Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,121 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Girzo said:

@Pernani You can do kriya in whatever sitting posture you find comfortable, no preparation required.

You can couple it with hatha yoga, but it's not needed.

20 hours ago, kerk said:

What you need is up to you! You might benefit from other asanas. Mahamudra is the main postural practice in Kriya Yoga.

There are some movement techniques in the higher Kriyas, and some lineages teach a version of Gurupronam that involves bending and twisting.

The SRF teachings include 38 movement practices -- called the Energization Exercises -- in addition to Kriya meditation. So it depends on which lineage and school you are practicing and what your needs and interests are.

Thanks for the replies! Been really looking forward to peacticing the real original kriya but I thought I should do some hatha preparation beforehand, guess ill just jump right in 

@Leo Gura I got a question regarding the third book in the "Meditation and Yoga techniques" section in your book list. I don't want to name the book titles here but it says in the descriptions that this book is about Yogananda's teachings. However that particular book is clearly about Lahiri's teachings as I have read it myself. Was a bit confused about that, could you please clear it up? Cheers 

Edited by Chi_

I've done the first 6 lessons in the book but I can't sit in half lotus for the life of me. Gonna try doing it on a couch. Thing is I've fallen off and haven't done it in a couple months. Should I just start up again and maybe just not sit in half lotus? 

@SunnyNewDay Have you considered sitting like this on a zafu cushion? Keeps your back straight and everything in symmetry.

brisbane-meditation-cushion.jpg

I finish high-school soon and am thinking about being initiated into a kriya tradition. I have J.C Stevens book and practice daily, yet i feel having a live experience would just be better suited to me. 

I resonate with Sadghuru as a teacher, yet i can't find any initiation events of his online. Has anyone been initiated into this tradition? 

Are there any other kriya traditions that people have been initiated into that they found very beneficial.

My goal is to accumulate strong enough practices that I could take to a cave in the future if I chose to go there, that's just how I see being self-actualized, being as a system larger than life, able to survive an extreme experience if I wanted to do so. 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Peace

6 hours ago, kerk said:

@Mada_ What country are you in?

Australia

@Mada_ Seems to be a lot of Kriya in Oz. I've asked my contacts for any recommendations, and I'll post again.

@kerk

On 5/9/2019 at 9:43 AM, kerk said:

@Mada_ What country are you in?

Kashi Kriya states their lineage back to Lahiri Mahasaya. They are in Gisborne. A recent book covers this lineage.

Australia Kriya Yoga Association, a lineage from Yukteswar, will hold Kriya initiations in Melbourne, Perth, Sydney and Adelaide starting in early June. This is part of KYIO which is based in Florida USA.

SRF is in Sydney and several other Australian locations.

These are not endorsements but for your information.

On 5/9/2019 at 0:13 PM, Mada_ said:

I resonate with Sadghuru as a teacher, yet i can't find any initiation events of his online. Has anyone been initiated into this tradition? 

Sadhguru will be visiting Melbourne in July so you can get initiated into the Shambhavi Mahamudra. I just got initiated into it in London last month by him. I highly recommend it.

https://ishayoga.org.au/sadhguru-in-australia

Once you practice this technique for a while you can get initiated into more advanced techniques like Shoonya, Samyama. Hope this helps

Edited by Chi_

Im hella confused about locating the chakras, do the chakras actually exist in the spine or thats just a ksetram (as stated in the jc stevens book) and are you supposed to focus on the ksetrams or the actual chakras when you're practicing kriay techniques ?

if anyone has a simple resource on locating chakras that would be very helpful since I find the explanations in the book pretty confusing and vague

7 hours ago, Pernani said:

Im hella confused about locating the chakras, do the chakras actually exist in the spine or thats just a ksetram (as stated in the jc stevens book) and are you supposed to focus on the ksetrams or the actual chakras when you're practicing kriay techniques ?

if anyone has a simple resource on locating chakras that would be very helpful since I find the explanations in the book pretty confusing and vague

OK that's like asking do trees exist in the ground or on the surface.
The answer is both of course. They root in the ground and a portion is above ground.
And as you know for some plants the root system can be more extensive than the visible part.
The chakra has an anterior aspect and a posterior aspect. The anterior (front) have also been called the "social" chakras because that is how you interface to the world and to other people.
The ksetrams are points of concentration (Stevens p. 73 & 76). Kriya is concerned with the posterior ksetram which is a point on the spine (Stevens p. 97-98).
This video does a fine job of teaching how to locate these points for Kriya Yoga.
One seeming exception may be in Shambhavi Mudra where we situate our attention at the Medulla but then look toward the Bhrumadiya between the eyebrows (Stevens calls this simply "concentration" on p. 53). But all the teachings have emphasized the connection between these two points.

Edited by kerk

2 hours ago, kerk said:

OK that's like asking do trees exist in the ground or on the surface.
The answer is both of course. They root in the ground and a portion is above ground.
And as you know for some plants the root system can be more extensive than the visible part.
The chakra has an anterior aspect and a posterior aspect. The anterior (front) have also been called the "social" chakras because that is how you interface to the world and to other people.
The ksetrams are points of concentration (Stevens p. 73 & 76). Kriya is concerned with the posterior ksetram which is a point on the spine (Stevens p. 97-98).
This video does a fine job of teaching how to locate these points for Kriya Yoga.
One seeming exception may be in Shambhavi Mudra where we situate our attention at the Medulla but then look toward the Bhrumadiya between the eyebrows (Stevens calls this simply "concentration" on p. 53). But all the teachings have emphasized the connection between these two points.

So let me get this straight, when a kriya technique tells you to concentrate on one chakra or another they are telling you to concentrate on the posterior ksethram of the chakra, correct? 

5 hours ago, Pernani said:

So let me get this straight, when a kriya technique tells you to concentrate on one chakra or another they are telling you to concentrate on the posterior ksethram of the chakra, correct? 

On points in the spine. Stevens p. 98 and 182-183.

4 hours ago, kerk said:

On points in the spine. Stevens p. 98 and 182-183.

Appreciate the help man! 

I've been doing Kriya (by stevens) for two months now, everyday, for about 35 mins total of session.

I've had some minor results like a slightly better social awareness and social flow state, and better discipline in my life.

But no other results.

A side effect I'm getting is that a lot of mornings I wake up very moody and dark, and I feel my pessimistic ego coming back.

Is this normal or is this a sign of doing it wrong? (I'm very peaceful and still immediately after yoga, btw).

Inquire in the now.

Feeling is the truest knowing ?️

@billiesimon Amp it up. Maha Mudra + Second Kriya Pranayama + Yoni Mudra, that should be your base set. Twice a day if you can.

You are probably not doing it enough.

Also concetrate for at least 10 minutes. 20 or more would be ideal, but there's not always time. You can also concetrate on a point 20 cm in front of your forehead with your eyes open if you don't like to concentrate as described in the book.

33 minutes ago, Girzo said:

@billiesimon Amp it up. Maha Mudra + Second Kriya Pranayama + Yoni Mudra, that should be your base set. Twice a day if you can.

You are probably not doing it enough.

Also concetrate for at least 10 minutes. 20 or more would be ideal, but there's not always time. You can also concetrate on a point 20 cm in front of your forehead with your eyes open if you don't like to concentrate as described in the book.

Thanks. 

I'm already doing 20 mins of concentration. I generally can concentrate on bhrumadhya with closed eyes, no problem. 

But what about the strong egoic pessimism (part of my usual identity)? 

Why do I get hit by it? 

Edited by billiesimon

Inquire in the now.

Feeling is the truest knowing ?️

2 hours ago, billiesimon said:

Thanks. 

I'm already doing 20 mins of concentration. I generally can concentrate on bhrumadhya with closed eyes, no problem. 

But what about the strong egoic pessimism (part of my usual identity)? 

Why do I get hit by it? 

I don't think Kriya gives anyone a pass to avoid working on one's issues.

A person still has whatever baggage he brought into this world plus the challenges he picked up in life.

The quiet of meditation is an excellent space IMO to get a break from hammering oneself - and to let the voice of the higher self in where possible.

If I may recommend a life-changing book that helps to get to the root of issues.