Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elliot

Tips for talking effectively

6 posts in this topic

Hello guys!

What are your tips to fix issues about communications?

Such as talking too fast, making broke - poor sentences, can't describe or tell clearly what you are saying instead of it  making long and broken sentences.

How can we tell stories more interestingly and describe the subject we are talking about more clearly?

Edited by Elliot

I don't give any advice here. It suffices to say that clear communication is a fundamental skill to have. It requires clarity of mind. 

Leo has a video about communication skills. You can check his video. 

Edited by Self-Mastery

@Elliot Be aware and observe. Watch great story tellers - such as Tedtalks, great comedians. Notice their range of voice, their timing, pauses. How well it flows.

Watch poor story tellers - why are they confusing and boring? Do they ramble? Mumble? Go off on tangents? How it is choppy.

Take notes and mimic the great story tellers. Practice, observe your audience, get feedback. Like becoming a good basketball player.

You can have a teacher and study better about language skills and improve them, like school subject. But you can also read articles and formal stuff to improve your writting and watch some talks or read books about improving that. A youtube channel named : "Charisma on Command" could help you , watch all of his content

2 hours ago, Sahil Pandit said:

@Elliot  Have no fear, @aurum is here.

B| xD

3 hours ago, Elliot said:

Such as talking too fast, making broke - poor sentences, can't describe or tell clearly what you are saying instead of it  making long and broken sentences.

Some of this definitely comes from inner blocks. For instance, if you talk too fast that's sometimes a sign that you are nervous. The "talking too fast" is just a symptom.

All the inner work Leo talks about here, e.g meditation / yoga, will help you out here.

@Serotoninluv also made good points. Spend more time around great communicators, even if only virtually. Your subconscious is going to pick up on those subtle little cues that make them effective at what they do.

I'd also argue that there's no one "right way" to communicate. They all have value depending on the context.

When I'm making YouTube videos on my channel, these are the main variables I'm looking at to judge my delivery:

1) Volume. How loud does the person talk? Great communicators know how to project their voice, but also speak softly when necessary to draw attention in.

2) Pitch. You can speak in a HIGH VOICE or a lowwww voice. Mix it up.

3) Tempo. You can speak reallyreallyreally FAST!. Or, ya know, slow...it...down. Pause.

4) Emotions. Emotional flatlines are boring, fully express your range of emotions.

5) Certainty. No one will buy into what you're saying if you do not buy in first. Drink your own kool-aid.

I'd would try recording yourself talking and look at how you do on each of these areas. Then just practice, practice, practice.

15 hours ago, Elliot said:

How can we tell stories more interestingly and describe the subject we are talking about more clearly?

This is actually a separate question on its own.

First off, there are no inherently interesting stories. There most objective "best" story in the world will fall flat if your delivery isn't where it should be. See ^ for work on that.

The second thing is to realize that stories should be about you, not the story.

You could tell an amazing story with lots of action, plot twists, celebrity appearances and great delivery, but if it doesn't say anything about you, that's a mistake.

For that reason, a good story to tell in real life might actually be boring on the surface, but one that reveals a lot about who you are as a person.

Also, every story should have a point. Especially if you're trying to influence someone. There's a satisfying conclusion and the listener feels like they understood exactly why they took the time to pay attention.

So try taking some of these ideas and play with them. Start telling stories all the time, no matter who you interact with.