Leo Gura

Kriya Yoga Mega-Thread

2,121 posts in this topic

@Viking  It's not usually my thumb and pinky, but my thumb and pointer finger. My hand just naturally wants to make that mudra. I think they call it Gyan mudra.

On 5/16/2018 at 5:25 PM, John Iverson said:

What advantages Kriya Yoga has?,  compared to inner engineering ?

I'm refering compared to other types and styles of yoga, in my city there are courses and classes for Hatha Yoga, Kundalini Yoga, Sahaja Yoga, Taoist Yoga, Yogalates, etc. Why choose Kriya Yoga instead of the others?

9 minutes ago, Memeito said:

I'm refering compared to other types and styles of yoga, in my city there are courses and classes for Hatha Yoga, Kundalini Yoga, Sahaja Yoga, Taoist Yoga, Yogalates, etc. Why choose Kriya Yoga instead of the others?

it doesnt require a teacher and the road is faster ive heared. its more intense though.

what i really like about it though is that you have to use your inner guide to have success with kriya. you have to follow your intuition and not just blindly follow a guru's words. the guru is within in kriya and you rely on that.

also its a yoga for a housekeeper, meaning its for a man that has a family, a life purpose, etc. you only have to do 30-60 mins a day to achieve full realization, and not a few hours a day.

31 minutes ago, Viking said:

it doesnt require a teacher and the road is faster ive heared. its more intense though.

Actually, Kriya Yoga is supposed to be learned only under the guidance of a guru, there are only a handful of books that attempt to teach you how to do it all by yourself.

@Memeito I agree it would be nice to have a teacher to help clarify some questions and confusions one might have while practicing, but if one doesn't have access to a teacher, I believe this is the next best thing. It is also relatively inexpensive.

Edited by onacloudynight

I’m never sure if I’m doing concentration correctly. It says to imagine you’re looking from the back of your head to brumadhya, and that the chakra is actually in the middle of your head. Apparently a lot of people mistakenly focus on the surface point.

I find my attention  flip flopping between physically looking in the direction of brumadhya while focusing on the outer point, and the back of my head. I’ve never looked forward from the back of my head, I’ve only ever looked out from where my eyes are actually located.

I find it hard to visualize it. I can visualize the back of my head, the front of my head, but I can’t imagine actually looking through my head from the back. Like am I supposed to picture my head as being transparent? I don’t get it lol.

Edited by DMM710

On 22/05/2018 at 1:26 AM, onacloudynight said:

@herghly Just get used to the weird stuff. Get to the point where it just becomes completely normal and it doesn't bother you anymore. It is just another phenomenon, no different from any other phenomenon. It is all in the meaning that you assign to it.

Some examples of weird stuff happening from my own experience:

• Speaking in tongues, chanting nonsensical words.
  • Involuntary vocalizations, yelling, screaming, laughing, growling etc....
  • Feeling of intense energy and power coursing through my body. Feels like electricity is coursing through my body Feeling like I am going to explode.
  • Feeling blood being pumped throughout my body. (Felt very weird)
  • Involuntary body movements, spontaneous mudras and asanas, basically the body just moves on its own. Feels like your possessed (This happens the most for me, but happens so often where now I am just used to it)
  • Spitting on the floor randomly during meditation.
  • Behaving like an animal, feelings of wanting to ravage something. (The key is not to act on any of these feeling, but to just mindfully observe them as they arise)
  • Becoming aware of my shadow.

Basically with all this stuff, you just need to relax into it and accept it, be mindful of all of it, without any resistance. Be a detached observer. Don't react to any of it. That is your mind's game is to get you to react to all of this stuff. This stuff is perfectly normal and is actually a really good sign of growth. You are purifying a lot of shit from your unconscious mind, but all you can see are these outward manifestations. 

If you haven't watched Leo's dark side of meditation video, I would highly recommend it. There he goes in-depth and covers all the possible weird stuff that can happen while doing these type of practices.

This makes me excited! Right now i do 30-40 minutes of kriya then  30 minutes of noting and labeling ... i am thinking now to just do 1 hour of kriya

Someone experiencing anxiety (probably mixed with worry and fear) due to the kriya yoga practice?

I practice on and off before and noticed something similar, now i am practicing everyday (one week but as i practiced before, i am in lesson 6 or 7) and on the last two days i am feeling so much anxiety that is making praticaly impossiple to focus (i need to read and study everyday). I read about it in a book (about kundalini in Leo's list) and it says that due to the gradual kundalini awakening (it doesn't have to be something sudden and dramatic as most people believe) and its interaction with the chakras, thus amplifying everything (good or bad). I noticed that most spiritual practiced has this effect in my after i did a 10-day vipassana retreat last year. I realy need someone experienced in this but i cant find anyone in my area (i live in Brazil). 

For those of you into Kriya, I would highly recommend that in addition to reading the original Kriya book I suggested, you also read the books of Santata Gamana. I now prefer his more simplified techniques. It's a much more streamlined version of Kriya which I think will be even more effective. I found too much needless complexity and variety in the other way.

Right now my technique stack is very simple:

1. Mahamudra x3
  2. Kriya Pranayama x24
  3. Kriya Supreme Fire x3
  4. One-pointed Concentration for 5 mins

Eventually, with lots of practice, you should aim for something like the following stack:

1. Mahamudra x3
  2. Kriya Pranayama x36-x72
  3. Kriya Supreme Fire for 10-20 mins
  4. One-pointed Concentration for 10-20 mins
  5. (Bonus: Yoni Mudra x3)
  6. (Bonus: Kechari mudra)

EDIT: ideally, do this stack twice per day. But if you don't have that much time, at least once per day.

Don't attempt to do this second stack right off the bat. It will not be sustainable. You need to gradually build up to it, like with heavy weightlifting.

I think the original book I recommended is still very good as an introduction and foundation because Gamana's books are so short and thin that they do not provide enough information about Kriya to a total newbie. They are aimed at people who have already been initiated in one school or another.

If you are strictly following the original book, that is okay. You can keep doing that if you want. Or you could switch to this more streamlined version like I decided to do. I don't like learning too many complicated techniques. But that's just me. Both ways should work in the end. It's mostly a matter of style. Although I actually think the streamlined version will end up to be more effective because it concentrates your limited time on the most powerful techniques, and less time is wasted on learning new complex techniques.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

For those of you into Kriya, I would highly recommend that in addition to reading the original Kriya book I suggested, you also read the books of Santata Gamana. I now prefer his more simplified techniques. It's a much more streamlined version of Kriya which I think will be even more effective. I found too much needless complexity in the other way.

1. Mahamudra x3
  2. Kriya Pranayama x24
  3. Kriya Supreme Fire x3

Eventually you should aim for something like the following stack:

1. Mahamudra x3

I think the original book I recommended is still very good as an introduction and foundation because Gamana's books so short and thin that they do not provide enough information about Kriya to a total newbie. They are aimed at people who have already been initiated in one school or another.

Welcome back :D

First one. Boom!!!

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

For those of you into Kriya, I would highly recommend that in addition to reading the original Kriya book I suggested, you also read the books of Santata Gamana. I now prefer his more simplified techniques. It's a much more streamlined version of Kriya which I think will be even more effective. I found too much needless complexity in the other way.

1. Mahamudra x3
  2. Kriya Pranayama x24
  3. Kriya Supreme Fire x3

Eventually you should aim for something like the following stack:

1. Mahamudra x3

I think the original book I recommended is still very good as an introduction and foundation because Gamana's books so short and thin that they do not provide enough information about Kriya to a total newbie. They are aimed at people who have already been initiated in one school or another.

Yooo!! Welcome back dude!

@Leo Gura thanks for the must needed suggestion, the original book is quite confusing. and welcome back :) 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

For those of you into Kriya, I would highly recommend that in addition to reading the original Kriya book I suggested, you also read the books of Santata Gamana. I now prefer his more simplified techniques. It's a much more streamlined version of Kriya which I think will be even more effective. I found too much needless complexity and variety in the other way.

1. Mahamudra x3
  2. Kriya Pranayama x24
  3. Kriya Supreme Fire x3

Eventually, with lots of practice, you should aim for something like the following stack:

1. Mahamudra x3

Don't attempt to do this second stack right off the bat. It will not be sustainable. You need to gradually build up to it, like with heavy weightlifting.

I think the original book I recommended is still very good as an introduction and foundation because Gamana's books are so short and thin that they do not provide enough information about Kriya to a total newbie. They are aimed at people who have already been initiated in one school or another.

If you are strictly following the original book, that is okay. You can keep doing that if you want. Or you could switch to this more streamlined version like I decided to do. I don't like learning too many complicated techniques. But that's just me. Both ways should work in the end. It's mostly a matter of style. Although I actually think the streamlined version will end up to be more effective because it concentrates your limited time on the most powerful techniques, and less time is wasted on learning new complex techniques.

IT'S ALIIVE hahaha

this dude just came back from 30 days of meditation and he comes back to casually write his daily comments as if nothing has changed. Hahaha

1 hour ago, thehero said:

this dude just came back from 30 days of meditation and he comes back to casually write his daily comments as if nothing has changed. Hahaha

After 30 days of being god, he comes back and is probably thinking "Ok how much did you good off you assholes"

20 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

1. Mahamudra x3
  2. Kriya Pranayama x24
  3. Kriya Supreme Fire x3

1. Mahamudra x3

But would you perform the Kriya Pranayama 1, 2 or 3  as the J.C. Stevens book discribes ?