Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,121 posts in this topic

i thought this video was interesting. You guys may also like it 

Two questions 

- I'm sitting half lotus with one pillow. My legs fall asleep after 5-10 minutes. Should I  expect to be sitting long periods in this position?

- on lesson 4 I'm doing the concentration exercise for five minutes. I close my eyes, focus from the back of my head and look forward between my eyebrows my eyes twitch a ton when I do this and my head feels murky and full of toxic waste. No light or sounds... is this normal?

Edited by Widdle Puppy

@Widdle Puppy After 10 minutes readjusts how you are sitting. Over time you will be able to sit for longer periods of times

I'd skip the concentration practices and do witness consciousness at the end of all the kriyas. This is spoken about in the other book

@herghly Could you please point a little bit more where I can learn of  "witness consciousness" in kriya yoga?
im currently reading stevens book and not a big fan of the concentration lesson so if there is an alternative Id like to try it!

technique A ..

technique B ..

technique C ..

start rising your own. No teacher, no teaching.

Only the one that work for yourself.

@luckieluuke Santata talks about the Parvastha state, what Lahiri Mahasaya called the "After-Effect-Poise" of Kriya. Santata calls it the secret cause no other Kriya yogi talks about that.

It's essentially a resting in being. He says you will be thrown into this state automatically after the Kriya practice. For me, this was true from day 1.
Also, he recommends combining it with self-inquiry, especially if thoughts and identification creep back in.

Personally I do a 60 minute "being in awareness"/"Self Inquiry" session after my Kriya session. My inquiry has never been this deep, I highly recommend this combination :) 

This is my first week of Kriya and my current practise is Nadi Shodhana, Ujjayi Pranayama and 20 minutes of concentration (just like the book suggested).

Thing is, at the moment I'm having a hard time focusing/looking at the 3rd eye but I can definitely feel some tingling on that area. Does that mean I'm doing the concentration properly?

6 hours ago, nistake said:

Thing is, at the moment I'm having a hard time focusing/looking at the 3rd eye but I can definitely feel some tingling on that area. Does that mean I'm doing the concentration properly?

Relaxation, release tension, use your mental gaze. Return to that location when you drift off. Over time you will get the rewards. And it's a necessary preparation for Kriya Pranayama. Matthew 6:22.

Ok I´ve started doing the Maha mudra and it really feels...wrong.

1. Bigger thing, when I "stretch" and reached for my feet I should simultaneously flex my anus and pelvis muscles? and During that I should focus on the ajna point? AND during that Chant some word? All 4 things at the same time! 
For me yoga and stretching a body limb is to really feel the stretching, be calm, here and now and feel each muscle and fiber of my body. This gives me great body awareness, calmness and connection to oneness. But instead of doing that I should chant some old indian word and do all these other things, effectively ignoring the main thing going on: my "stretching" That´s like practicing ignoring what is obviously happening and focus on other things. Like if someone is talking to you you should focus on everything else than the person talking to you. I feel I just get disconnected and further away from here and now doing that. My inner Guru says this is not the way to be mindful. 

2. Minor thing, do I really need to go back to sitting on both my heels between each stretch? feels like Im moving around my legs and repositioning alot and it really gets me out of the meditative state.

4 hours ago, luckieluuke said:

1. Bigger thing, when I "stretch" and reached for my feet I should simultaneously flex my anus and pelvis muscles? and During that I should focus on the ajna point? AND during that Chant some word? All 4 things at the same time!

Best instructions for Mahamudra in my opinion. It's just a Kriya breath during the stretch. And in KY chanting is usually mental only. There might be some difference between the version in this video and the version in other lineages, but this version is fairly simple.

If by old Indian word you mean "Om" or "Aum", it is an approximation of one of the sounds you can hear in meditation in deep states. It is used quite a bit in Kriya but if you don't like it, perhaps some other practice would be better for you.

Edited by kerk

On 2/27/2019 at 1:25 AM, luckieluuke said:

For me yoga and stretching a body limb is to really feel the stretching, be calm, here and now and feel each muscle and fiber of my body. This gives me great body awareness, calmness and connection to oneness. But instead of doing that I should chant some old indian word and do all these other things, effectively ignoring the main thing going on: my "stretching" That´s like practicing ignoring what is obviously happening and focus on other things. Like if someone is talking to you you should focus on everything else than the person talking to you. I feel I just get disconnected and further away from here and now doing that. My inner Guru says this is not the way to be mindful. 

2. Minor thing, do I really need to go back to sitting on both my heels between each stretch? feels like Im moving around my legs and repositioning alot and it really gets me out of the meditative state.

It will become second nature after awhile. Practice going through the procedure multiple times in your head. At first it does seem sort of overwhelming but it will become second nature.

I have some financial downside right now, not working, and the book from J.C. Stevens is a little bit expensive in my country.

Are there good youtube videos about it or other suggestions for books?

Thanks for any advice

18 hours ago, Schahin said:

I have some financial downside right now, not working, and the book from J.C. Stevens is a little bit expensive in my country.

Are there good youtube videos about it or other suggestions for books?

Thanks for any advice

Where do you live and how easy would it be for me to order the book for you, if you are really serious?

Pam

On 1.3.2019 at 2:04 PM, pointessa said:

Where do you live and how easy would it be for me to order the book for you, if you are really serious?

Pam

Hey thank you alot :))

I appreciate it, but I think the website is okay, when I am better off, I'll get the book and see how it's different to the websites information

Edited by Schahin

@luckieluuke

On 2/27/2019 at 10:25 AM, luckieluuke said:

Just keep trying to the technique correctly by using your awareness and a bit of discipline. And when you get used to the technique, still keep on doing it with awareness and discipline. You always want to improve!

For me, when I get more anymore used to the techniques I start to see how the techniques are beneficial! I start witnessing how Maha Mudra makes me much more aware of my spine and the chakras and how it stills the mind and raises my overall awareness, and then I can see how that makes it an excellent prepetory excersise. But I most importantly see why all these components of trying to do 6 things at once is very nessecary!

Just keep trying your best on doing the practises correctly and your golden! You will thank yourself for persisting later on.

PS: I don't go back on my heels after doing each stretch, that lesson in Stevens book is quite confusing. If you have the Fifth edition of his book, then just follow the 6 pictures. The confusing part of the lesson there is that he does not show a picture of "the position you will return to after each movement" and so I ignored that part... I assume that he just refers to picture 1, 3 & 6. It works out excellently for me by doing so. You can check out maha mudra on youtube for more perspectives.

18 hours ago, Schahin said:

Hey thank you alot :))

I appreciate it, but I think the website is okay, when I am better off, I'll get the book and see how it's different to the websites information

The offer is still available if you change your mind.

14 hours ago, Igor82 said:

@luckieluuke

Just keep trying to the technique correctly by using your awareness and a bit of discipline. And when you get used to the technique, still keep on doing it with awareness and discipline. You always want to improve!

For me, when I get more anymore used to the techniques I start to see how the techniques are beneficial! I start witnessing how Maha Mudra makes me much more aware of my spine and the chakras and how it stills the mind and raises my overall awareness, and then I can see how that makes it an excellent prepetory excersise. But I most importantly see why all these components of trying to do 6 things at once is very nessecary!

Just keep trying your best on doing the practises correctly and your golden! You will thank yourself for persisting later on.

PS: I don't go back on my heels after doing each stretch, that lesson in Stevens book is quite confusing. If you have the Fifth edition of his book, then just follow the 6 pictures. The confusing part of the lesson there is that he does not show a picture of "the position you will return to after each movement" and so I ignored that part... I assume that he just refers to picture 1, 3 & 6. It works out excellently for me by doing so. You can check out maha mudra on youtube for more perspectives.

I  don't bring the leg back up the way he suggests either and I have excellent results. Also, I  do the neck constriction first, then the anal and then the stomach constrictions . I just made that a habit and it works well.