Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,121 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@korbes It's actually really easy. Pretend like you are trying to fog up a mirror with your breath. But then close your mouth, letting the air go out through the nose.

Experiment with various degrees of constriction of the throat until you get a nice sound going and it feels solid.

Your throat needs to constrict almost as much as possible in order to slow down the air as much as possible, so you can do long slow breaths.

It's almost like sucking in air through a straw. But you are using your throat as the straw.

Wonderful explanation, thanks alot!

@Leo Gura Earlier you said you'd recommend 24 KP's/Session with the technique described in the "basic book". Do you only do KP3 or KP1 & 2 as well (like it's recommended in the book)?

Also: Have you tried stopping the breath at every chakra? It's an alternative/recommended technique. 

5 hours ago, Torch said:

Is it safe to do kriya supreme fire as a newbie?

as the author says, build up your breath retention to 90 seconds first, and than slowly go for it ;)

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

On 9/9/2018 at 2:09 PM, Greenbirch said:

I stopped Kriya after 6 days of practice (Nadi Sodhana, Ujjayi Pranayama, Talabaya Kriya, Om Japa, concentration a little over 5 minutes) due to insomnia and exhaustion.

Update: I am doing Kriya yoga again, even Kriya Pranayama. No side effects so far. I think my earlier adverse response to Kriya yoga had to do with two things potentially: 

1.  A week before starting Kriya yoga I had an intense Kundalini experience: hot energy rose up my spine and cool air come out of my head. I was in some kind of an elevated state for about two weeks after that. When I started to do Kriya, I got insomnia. I suspect starting yoga when something intense is happening energetically is risky and it's better to wait for the experience to come down. (This feels very obvious in hindsight)
  2. Before starting again, I started to do asanas and be more active physically. Now I don't do asanas anymore and I still don't have any side effects. 

Kriya is challenging and also very rewarding. I love the moments when I get a very subtle understanding of how a practice should be done or when I get interesting sensations in my body. You don't have to master the practices 100% to feel effects. I am far away from mastering Khechari Mudra but I can definitely feel sensations in the 6th chakra when I hold my tongue in a raised position.

I definitely recommend starting the practice! Just be patient and approach it incrementally while listening to yourself and how you are feeling. :)

Have you guys started doing Kriya Yoga by reading those books from Leo's list or did you use some other resources?

My inhalations have got longer, but I have trouble with my exhalations. If I inhale for 15 seconds my exhale is around 10 seconds

Anyone else have this problem?

On 17/11/2018 at 2:27 PM, okulele said:

Kriya Supreme Fire is a beast! Go for it guys!

Which Kriya Supreme Fire are you refering to ?

When I search I find two differents exercice that people sometimes refer at with that name, what does the one you are refering to consist of ?

4 hours ago, Jordan94 said:

Which Kriya Supreme Fire are you refering to ?

When I search I find two differents exercice that people sometimes refer at with that name, what does the one you are refering to consist of ?

3 body locks and breath retention.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

On 12/1/2018 at 3:23 AM, herghly said:

My inhalations have got longer, but I have trouble with my exhalations. If I inhale for 15 seconds my exhale is around 10 seconds

Anyone else have this problem?

Yes. I am on the first kriya lesson(KP1). I have this problem with ujjayi pranayama and KP1. I think it's caused by the fact that you need oxygen, and going over 25 seconds would cause you to gasp for air. I reccomend balancing it out e.g. 12.5 second for each. Over time i've heard you will be able to go the full length.

I also experience only being able to do a few ujjayi's before gasping for air, but this morning I notice some improvement. especially from when I re-started Kriya 2 weeks ago

@Cocolove Thanks for the suggestion. Any other advice guys?

Also, there are many different types of KP. 

Which do you do?

is it ok to do two different styles of KP in the same session?

Currently, i do KP 1 for 12 and KP 2 for 12. I'm thinking whether or not its better to do more of the one type of KP

@Cocolove If you need to gasp air, do shorter breaths. You shouldn't have the need to gasp air. The breath will eventually get longer.

@herghly I wouldn't worry about it, it will balance out if it needs to. Just remember to breathe everything out when you exhale. I'm doing pranayama from SantataGamana's book and have no need to count how long my breath lasts, because due course it will be fine.

@llumi Thanks for replying bro

Did you guys try many different forms of kP before you found the one you like?

Overwhelmed by how many different forms there are and if its ok to do two different types of KP in same session

has everyone stopped doing kriya?

Come on guys, lets keep this alive

Hoy! Little update about my practice:
Still doing it after 6-7 months (around  45 minutes per day). A few interesting experiences but I did not progress as much as I was expected. 

Not so long ago during 1 or 2 weeks I felt like I was resting in beingness/nothingness/parvastha but only for a few seconds. One day, it felt like falling into a whole, I got scared and unwillingly stop the process.

Now I do not feel I'm resting in parvastha state anymore. I even feel like I have regressed.
Anyway, I still like Kriya yoga, at least, much more than other style of meditation I used to do. 
I will keep on doing it for a year and see where it brings me. 

I will soon start to do the preparation exercices before I do Kriya Pranayama as explained in Ennio Nimmis pdf, part III (btw if you don't feel like reading the whole thing ,Part III is the most interesting part). 

Have you tried these preparation exercices? 
Do you feel like you are able to rest in the Being/Paravastha state at the end of your routine?

@trustyadam my kundalini is awoken, my crown chakra blew open during an sds sit, I've experienced just about every Kundalini symptom except for twisting of the body, next time my heart rate raises like crazy I'm just gonna let the kundalini take over & do its thing. That how the energy shot out of the top of my head to begin with, I stopped fighting the pain during sds sit & I had the craziest meditative/ mystical experience of my life, the ego stopped fighting, for that moment at least.

Edited by Tony 845

Here i will post my first kriya rapport.  After doing it for 6 months for at least 1 time a day, i noticed the following benefits in my normal life:

- less need for sleep;

- better work ethic;

- better results, less mistakes in my work;

- a natural desire to eat less food, especially meat;

- the desire to manipulate people is almost gone;

- less suffering.

I noticed the following spiritual benefits:

- whenever i sit sillently, there is a white light. I dont know what it is, but there is nothing special about it;

- there is a constant energy in my spine;

- after doing the practices, all thoughts are gone;

- i can now sit in a meditation position for 2 hours.

So, these are my benefits. Thanks Leo for sharing this information with us, the techniques are verry powerfull and will change our lifes if done with discipline. 

I have been doing it for over a month. I've had feelings of tons of energy in my heart chakra and brumayuda twice, its super intense, and when i do kriya pranayama i can feel the energy. 

Question, when I do a strong determination sit, I sometimes do a few kriya pranayma breaths and it brings me into a very focused state. Is this safe? 

Edited by Cocolove
typo