Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clown

The need for a living teacher/guru?

11 posts in this topic

This is something that I keep on pondering about.

Many renowned spiritual teachers and gurus emphasize the importance of having a living spiritual teacher to guide you. Many even say that without gurus guidance, you can't make it. On the other hand there's a lot of talk about the inner guru, the intuition or the silent guiding voice inside us all. 

I'd say I understand the guru-argument very well considering times before the internet and readily available spiritual books and other materials. If you lived in a small village and had an urge to do spiritual seeking but absolutely no idea of what it even means - In that case a teacher is absolutely needed to point one in the right direction. Also the many spiritual traps might be difficult to avoid without outside guidance. Such as developing a spiritual ego etc.

Anyway, today we have the luxury of Youtube and other internet sites that have huge amounts of information, talks and guidance for spiritual seekers. Of course you need to have some discernment on that too, but generally the good teachers are known in spiritual circles.

Now I'm wondering if all the material online and on books can be of any substitute for a teacher/guru. Certainly you need to have a high sense of honesty about your own progress, an ability to see that you're not being phony-holy or deceiving yourself on how far you've gotten. In my case, I have almost always found a direct answer to any question I might have had from some of the teachers who have videos on Youtube (Adyashanti, Rubert Spira, Francis Lucille, Sadhguru etc). 

Then there's the question of "energetic transmission" and the presence of an awakened being. Do you feel that's something that is absolutely essential and can't be experienced in any other way than to be physically close to the awakened person?

The reason I'm asking your thoughts about this is because I live in a place where I have no access or information of any valid spiritual teachers. It's somewhat disheartening sometimes to read statements of "not being able to make progress without the grace of a living guru". 

In the East, the blessing of a master is very very significant. The west has remained completely unaware of the phenomenon. The West knows teachers, not masters. Teachers are those who teach you about truth. A master is one who gives you the taste of it. A teacher may be someone who does not know himself, he may have learned from other teachers. Seek a master. Teachers are many, masters are few.

And how will you seek a master? Just move.

~ Osho, Tantra: The Supreme Understanding

When the disciple is ready the master appears. It is so. If you are ready, the master will appear. And your readiness is your availability; it is to be available.

It can be a very helpful source of personal guidance, awakening/energetic catalysation and a good friend.

But the master comes and goes, appears and disappears, so ultimately it's still useless, this about slowing down and stopping the mind, the beauty of it is that you don't need anything to have, do or know, to experience that. 

@Clown Here is another question. I feel like I would make more progress if I had an opportunity to talk to someone offline on a regular basis. Rupert Spira talks about the importance of having a spiritual teacher.  I need a guru! But how do I find one? 

Edited by perlita

There is no need for a guru unless you think there is 

@Clown I would say that you don't need or want a guru, but it is extremely valuable to meet and learn from enlightened masters face-to-face. It's a very different experience than watching a YT video or reading a book.

The trap would be to fall in love with one teacher and stop thinking critically and stop studying various sources. But if you are serious about this work, you should get off your ass and go meet some quality teachers face-to-face. They will help transform you.

Just don't start fawning all over them.

And, yes, STILL read books and watch YT videos. Do not subscribe to any one teacher or teaching.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

36 minutes ago, perlita said:

Know anyone is the Seattle area?

Name: Annetta 

... but I have not seen her since few months on this forum !

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Clown I would say that you don't need or want a guru, but it is extremely valuable to meet and learn from enlightened masters face-to-face. It's a very different experience than watching a YT video or reading a book.

The trap would be to fall in love with one teacher and stop thinking critically and stop studying various sources. But if you are serious about this work, you should get off your ass and go meet some quality teachers face-to-face. They will help transform you.

Just don't start fawning all over them.

And, yes, STILL read books and watch YT videos. Do not subscribe to any one teacher or teaching.

Thanks for your comment!

Against all expectations I found out that a certain self-realized being is actually visiting my town next month and gives personal face to face -sessions and a satsang all on the same day. So it seems that there actually is some kind of synchronicity to this, because I would've never thought that I'd have any opportunities like that where I live.