Haniff

Reading and writing in order to self-actualise

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys- i am new Leo fan. So impressed by his self actualization video that i shed tears after seeing those, at the thought that i have been saved. Ok, may be not that dramatic. I am planning on very ambitious self actualization journey. It entails eventually to speak for hours at home every day in order to become polished speakers (i am member in 5 toastmasters club btw in Melbourne). However, i struggle to come up with things to talk about. To overcome this i plan to read some of the books Leo recommended, summarise them in writing and also i want to make foray into poetry, by reading and writing commentary on various famous poems. After doing this for months, i plan to get into talking aloud. Hopefully, by then i will have more and quality things to talk aloud about. Any thoughts on this plan?

I've never had any intention of talking aloud about these things, Haniff~ but entertaining this approach for at least a few months sounds like a great idea. It's a tremendous boon to have been inspired and moved by the creator and developer of this website enough to envision integrating uplifting subject matter into your natural bent for oratory.

Study, ponder, write and give voice to what you know in your heart based on real experience and wordlessly spontaneous insight. Research this passion deeply for the rest of your life~ even if you only talk aloud for hours with no ones' knowledge.

The expression of the phenomenal aspects of self-actualization requires a great breadth of study, absorption and experience into the source (of your own natural insight) of this planet's current, long-remembered (and long-forgotten) non-psychological/awareness traditions. That, in conjunction with patterns of pre-historic human migration on this planet has long fascinated me. When authentic personal vision such as yours moves one to act on such matters, the result can be transcendent in that its expression in terms of practical oratory cannot be casually mistaken for proselytizing.

That you get to study and wonder about all the great treatises, poems, songs and culturally (or otherwise) derived symbolic genres and further devise logical and experientially-based commentary to clarify and express the manifold layers of significance embedded in the great works of humanity's inconceivably inspired literary (and scientific) progeny is icing on the cake.

If I didn't covet anonymity, I wonder if someday maybe I might ever be moved to do that too like you!

ed note: add "is icing on the cake" to penultimate paragraph

Edited by deci belle

Nana i ke kumu  Ka imi loa

deci belle. thanks for your affirmation. i have read before that there was a greek or some ancient guy who dug a whole in ground in order to practise his public speaking. I either read this or it could just be figment of my imagination. 

Just to give a bit more background, i am 37, had been pretty much social retard most of my life, having been born in illiterate and religious family. You can guess my religion by my name. So i learnt value of civilization/self actualization hard way. 

Also wanted to say that you really have a way with words. I wish to emulate you some day! thanks once again for such an articulate, heartfelt encouragement!

You're welcome, Haniff~ wow!! That's incredible about your challenges and how you are working with them directly to follow your light.

The famous American guitarist Chet Atkins would practice in tiled bathrooms for the echo!

Maybe you could use a rental storage space or metal shipping container?

I can't guess the name of the religious tradition you grew up with by your name, Haniff-- (I don't get jokes sometimes~ they just go over my head possibly due to some sort of autistic condition). I end up laughing anyway because the people think it's funny …(get it?) hahahhaaa!!

Also I didn't have brothers and sisters so I never learned how to fight properly— but I got better eventually.

I'll make a correction here to qualify my original post:

It's a tremendous boon to have been inspired and moved by the creator and developer of this website enough to envision integrating uplifting subject matter into your natural bent hard-won struggle for embracing oratory.

Oh, and thank you very much, Haniff— for the compliment too! I guess it comes with the territory bit by bit by a long dedication to effectively expressing a living tradition that encourages subtly adapting the ineffable to conditions.

ed note: add quote and last paragraph

Edited by deci belle

Nana i ke kumu  Ka imi loa

I’m glad you’re excited about this work.  Welcome to the Personal Development Path!

deci belle, i grew up in Muslim Pakistani culture in Malaysia for most life with exception of 8 years in Pakistan to study high school. thankfully my parents were not hardcore religious folks, they still let me study in school. pretty much squandered all first three decades of my life not learning much. thats how religion can fuck up one's life. the watershed event of my life was getting fired from my manager role in Singapore for not being an effective manager. the words my boss used my "foundations are weak".  That i have the looks and body (i work out a lot) of manager, but not the aura.

After leaving Singapore, i migrated to Australia (Melbourne) with sole purpose of become full time toastmasters and drive uber part time for pocket money. Then i landed with a job. So now i attend 5 clubs. I decided to rent a one bedroom in middle of the city so all these clubs becomes accessible physically. now i am in position of being able to dedicate myself to self actualization. i know i am lucky bastard, how many of us are/have been in position that i am now!

I stumbled into Leo's videos recently and didnt think much of him at the start, continued to watch for a while. then one day i saw this self actualization video and i was like dude, this is it. I found my Prophet. 

Now i am looking to dedicate all my non working, non sleeping, non gymming hours to reading and writing and speaking. I wana eventually reach to stage where i spend at least 4 hours a day writing and speaking.

I am also looking to sign up on some online undergrad literature courses so i could get my basics right! This weekend i have a speech to give, the topic i chose to speak on is Classic Russian Literature. U guessed it right, i am Dostoyevsky big fan!

Feels great to be in touch with similar minded people! Thanks to Leo for this platform!

Joseph-thanks! There is no better thing to do with life mate!:)