Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,121 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GreenWoods said:

right, you mentioned that some time ago. So this is still the case? It hasn't changed or improved?

Did you experiment to find out what exactly causes it? Bec it's strange that this happens after a few spinal breaths and not at all after 20 min of a different pranayama. Does it also happen with om japa? with kp2? with sushumna sodhana?

it doesn't happen anymore since I switched to experimenting with third eye om chanting in my kp, never tried kp2 or suhumna sodhana and it didnt happen in om japa.. Although it does happen sometimes when I do mantra chanting and I can clearly feel the sushumna in my spine, and it feels damn good hahaha

it's not weird at all, most def bec of nofap but drawing the energy from base to sacral chakra to all the way up just amplifies it tenfold

@GreenWoods Why do you do Kriya  supreme fire before KP? 

I always do kriya supreme fire at the end of my routine. 

19 hours ago, GreenWoods said:

Do you think kriya supreme fire could make navi kriya unnecessary? Navi kriya is done to loosen the knot at manipura. When you focus on the navel region and chant om there during kriya supreme fire, do you think this could loosen the knot too?

I thought during Kriya supreme fire you don't chant om

3 hours ago, herghly said:

@GreenWoods Why do you do Kriya  supreme fire before KP? 

I always do kriya supreme fire at the end of my routine. 

Sometimes I also do it afterwards. But usually I do it before because I want as little physical movement as possible at the end.

3 hours ago, herghly said:

I thought during Kriya supreme fire you don't chant om

yes. But I thought I could do like 2 additional rounds with chanting om as a replacement for navi kriya

(the reason it usually is without chanting om is probably because 1. The author wants to keep it as simple as possible and 2. it's  a distraction. The purpose of supreme fire is to calm down and get into the parvastha state and not to busy the mind with chanting om. But if I do it as a replacement for navi kriya then it has a different purpose)

I just got back into Kriya seriously after a bit of a break. During navi kriya i felt my base chakra more than normal and felt like it was opening up. During Kriya Pranyama i managed to feel deep levels of relaxation and calm. After that i started concentration and i felt sicky feeling in my gut. I stayed unreactive to this and started to feel worse to the point where my body was shaking and had a gag reflex followed by my back tensing up immensely. 

This meditation is ridiculously powerful and wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar and can breakdown what is going on.

I am starting with Kriya Yoga and I have some questions:

My planned routine is based on a suggestion from Leo earlier in the thread

Maha Mudra 3x

Kriya Pranayma 24x

Kriya Supreme Fire 3x

One pointed Concentration 5 mins

My Questions:

1. Maha Mudra:

Is it ok to breath normally after each repetition (exhale)?

So at the time you change the leg I always have to do some normal breaths (~10s) before being able to start with a slow inhale again.

2. Kriya Supreme FIre:

I read in Garmana's book that you have to be able to hold the breath for 90s and to be doing Kriya for a long time.

I can hold my breath for about 100s but I am just starting. Should I still try this excercise?

4 hours ago, Calmness said:

My Questions:

1. Maha Mudra:

Is it ok to breath normally after each repetition (exhale)?

So at the time you change the leg I always have to do some normal breaths (~10s) before being able to start with a slow inhale again.

I usually take one slow breath in and out between leg changes.

2. Kriya Supreme FIre:

I read in Garmana's book that you have to be able to hold the breath for 90s and to be doing Kriya for a long time.

I can hold my breath for about 100s but I am just starting. Should I still try this excercise?

Just do the best you can, even if it's less than 90. The idea being that you will improve over time so it's not a big deal.

Holding your breath to 90 is quite hard when you're holding all the 3 locks. Your body will get very tense and burn through more oxygen than usual.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On the topic of Kriya Supreme Fire.

Do you time how long you hold your breath?

I've been doing it for a while now, but I'm unsure how long I hold my breath. I don't think it really matters though.

18 minutes ago, herghly said:

On the topic of Kriya Supreme Fire.

Do you time how long you hold your breath?

No, just do it as long as humanly possible.

It's very important that when you do your whole routine, that it be natural and organic. Don't waste too much mental energy criticizing yourself, timing things, analyzing yourself, etc. You must enter a flow state. The whole thing must become silky smooth and effortless. Let go of any self-conscious thoughts and just follow your heart.

Turn off your targeting computer and use The Force ;)

Earlier this year I had a period of time when I was doing 144 KP's a session and my routine would take me almost two hours a morning.

I've stopped doing that many KP's (fallen off the habit). But, recently I feel there's a lot of benefits to doing more pranayamas. At least for myself it significantly quietens my mind.

@herghly Yes, the more pranayamas the faster the results should come.

It's said by some yogis that you need like 10,000 pranayamas to enter a deep samadhi effortlessly.

I don't recall the exact number. It's mentioned in one of the books.

Of course this number should not be taken too literally. It will differ for each person. But it gives you a rough idea of how many pranayamas you're aiming for. So do a shitload of them.

question about kriya. this is a very long thread so a quick basic fire shot questions

how many different exercises/poses/styles does kriya yoga have?

i was searching on YouTube, and many videos have below in the comments " this is not correct kriya exercises" and there are different breathing / poses in various videos... so are there like a list of say 30 different exercises which are included in kriya yoga... and some videos are showing 1-5 others maybe showing 15-20 etc...

i read some pages in this thread and some of you are getting the techniques from books.

can someone plz guide me to some website / pdf or a video which has some basic list of exercises for kriya to do

so far, i found based on my YouTube/online search the following: (not sure of names, describing the actions involved )

>> right and left nostril breathing - alternating between the two

>> inhale 1 breath and let it out in 7 mini breaths

>> single nostril breathing and punching the armpit with the other arm

>> hands up like a V and dropping down on out-breath hitting the side ribs

so are these part of kriya yoga? or different type of them?

any advise. thanks.

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

@Leo Gura is ennio nimis book legit? 

I have been doing the practices mentioned in the book with great results especially kriya paranyamas, But I am asking to make sure.

On 16/08/2019 at 9:09 AM, GreenWoods said:

(sorry abt the quote, it's stuck there for some reason) 

I have a problem, I have relatively good lung capacity and I can hold my breath for quite a while. But when I do yoni mudra I can barely hold it for like 15 seconds, even with a long full inhale, it feels as if I'm bloated with air, as if there's huge pressure on my nostrils and mouth to release the exhale when I'm doing the technique. And so I end up exhaling prematurely... 

Can anyone relate to this? 

7 hours ago, Pernani said:

(sorry abt the quote, it's stuck there for some reason) 

I have a problem, I have relatively good lung capacity and I can hold my breath for quite a while. But when I do yoni mudra I can barely hold it for like 15 seconds, even with a long full inhale, it feels as if I'm bloated with air, as if there's huge pressure on my nostrils and mouth to release the exhale when I'm doing the technique. And so I end up exhaling prematurely... 

Can anyone relate to this? 

does this also happen if you inhale only about 70 or 80% lung capacity?

18 hours ago, SoonHei said:

can someone plz guide me to some website / pdf or a video which has some basic list of exercises for kriya to do.

http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/Eng_Downloads1.html

here you can download online books by Ennio Nimis. But if you can afford it then get the yoga books from Leo's booklist, I find them more straightforward and they include a few more poweful techniques 

And some of your mentioned techniques are part or preparatory kriya techniques. But they are very weak. You gotta do pranayamas (and maha mudra, supreme fire, yoni mudra,...)

Edited by GreenWoods

2 hours ago, nistake said:

Do you guys do the preparatory techniques or do you just straight-up go to pranayamas and other "main" techniques?

I usually do 3 rounds of the alternating nostril breathing - nadi sodhana or how it's called. Then I continue with maha mudra. I think you can do talabya kriya whenever you have time during the day. and the ujjayi breath as additional preparatory exercise seems redundant to me ( as it's done during the main techniques anyways)

5 hours ago, GreenWoods said:

does this also happen if you inhale only about 70 or 80% lung capacity?

http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/Eng_Downloads1.html

here you can download online books by Ennio Nimis. But if you can afford it then get the yoga books from Leo's booklist, I find them more straightforward and they include a few more poweful techniques 

And some of your mentioned techniques are part or preparatory kriya techniques. But they are very weak. You gotta do pranayamas (and maha mudra, supreme fire, yoni mudra,...)

Idk how to breathe 80% lung capacity lol but I will try to do so

On 8/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, SoonHei said:

how many different exercises/poses/styles does kriya yoga have?

There's a basic set for first Kriya and then the higher levels add on to that.

Different lineages modified these over time. An example would be Hong-Sau, which is practiced by thousands of Kriyabans but was not really taught by Lahiri. But it's one way of doing basic concentration (Shambhavi Mudra) and seeing Kutastha (spiritual eye) which of course he did teach about.

There are also variations of gurupronam, mahamudra and navi kriya. Some include bowing and some don't. Also, some practices are performed separately and some at the same time.

But a basic set would include:

Mahamudra
Talabya Kriya / Khechari Mudra
Navi Kriya
Om Japa
Kriya Pranayama
Yonimudra or Jyotimudra

Edited by kerk