Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,126 posts in this topic

@Esoteric You can check Ennio Nimis's book (Kriya Yoga - Synthesis of a personal experience) as a complement, it's available for free online he gives his insight and recommendation about the technique

Edited by Jordan94

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Don't recall exactly which book it is from. I think it's the Kriya Supreme Fire. You basically just breath in, do the 3 locks, then hold it for 90 seconds (or as long as you can).

@Leo Gura Ah yes, Supreme Fire. Thx for clarifying. 

5 hours ago, Jordan94 said:

@Esoteric You can check Ennio Nimis's book (Kriya Yoga - Synthesis of a personal experience) as a complement, it's available for free online he gives his insight and recommendation about the technique

@Jordan94 Thank you very much. I have seen his name and a lot of people seem to like him. Will check this out :)

Soo after experimenting around with Yoga for a couple days im still unsure if i should continue even though I like the techniques.

Ive been doing daily meditation for about 1 1/2 years now, but I still have problems with depression, anxiety and relationships. ive also read some scary stuff about the dangers of yoga if you are not ready.

So Im not sure if yoga would simply accelerate what Im doing with mediation anyway and I should switch it out or if I should keep on doing simple mindfullness meditation until I feel my life is fully in order.

Any suggestions?

On 7/30/2018 at 4:49 PM, see_on_see said:

The book says not to do Kriya Supreme Fire until one is able to hold it for at least 90 seconds. For now I can't even hold it for a minute. So at the moment I haven't started Supreme Fire yet, I'm only doing the rest of the routine stack, and I'm practicing holding the breath to get to 90 seconds over time. Did you start doing Supreme Fire anyway holding it for as long as you could and then built up to 90 seconds over time, or did you practice holding the breath first with preliminary techniques like Kriya Bow?

I would just start it where you're at, and you will work up to 90 seconds pretty easily within a month of practice.

Don't let perfectionism get in the way of learning the practices. Tis better to do yoga poorly than not at all. Within a few months all of these complicated-seeming techniques will become second-nature.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Do your pranayamas slow and deep. When you get good, one inhale should last like 30 seconds, then 30 seconds for the exhale.

You want to slow your breath down as much as possible.

In certain meditative traditions they try to slow down the breath down to 1 breath per minute. That's sorta the goal here. Make each breath count. Really visualize & feel that prana flowing up the spine, through each chakra and up the brain stem. That's the key IMO. You are rewiring the brain stem, the reptilian part of your brain which keeps egoic consciousness locked in.

As your practice improves your breathing should slow down and deepen, your visualization should become more clear and precise and filled with feeling.

Practice slowing down your intake of air as much as possible, and practice perfecting your visualization.

That should give you 80% of your results.

@see_on_see Gamana's techniques are very condensed Kriya. The original Kriya involves visualizing prana moving up and down the spine, which I think is very important. Just breathing while focusing one the 3rd eye or crown is not good enough for me. It feels more powerful to focus on moving the prana up the spine. But that's my take. You could be different.

Gamana's books are not designed to teach you Kriya from scratch. They are designed for people who are already well-versed in the core practices.

The original Kriya book I recommended is important.

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Do your pranayamas slow and deep. When you get good, one inhale should last like 30 seconds, then 30 seconds for the exhale.

You want to slow your breath down as much as possible.

In certain meditative traditions they try to slow down the breath down to 1 breath per minute. That's sorta the goal here. Make each breath count. Really visualize & feel that prana flowing up the spine, through each chakra and up the brain stem. That's the key IMO. You are rewiring the brain stem, the reptilian part of your brain which keeps egoic consciousness locked in.

As your practice improves your breathing should slow down and deepen, your visualization should become more clear and precise and filled with feeling.

Practice slowing down your intake of air as much as possible, and practice perfecting your visualization.

That should give you 80% of your results.

Are you counting in your head as you are doing the pranayamas ?

I mentally count and focus on  the prana flowing up my spine. I'm up to 15 seconds

A couple other questions. Id really appreciate if someone can answer.

in  Gamana's book he has a different technique for doing yoni mudra he says to apply the three locks. Which way do you do it?

and should i be doing navi kriya or om japa ? I've replaced any of these chakra type work with more pranayamas 

8 hours ago, see_on_see said:

I was actually trying to do your same routine, so if visualizing prana moving is better, then it's better. So basically in the routine you're doing, mahamudra is the same in all books, Kriya Pranayama you're doing the one from the original Kriya book, and then Kriya Supreme Fire from Gamana, right? 

Right

As for the 5m of one-pointed concentration, do you focus on medulla while looking at the third eye as it says in the original book?

I visualize the prana flowing up to the crown chakra (very top of the skull). And that's where I try to focus. Although sometimes I just defocus instead of focusing up there.

1 hour ago, herghly said:

Are you counting in your head as you are doing the pranayamas ?

I mentally count and focus on  the prana flowing up my spine. I'm up to 15 seconds

I don't count anything.

I keep track of my pranayamas using the fingers on my hand. 4 fingers x 3 parts each = 12 = 1 set of pranayama. Use the thumb to point to each part of the fingers.

59 minutes ago, herghly said:

A couple other questions. Id really appreciate if someone can answer.

in  Gamana's book he has a different technique for doing yoni mudra he says to apply the three locks. Which way do you do it?

and should i be doing navi kriya or om japa ? I've replaced any of these chakra type work with more pranayamas 

I am not doing Navi or Om Japa as they take too much time and my routine is already over an hour long. I prefer to do more pranayamas instead.

Navi might be good later on if you feel like you have an energy block in your 3rd chakra.

I mean do you count how long your breaths are ? otherwise how do you know if your inhale takes 10-20 seconds

@herghly It doesn't matter. You don't focus on that. You focus all your attention on doing a nice slow quality breath. The timing will take care of itself. It takes however long it takes.

Don't do yoga mindlessly. You must understand the intention and purpose of each technique. Learn WHY you are doing it, so then the technical details becomes far less relevant.

The point of pranayama is to pull the prana up the spine. Everything else is secondary and must serve this end. Whatever that takes. Your top goal is to do the highest quality pull possible with each breath.

Learn to think about yoga as though you are inventing it for the first time.

It would be really nice if you shared the benefits kryia yoga has had for you. I started meditation 2 years ago because of your videos and it changed my life. Somehow you convinced me through your words. So what has kryia yoga done to you so far?

On 7/31/2018 at 5:35 PM, herghly said:

I can't find any type of silent kriya yoga retreats. I am considering doing a silent vipassana retreat, but that will mean i wont be able to practice kriya for 10 days. 

Do you think it will have much of a negative effect?

I actually think it will be positive. 

I will start my practice tomorrow i already read the book of Santata Gamana Kriya Yoga Exposed, before i start the practice i have a clarification to practice it right

in my first day what practice should i do first? Should i do all the practices stated in the book of gamana? 

1. Given that i will start practicing yoga by tomorrow is it recommendable to do kriya supreme fire? I read that you must do 90 seconds holding of breath, how can i know that it is already 2 minutes/90 seconds?..

2. In doing Kriya Pranayama, to complete 108 times(1 full mala) is chanting om 1 inhale+ 1 exhale?? Equivalent to 1?? Or 1 chant for inhale + 1 chant for exhale is 2? To do 108? 

3. Is doing Khechari mudra while doing pranayama or kriya supreme fire is fine even if my tongue is not yet perfect putting it to the uvula? 

4. Where exactly is the second chakra? If i will do this step " move energy upward from the root chakra to the third eye", through the Sushumna Nadi,

speaking of Sushumna Nadi, where is that? I search about that thing but i always found animated like this IMG_7552.PNG

i need the specific body parts not x ray shots! 

Where is the 2nd chakra and the 3rd chakra ??

@John Iverson 1. Yes you can. He only advises against it. It's up to you, but personally I do. Holding for 90 seconds is not an absolute necessity, but you want to be getting as close to that as possible. If you can't hold it for atleast half that I probably would work on improving your breath. Work up to it. You know the time by setting a timer at the beginning.

2. You chant Ohm 6 times on the in breath and 6 times on the out breath. 12 chants counts as 1 out of 108. Start with a lower number of pranayama's if thats easier in the beginning.

3. Yes.

4. Google 'where is the 2nd chakra and 3rd chakra'.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

19 minutes ago, Space said:

@John Iverson 1. Yes you can. He only advises against it. It's up to you, but personally I do. Holding for 90 seconds is not an absolute necessity, but you want to be getting as close to that as possible. If you can't hold it for atleast half that I probably would work on improving your breath. Work up to it. You know the time by setting a timer at the beginning.

2. You chant Ohm 6 times on the in breath and 6 times on the out breath. 12 chants counts as 1 out of 108. Start with a lower number of pranayama's if thats easier in the beginning.

3. Yes.

4. Google 'where is the 2nd chakra and 3rd chakra'.

2. If 12 chants is equal to one,.. how many should i do while i am working it out to 108??

4. I already googled it, before i post my questions here, but nothing in google pointed it out to me visually, perinium is easy to point.. but 2nd and 3rd chakra i cannot pin point.. and i am still confused,.. that's why i post this question here..  i want a picture, or video.. or someone will help me see the illustration.. i cannot imagine it.. 

@John Iverson 12 chants counts as 1 (6 on the in breath and 6 on the out breath). So you do 108 x 12.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It doesn't matter. You don't focus on that. You focus all your attention on doing a nice slow quality breath. The timing will take care of itself. It takes however long it takes.

that just blew my shit away, my yoga practice will become so much better now

do you guys find that you can feel the chakras while chanting Om in om japa? it says to spend only 2 seconds at each chakra. It take sme maybe 20 seconds to feel a sensation in the chakra area, does this improve with time? the chapter mentions that you will start to hear Om during daily activities, anyone have experience with this?

@moon777light i havent had any experiences like that yet. I think it comes after practising yoga for a long time