UDT

Dealing with Aging

12 posts in this topic

I feel the older we get, the faster a year passes by, the harder it is to stay on track with what you´d like to be because you get caught up in deadlines, responsibilities and work (especially as an employee) which only utlizes a small part of your full potential. Now, I see that full acceptance is one way to cope with that. On the other hand I think that most stories end where faith is accepted.

In fact It seems to me that life is always pulling you towards acceptance and surrender while keeping hustling, keeping on fighting and trying despite the hits in the face you get, is what leaves a chance to a "better" life. (All above from a materialist and practical standpoint of the Ego). How do you deal with aging, how do you deal with that you left the stages of your life where you could fuck around and if it gets really bad you move in back with your parents. How to embrace this fact of being ultimately alone and battling for survival is what life is like and will be until you die?

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

Its no getting older what makes the year pass faster. Is being stick to adult routines. When we were kids every day discovered new things, learned, lives new experiences. And the summer vacations felt like a year. When every day you do the same the mind percieves the time very fast because there arent reference experiences to measure time.

Do diferent things, new things, new places and your perception will change a lot.

Life gets easier as you age because you can play the game of life without getting so emotionally affected by it.  When you’re young you take everything so personally.  When you get older you stop expecting things to be fair.  You make them fair to you, without being emotionally affected by it.  Sometimes you have to fight a little bit.  That’s ok.  You’ll watch yourself fight.  That’s life.  Fighting is a part of life — just don’t identify with it Egoically.

@UDT That's not dealing with aging, that's dealing with establishing independence and self-efficacy.

Dealing with aging is when your body starts to give out and it dawns on you that you've been taking youth and health for granted.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

"Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth...."

(a line from one of my favorite poems, which reads like an instruction manual for Life)

3 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Life gets easier as you age because you can play the game of life without getting so emotionally affected by it.  When you’re young you take everything so personally.  When you get older you stop expecting things to be fair.  You make them fair to you, without being emotionally affected by it.  Sometimes you have to fight a little bit.  That’s ok.  You’ll watch yourself fight.  That’s life.  Fighting is a part of life — just don’t identify with it Egoically.

I like these words. Thank you.   

@UDT If you step back behind the scenes and go into observer mode (ie not thinker mode) you see that all the show (display/appearance) is driven by emotion and thought - and thought drives emotion.

And you can carry on in observer mode watching how thought/emotion drives/does it all.

1 hour ago, dorg said:

@UDT If you step back behind the scenes and go into observer mode (ie not thinker mode) you see that all the show (display/appearance) is driven by emotion and thought - and thought drives emotion.

And you can carry on in observer mode watching how thought/emotion drives/does it all.

You can even get to the point where you lose the causal relation.  Thoughts and emotions don’t cause anything.  Cause is a thought ‘about’ reality not reality itself.  Cause is a story.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

2 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

You can even get to the point where you lose the causal relation.  Thoughts and emotions don’t cause anything.  Cause is a thought ‘about’ reality not reality.

Ok, so how do you frame that so that it is of use to @UDT ?

On 22/03/2018 at 11:28 AM, Leo Gura said:

@UDT That's not dealing with aging, that's dealing with establishing independence and self-efficacy.

Dealing with aging is when your body starts to give out and it dawns on you that you've been taking youth and health for granted.

true.

On 22/03/2018 at 9:39 PM, Joseph Maynor said:

You can even get to the point where you lose the causal relation.  Thoughts and emotions don’t cause anything.  Cause is a thought ‘about’ reality not reality itself.  Cause is a story.

yes I see this. Nevertheless the "I" in the story has the pressure to act to make the overall story more pleasent. Even with complete detachement I´d need to find a house and garden to get food, water and shelter somehow.

Being in the "Observer-mode" (so realizing the existence of the I as one aspect of reality) is a luxury as it requires the first 2 bottoms of the Maslows pyramid to be cleared.

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

13 hours ago, UDT said:

yes I see this. Nevertheless the "I" in the story has the pressure to act to make the overall story more pleasent. Even with complete detachement I´d need to find a house and garden to get food, water and shelter somehow.

Being in the "Observer-mode" (so realizing the existence of the I as one aspect of reality) is a luxury as it requires the first 2 bottoms of the Maslows pyramid to be cleared.

Being in observer-mode does not mean that things will not get done. It is merely the recognition that all action is driven by thought-emotion, not the "I". The "I" is just an add-on - the thought-emotion that is thought to be the doer of the action. It isn't as thought-emotion does it.

Watch how thought and emotion drives 'your' body to act. Do you see this - and the I thought thinking it does it?