in parvastha is a form of meditation. Sometimes I do self-inquiry in the parvastha state as well. 

And randomly during the day contemplation.

Edited by GreenWoods

How do you guys cope with strong emotions boiling up? Having unbalanced energy in the lower chakras.

I recently started doing the kriya supreme fire and feel quick bursts of irritation, eating alot more and hard to sleep. I know this can be the shadowside of yoga.

@Paan  you can try Hatha Yoga or some kind of physical activity. It also helps me to keep a journal and contemplate about these strong emotions.

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

10 hours ago, Paan said:

How do you guys cope with strong emotions boiling up? Having unbalanced energy in the lower chakras.

I recently started doing the kriya supreme fire and feel quick bursts of irritation, eating alot more and hard to sleep. I know this can be the shadowside of yoga.

Listen to your body and energetic system.

"Many people have not been practicing Kriya Yoga long enough to safely practice the Kriya Supreme Fire technique" - Gamana

"Kriya Supreme Fire is not a part of traditional Kriya" - Gamana

19 hours ago, Paan said:

If I remember right, Gamana recommends exercising, walking in nature, swimming, connecting with animals, doing maha mudra,... . I would add cold showers as very effective 

@SoonHei

On 8/21/2019 at 7:14 PM, SoonHei said:

so far, i found based on my YouTube/online search the following: (not sure of names, describing the actions involved )

>> right and left nostril breathing - alternating between the two

>> inhale 1 breath and let it out in 7 mini breaths

>> single nostril breathing and punching the armpit with the other arm

>> hands up like a V and dropping down on out-breath hitting the side ribs

This seems like a variation of Tummo meditation. theres a whole lot of hitting and jumping in those. I feel this sort is quite advanced and need some overlooking by a master. highly doubt if this falls under kriya yoga but Kriya supreme fire is a part of tummo though.

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

@nistake

On 8/22/2019 at 2:26 PM, nistake said:

Do you guys do the preparatory techniques or do you just straight-up go to pranayamas and other "main" techniques?

I make sure to do Nadi shodana, Ujjayi and Talabya as I feel these silences mind from thoughts and helps focus better with chakras.

Edited by Pacific Sage
Grammar

@reves Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any good hatha yoga routine, ive looked it up but there's so many

Hey guys,

how long are your kriya routines?

I want to increase the amount of pranayamas per meditation

1 hour ago, Paan said:

@reves Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any good hatha yoga routine, ive looked it up but there's so many

I have no special routine, I just do sun salutations, and I combine this with a routine of exercises I make to prevent lower-back pain. As @GreenWoods  mentioned, I also found cold showers effective. Or you can try one of the many techniques that Leo describes in his Body Awareness video: https://actualized.org/articles/body-awareness

Hope it helps!

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

@herghly

Hey! Mine takes about 40 mins. Thinking of increasing my KPs too.

@reves

I love this video of Leo's. Insightful.

@Paan

You must have seen this already, this is good. 

After I did the pranayama, then went on to chanting om through the chakras.

I was focusing on the 3rd eye. Then this tunnel formed out of the blackness It felt like I was on a rollercoaster moving through this tunnel of bright white light. 

Did anyone experience this?

How long is it recommended to do initiation practices before going into the full practices?

Been doing it for a whole 3 weeks and it is such an insane practice.