Wouter

web programming language for a blog with minimalistic lay-out

11 posts in this topic

I would like to start a blog and program it myself (rather than wordpress, etct). What would be a good language for a minimalistic website (blog) such as:

https://zenhabits.net/archives/

What would be a good language or  combination for this (HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, PHP,...?)

Edited by Wouter

You don't really need PHP if you aren't going to serve the website yourself. Otherwise javascript, html and css would be your go to. If you really wanted to you could also use python but yea.

7 minutes ago, Aimblack said:

You don't really need PHP if you aren't going to serve the website yourself. Otherwise javascript, html and css would be your go to. If you really wanted to you could also use python but yea.

That's true. If you did require your own backend, etc. I'd recommend going with something Node based so you don't have to learn yet another coding language since it's also based on Javascript.

I made a blog for uni with php, js, html,css and some sql. (as a it student for an exam, in other words it took 6 hours and is hardly well made)

You can skip the sql if you don't want the database.

I can give you a zipped version of it if you want. people can like/dislike and comment on it. 

3 minutes ago, hundreth said:

That's true. If you did require your own backend, etc. I'd recommend going with something Node based so you don't have to learn yet another coding language since it's also based on Javascript.

+1 But if this is your first project I would advise you to just do the front-end in any case https://www.freecodecamp.org/ is a pretty nice place to learn everything you would need to learn.

Use plain html, css and javascript.

if you need some server side logic just Use this: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=meteor+javascript+framework&oq=meteor+javascript+framework&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4610j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The good thing about meteor, is that it uses javascript, which is the same thing as your front end language. That way your learning curve gets cut in half. Meteor has so many templates that setting up a blog is going to be easy for you to do. 

If you want a cool editor to do designs in, try this: http://brackets.io/ Really good editor. 

Don't use what you see is what you get editors like dreamweaver and adobe edge reflow, you want to embody the coding process so that if you want to do more advanced things in the future, you can. 

13 hours ago, electroBeam said:

Use plain html, css and javascript.

JQuery also optional to have some animations and such.

@ajasatya

I like the style of your answers ajasatya. You have an impact on me when I read what you write. 

I saw your blog and that your name is Arthur Paulino. I also read a bit of the algorithms you explain , that I understand quite well even if they are in Portuguese  since I speak Italian and Spanish and I studied physics in University. 

Edited by nick96

Observe reality as it is, not as you would like it to be 

What language? HTML, CSS and Javascript are standard for the front end. If you will only ever need it to be a blog, you need just that or ready made solutions to get up and going quickly. If you may possibly want to extend it to a larger website, pick what you know well, or if wanting to try something new, I recommend Ruby on Rails. It's exactly what I'm working with now to make a minimalist blog, but I want to extend the project to a full-blown website for my business over time. I'm making my own blog implementation because I've some special needs, but there are many gems that you can install to set a blog up in no time.

Edited by Huginn

8 hours ago, nick96 said:

@ajasatya

I like the style of your answers ajasatya. You have an impact on me when I read what you write. 

I saw your blog and that your name is Arthur Paulino. I also read a bit of the algorithms you explain , that I understand quite well even if they are in Portuguese  since I speak Italian and Spanish and I studied physics in University. 

oh nice. you're welcome :)

so... another mathematician!

unborn Truth