Jonson

Rats

24 posts in this topic

My uncle put out some poison for some rats in my house, me and my dog found a poisoned rat and it's suffering. 

I just don't know what to do. Should I end its life with a big big rock  , then I would feel terrible , but I don't want it to suffer

o.O

Edited by Jonson

A Vet will know what to do. They may be able to pump the contents of the stomach out by putting a tube down the throat.

Edited by dorg

There is no open vet at this hour, 10 pm. 

Cannot view your videos here for some reason.

4 minutes ago, John Lula said:

"Fill a bucket with water and dish soap. Get a shovel. Put the rat in. Most humane way to kill it, much better than letting its insides rot from rat poison. Then bag it and toss it. Use gloves. Rats spread disease, and the scent of a rat attracts other rats. Sure, it's sad that it's dying on your doorstep...but it's probably dying because someone nearby has an infestation and set out poison. Or it's diseased. Best thing you can do is put it out of it's misery and disinfect everything it touched." (https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/d4y3o/injureddying_rat_on_patio_what_do_i_do/)

I would sever its head with a shove. Quick and easy.

R.I.P. Rat.

He is NOT concerned about the rat but the dog.

My mistake I thought he was concerned about the dog

Guys here's what happened . It was just suffering and my dog even bit it a few times . It was dying slowly. I chose to end it . 

I picked up a huge rock, like 10 kg and I just let it fall on the rat. The rat died instantly. I don't know how to feel about it , I honestly just wanted to end his suffering . It was outside in the backyard , my dogs would have killed it anyways . 

I feel like I did the right thing , but I also feel like a killer . 

It could have stayed alive for like 20-30 more minutes i guess . I'm not sure if I did the right thing or not, but it already happened. 

Thanks guys for responding so fast . If i think about what I would do if I were in that situation . I would chose the quick death , I'm really scared of dying slowly. 

@Jonson you did the right thing. it would've died anyways you helped it .

Cute though that you worried about a rat's suffering :)

I hate insects like nothing out of this world, but I still kill them off fast, It hurts my soul to see it's suffering when i like spray it with some shit.

I don't really appreciate the clickbait though for a fucking rat, I thought at first this was ur dog which maybe would make bit more sense .

Endless nuance

@Simon Zackrisson I didn't intend to clickbait . For me it felt important. It's a living creature , just like a human being , i don't know .

Sorry if I wasted your time. 

@Jonson It came from a good heart, don't worry friend. <3

However I'd recommend to try to not operate out of too much feeling arguments for this world. I think alot of people have a misguided sense of empathy today, to what can be called charismatic megafauna. 

They've never considered or been out in the real wild for any significant period of time, never understood that suffering truly is abundant in nature, and felt the brute instincts for personal survival.

Endless nuance

2 hours ago, Simon Zackrisson said:

However I'd recommend to try to not operate out of too much feeling arguments for this world. I think alot of people have a misguided sense of empathy today, to what can be called charismatic megafauna. 

They've never considered or been out in the real wild for any significant period of time, never understood that suffering truly is abundant in nature, and felt the brute instincts for personal survival.

Well, why care about human suffering then? If we are going to design a morality based on suffering, what matters is not who or what the sufferer is. Why should we care about humans if we don't care about rats, from a holistic and consistent moral perspective? I liked the post. And I laughed of the suggestion of taking it to the vet. Imagine the vet's look when someone comes in with a rat that was found. Makes you think about what morality to humans actually is...

With that said, you may also have a point - which is inevitable given that morality is concept.

Edited by Edvard

8 hours ago, Simon Zackrisson said:

?

It's weird to think that I ended the rats life, i feel like a killer.