Leo Gura

New 6-Part Osho Cult Documentary Just Out On Netflix

187 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Moreira said:

I cannot believe that Leo accept the mainstream media version of Osho without investigating deeply tre truth. Its clear that was a government plot to discredit osho even a conspiracy to poison him and kill him. Leo do you know who owns the media channels and netflix right?

So, are you saying that the media "created" or "fabricated" that video where you can see him entering the ashram in a Rolls Royce?

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Osho’s Rolls Royces

Question: People are very much interested in your Rolls Royces. What do You want to prove with this, so many cars and so much luxury around You?

Answer: Why are people concerned? Then certainly they need it; then more Rolls Royces will be here. Until they stop asking me, more and more Rolls Royces are going to be here. Now it has to be seen that it is a challenge: the day nobody asks me about Rolls Royces, they will not be coming.
People's interest in Rolls Royces shows their mind. They are not interested what is happening here. They don't ask about meditation, they don't ask about sannyas, they don't ask about people's life, love, the laughter that happens in this desert. They only ask about Rolls Royces. That means I have touched some painful nerve. And I will go on pressing it till they stop asking.

I am not a worshipper of poverty. That's what those Rolls Royces prove. I respect wealth. Nobody before me had the guts to say it. The pope cannot say that he respects wealth, although he is the wealthiest man on the earth.

I am not a hypocrite. I am the poorest man on the earth. I don't have a single cent with me. But I want to show these people what attracts their mind. If there were no Rolls Royces here, perhaps there would be nothing for the whole world ask about me, about you, about meditation, about initiation into sannyas, about love, about anything. It is for those idiots that I am keeping all those Rolls Royces, because they cannot move their eyes away from those Rolls Royces. And meanwhile I will go on pouring other things in their minds. Without those Rolls Royces they would not have asked a single question.

Those Rolls Royces are doing their work. Every idiot around the world is interested in them. And I want them to be somehow interested—in anything in Rajneeshpuram. Then we will manage about other things.

So tell those people—when anybody asks, tell them that "These Rolls Royces are for you idiots. Otherwise you are not interested in anything." Once they stop asking about Rolls Royces, then I will have to think of something else, whether to have rockets which are going to the moon…. I will have to think of something else. 

I received a letter from a bishop of Wasco County, who had been for almost five years condemning my Rolls Royces. In every Sunday sermon he was not preaching Jesus Christ, he was preaching me and my Rolls Royces. The day I was leaving he wrote a letter to me, "Now you are leaving, it will be great kindness on your part if you can donate one Rolls Royce to this church." Now, this shows the man….
I informed him, "Would you like all ninety-three, or only one?"
And a letter came, "If you can give all ninety-three, that is just the right thing. You are really great. I'm very sorry that I condemned you for five years. You are a man to be worshiped."
It is a very strange world if you understand people: whatever they are saying shows more about them than it shows about the person they are talking about.

50 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

So, are you saying that the media "created" or "fabricated" that video where you can see him entering the ashram in a Rolls Royce?

No, the media misleaded the Rolls Royce thing to make Osho look like a greedy guru.  The truth is the RR issue was a metaphore for sharp minds to make fun of the materialism of humanity, but masses cannot catch sublte irony.

1 minute ago, Moreira said:

No, the media misleaded the Rolls Royce thing to make Osho look like a greedy guru.  The truth is the RR issue was a metaphore for sharp minds to make fun of the materialism of humanity, but masses cannot catch sublte irony.

I don't know if the media misled. I don't know if he's greedy or not. I find his teachings good, I often listen to them and I go to his website.

But... I don't believe anything the media says or even what he says. He can say that he did it to make fun of materialism, if that's true, great for him.

The only thing I say is don't believe in anyone, don't follow anyone. You can see the video with an open mind and see what others have to say about him and draw your own conclusions. You never know.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

11 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

Osho’s Rolls Royces

That proves nothing. Anyway, I am not condemning him or saying he's good or bad for having a Rolls Royce, I just say... DON'T FOLLOW ANYONE.

B|

I watched two and a half episodes last night. 

The documentary is really not so much about Osho but more about his cult and the followers. 

I think it does a pretty good job showing the perspectives from both sides. 

Its best watched from a neutral position.

Just now, SFRL said:

I watched two and a half episodes last night. 

The documentary is really not so much about Osho but more about his cult and the followers. 

I think it does a pretty good job showing the perspectives from both sides. 

Its best watched from a neutral position.

Exactly what I was pointing to, thanks @SFRL

1 hour ago, Moreira said:

I cannot believe that Leo accept the mainstream media version of Osho without investigating deeply tre truth. Its clear that was a government plot to discredit osho even a conspiracy to poison him and kill him. Leo do you know who owns the media channels and netflix right?

I don't doubt Osho's enlightenment. He was a squirrely guru tho. And the cult around seems a bit irresponsible.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

From what I know it was a good place in general, Osho's cool, and the followers I met were good people.

A few things to keep in mind: he was extremely popular all over the world, and he taught not only non-duality but also sought to piss off all the status quo's, making fun of everything, including his followers and his own views.

Now, especially back a few decades ago, that doesn't rime well, and given how toxic people are, you can't expect less than a huge pile of reactive vomit around it, both from the hyped or frustrated followers themselves and from an more frustrated world.  

This is the trailer by the way, actually surprised to see a majority support Osho still

Also, he didn't buy any of Rollce Royces himself

Edited by AlwaysBeNice

5 hours ago, Moreira said:

Leo do you know who owns the media channels and netflix right?

who?

On topic: I have seen some of Osho's video and see him to be quite radical especially regarding moral ideas, but interesting nonetheless. I shall check out this documentary

10 hours ago, Rilles said:

Follow the teaching, not the teacher:P, many enlightened masters have had problems (from a Western standpoint) Chogyam Trungpa was an enlightened alcoholic lol. Osho has very good teachings, what he chose to do with his life is his problem.

See, I get enlightened people acting unreasonable from my point of view, or even enlightened people enjoying luxury. But how could someone who is enlightened be addicted to alcohol? How is that not a contradiction?

@MM1988 they are not addicted to alcohol. They drink it for fun. They can stop anytime they want. Alchohol addicts can’t. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

But Trungpa did show pretty hardcore signs of alcoholism, he had DUIs, he drank glasses of gin in the morning, he taught while drunk of his a**. This is all from Wikipedia though, maybe its all horsesh**, we'll never know.:P

Dont look at me! Look inside!

6 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

@MM1988 they are not addicted to alcohol. They drink it for fun. They can stop anytime they want. Alchohol addicts can’t. 

According to his wikipedia page this guy had a cocaine habit and drank himself to death. What even is the difference between an alcohol addict and this guy than? 

@MM1988 an addict can’t stop his addiction even though they usually want to. If this guy was enlightened, he didn’t even want to stop drinking. Becoming enlightened makes you care less about the body. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

25 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

@MM1988 an addict can’t stop his addiction even though they usually want to. If this guy was enlightened, he didn’t even want to stop drinking. Becoming enlightened makes you care less about the body. 

The value of the organism/body is determined on the position/standpoint of thought. Your point of reference, in that case being measure, is the product of the limits of measure itself. The organism/body is of itself and does not give itslf a specific value nor does it need to. However the health of the organism is in direct correlation with the movment of mind and sense of space. 

To say that a wise one cares less about the organism implies complete ignorance of what is ‘fact’ and gives great importance to what one thinks it is, which is an ‘idea’ ..this is an indication of still being caught and slave to the stream of thinking and forming opinions from the standpoint of self/ego.  

Being wise actully means not giving absolute importance and authority to what the mind/thought formulates as significant or actual. Seeing the limits of the stream of thought brings about true harmony of the organism/environment. Your idea of the value of the organism is determined on your bias and prejudices through your own personal experience and personal circumstance. 

Not clinging to the physical body is one thing. Not appreciating the organism as the vessel and tool to experience life is another. 

I think this position of ‘thinking’ the body isn’t that important is just a viewpoint that one has at a certain point in there life/learning. 

So what I’m saying is don’t let the ego ‘idea’ alienate you from the body ‘fact’ 

Interesting thread, Leo.

I said this before in another thread. There's a saying:

"It's not about the pointer; it's about what's being pointed at."

So, in this case, if you're teaching non-duality, like through a life purpose, you got to be aware of what your followers are doing. If you live with them in an ashram especially, they may not give you the best reputation when they misbehave or if society doesn't accept their behaviour. They may misinterpret that. The media may also misinterpret that and it goes out of line.

1 hour ago, Faceless said:

The value of the organism/body is determined on the position/standpoint of thought. Your point of reference, in that case being measure, is the product of the limits of measure itself. The organism/body is of itself and does not give itslf a specific value nor does it need to. However the health of the organism is in direct correlation with the movment of mind and sense of space. 

To say that a wise one cares less about the organism implies complete ignorance of what is ‘fact’ and gives great importance to what one thinks it is, which is an ‘idea’ ..this is an indication of still being caught and slave to the stream of thinking and forming opinions from the standpoint of self/ego.  

Being wise actully means not giving absolute importance and authority to what the mind/thought formulates as significant or actual. Seeing the limits of the stream of thought brings about true harmony of the organism/environment. Your idea of the value of the organism is determined on your bias and prejudices through your own personal experience and personal circumstance. 

Not clinging to the physical body is one thing. Not appreciating the organism as the vessel and tool to experience life is another. 

I think this position of ‘thinking’ the body isn’t that important is just a viewpoint that one has at a certain point in there life/learning. 

I know two great, currently alive teachers (not mainstream, but not unknown either).

the other one drinks energy drinks all the time, the other one smokes cigs/pipe.

Both of them have said that the habit will drop when it drops. and they are fine if it does not drop.

They dont care, they dont beat themselves over their "bad" habit like "normal" people do.

This is why I sometimes get skeptical about all this process... What if you become more and more deluded and what if Enlightenment does not exist? What if we are all wrong? What if some people are just using this concept to mislead people and get material gains. I am not speaking about OSHO since I don't know much about him. I am just wondering in general...

And yes I have had very powerful glimpses and samadhi moments but still... what if we are missing something.

Edited by egoless