Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,121 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FredFred said:

I find that there's not much explanation about the techniques in The Secret Power of Kriya Yoga. On the other hand Kriya Secrets Revealed is a goldmine. You should really buy that one if you're planning to practice Kriya in the long term!

Yeah I got both, but Leo is now recommending "The Secret Power of Kriya Yoga" more than the other one, so I wasn't sure if I should just mainly focus on abovementioned book.

On 6/1/2019 at 5:19 PM, Esoteric said:

You contract the area between your anus and balls(if you are male), then you suck your stomach up towards solar plexus and lastly you put your chin down towards your chest. Yes hold it the whole duration. Will get easier the more you do it

Ty for your help, how much does usually take to start feeling the kundalini rising? 

Nobody can help me out here?

Can I stick entirely to "The Secret Power of Kriya Yoga" or should I mix both books?

Would love to hear your opinion Leo.

When doing Kriya Supreme Fire, how do you all keep track of how much time you are holding your breath?  Mentally count in your head?  Does this take away from your concentration?

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

On 1/9/2019 at 5:37 PM, Guillem12 said:

Ty for your help, how much does usually take to start feeling the kundalini rising? 

Impossible to answer. Depends on a variety of factors. Dedication, time put in, how spritually gifted you are naturally etc. But stick with it, it's worth it.

@InfinitePotential I got a metronome app set to 60 beats per minute.  I count the beats. I havent got to supreme fire yet. You could also go on YouTube and search for ticking clock

2 hours ago, InfinitePotential said:

When doing Kriya Supreme Fire, how do you all keep track of how much time you are holding your breath?  Mentally count in your head?  Does this take away from your concentration?

Set a timer when you finish the inhale.

2 hours ago, korbes said:

Nobody can help me out here?

Can I stick entirely to "The Secret Power of Kriya Yoga" or should I mix both books?

Would love to hear your opinion Leo.

You can mix both because the stack of techniques you do is up to you. Kriya Secrets Revealed has a more effective Pranayama imo. You need to include the spinal breathing not just chanting in the chakra. The other books you mention are good as well. Most of the techniques in all the books are basically the same, except for pranayama as I said. 

On 06/01/2019 at 4:14 PM, Guillem12 said:

At what position should i do the kriya supreme fire? 

What position? Any upright seated position is fine I would imagine.

On 03/01/2019 at 11:40 AM, Guillem12 said:

Hi, i started my yoga practice after reading the yoga book recomended on the youtube videos and got some questions that hope somebody can solve: when doing the ktiya supreme fire i dont exactly know how to do the 3 locks, i looked on internet but dont fully understand what should i do maybe you know about some videos or something that might help me and i also dont know if i should hold this locks the hole 90seconds that i keep my breath or just at the begging. Ty! 

The locks are quite easy. 1) look downwards and touch your chin onto the base of your neck, 2) suck up your diaphragm, 3) clench your ass hole (muscles between your legs). You hold all the locks for the duration of the supreme fire. Each time you sit down, try to hold your breath a little longer than last time so that you eventually reach 2 mins.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

On 12/30/2018 at 9:10 AM, John West said:

Is Medulla the point on the back of the head? Because in one picture (page 98) it seems like it is the chakra, but on the other pages it's said that it is a ksetram.

Physically speaking the medulla is part of the brain as can be seen in any anatomy illustration. For use in Kriya as a posterior ksetram, I recommend the YouTube video on how to find the chakras mentally, by Forrest Knutson. 

For the concentration practice (lesson 4): Do you focus on the visual field where Bhrumadhya lies or the feeling / touch sensation?

I would say both. When phenomena such as Kutastha appear, they are visual. 

For First part of Kriya Pranayama (8) & Maha Mudra (9): Same question, do you literally visualize the energy going up and down (literally, so in your visual / seeing imagination) or do you "feel" it up and down your spine (like a (inner) touch sensation)?

I would say the latter. You are aiming to get your attention inside the spine. Visualization is a way to get to that point, but this Kriya is not about making inner pictures, it's more about feeling.

Otherwise I can visualize (as from visual) warm and cold which would be necessary.

Warm and cold are not so important as feeling inside the spine. If you don't get warm and cold sensations, this is not a problem.

And if it is about feeling it, do you try to feel it actually through the spine or along the ksetrams on the outside?

There are some variations in Kriya instructions on this subtle point, but I would advise the interior. An early version of the Yogananda teachings said to feel it go down on the outside or back of the spine, but they later corrected this in a letter sent to all practitioners.

Your mileage may vary. I am a longtime meditator but fairly new to Kriya. I got good results from the Stevens book but eventually went for initiation. I recommend that for personal instruction.

On 12/27/2018 at 10:23 PM, herghly said:

@Girzo Kriya yoga is not made to be done on silent retreats

Sounds are optional. Kriya Pranayama breathing can be done loudly or softly or silently. Intention, feeling and care are more important.

On 1/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, korbes said:

Can I start practicing Kriya Yoga primarily from the book "The Secret Power of Kriya Yoga" without having any prior experience, or should I start with the exercises stated in "Kriya Secrets Revealed"?

In "The Secret Power of Kriya Yoga", the exercises seem really powerful, and I am not sure if I am ready for that, because he states in the book that they are very powerful, but what do you guys think, is it safe?

Kriya Yoga Exposed would be much better book to start with. Leo does a hybrid version of kriya from both authors.  

I've found doing the alternate nostril breathing at the start makes a big difference for me

@InfinitePotential Don't worry about timing your inholds. Focus on doing this every day and you will progress.

Remember progression is NOT linear 

On 1/13/2019 at 11:03 AM, Space said:

Set a timer when you finish the inhale.

So break your posture to start the timer?  I would have thought remaining as still as possible is important.

On 1/14/2019 at 4:30 AM, herghly said:

@InfinitePotential Don't worry about timing your inholds. Focus on doing this every day and you will progress.

Remember progression is NOT linear 

So hold your breath roughly as long as you can each time?

Maybe just do a certain number of reps of Kriya Supreme Fire, as opposed to timing it?

1 hour ago, InfinitePotential said:

So break your posture to start the timer?  I would have thought remaining as still as possible is important.

It doesn't take much to move your arm 30cm. I haven't read anywhere that being absolutely still is necessary. 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

stillness is critical for any practice and while kriya yoga does involve movement that does not mean we should be adding in any  unnecessary movements

Edited by herghly

This is a question for those with direct experience with kriya yoga and chakra energy flow.

I am new to the chapter on identifying Chakras. Stevens seems to use somewhat vague and abstract instructions about how to locate them. There are pictures of the location centers along the brain/spinal cord as well as peripheral reference points. Yet, then he pretty much says to chant OM (as if Ong) and to go in there and find them.

Locating these energy points seems really abstract to me. I do all the preparatory breathing exercises and 3rd eye meditation. While chanting Ong, my mind is at rest and awareness is present. I direct my attention to a chakra site, yet it seems like I'm just paying attention to a part of my body, like my abdomen, yet nothing else. A couple times there were vague images of energy flow along the spine and a general sense of well-being. Yet, I don't know if that's a good sign or just my mind making stuff up. Is there some type of description that may be helpful? A sensation or feeling that may be revealed?

Psychedelics and shamanic breathing hit me like a ton of bricks. Is getting in tune with chakras more subtle? How does one tell if they are making progress?

@Serotoninluv

1 hour ago, Serotoninluv said:

Psychedelics and shamanic breathing hit me like a ton of bricks. Is getting in tune with chakras more subtle? How does one tell if they are making progress?

Com[ared to psychedelics, yes.

How long have you been doing this for?  Before i had any experience with the chakras i could feel the prana going up and down strongly