bslpiontds

Leo's yoga posture (pain) question.

20 posts in this topic

So I've been trying the posture which Leo introduced at the blog. I headed for 60 minutes in that posture, but about 10 minutes in, a pain arose in my left leg. And the pain didn't go away. At the 40 minute mark, I decided to change posture because I thought the pain wasn't healthy for my leg, and I nearly couldn't stand it any longer. But I still, think the posture is super good if the pain wasn't that immense.

So for the next time, should I just keep sitting with the pain? And is it fine if my legs fall asleep while meditating? Or am I maybe not doing the posture correctly if it hurts that much? 

(I used a 2-inch yoga brick to sit on, and yoga mat for my legs)

Daily stretching might help you.

How comfortable postures feel depends on many factors, from your weight, to your age, to your body shape, to your flexibility, to your circulation, etc.

Find a posture that's comfortable enough so you can sit for at least 30 minutes and focus on your Kriya techniques. If you are too distracted by pain to do the techniques, that's no good.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Consider a meditation bench. It's not one of the suggested poses in the Kriya book, but it's provides a straight upright spine, and I gotta think if sitting is allowed then this would be. And it's very comfortable and doesn't require much flexibility. Only troublesome spot is the ankles, but putting a towel or blanket under your feet solves that problem. And unless you're using your hands, resting them on your thighs or in your pockets is very comfortable   

maxresdefault.jpg

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

Thx for the suggestions! 

I sat in the yoga posture for 45 minutes today. The pain was again immense at 35-40 minutes in, but I kept staying mindful and kind of absorbing myself in the pain. Somehow that got me into like a minor samadhi experience where I in a focused state felt the pain constantly arising/passing, and suddenly the boundaries of body/mind started fading away and "I" could now tolerate the pain in a whole other way, I kind of stopped resisting it. It was a very peaceful state of mind, but not blissful.
Pretty profound for me so far.

@bslpiontds Maybe instead of yoga you should just sit on a bed of nails.

;)

Maybe it will help you. I spend a lot of time in front of computer and have an improper posture. Which is really a pain in the ass if you want to start yoga. So, looking for solution I found Big Stretch Reminder program. It's very simple and interrupts you every 20 minutes to do some stretching. So far it helps. 

Edited by Girzo

@Greatnestwithin I don't use any bench. I showed you on my blog what I use.

lol at that 350$ chair. Capitalism finds a way to make even sitting around doing nothing expensive.

1 hour ago, MM1988 said:

lol at that 350$ chair. Capitalism finds a way to make even sitting around doing nothing expensive.

Almost as silly as spending $1000 on a TV ;)

yeah aaalmost. you need a tv to watch tv after all, but I get it

I mean, if 350$ chair = awakening
then why not sit a bit more hours in that supermarket

But maybe there's something about "mindfulness * pain = purification"

Edited by bslpiontds

@Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj Sure, I am aware of that. But if I can sit 30 minutes without too much strain. Then the last 15-30m isn't gonna make it critical I think.
My shin has been slightly tender today, but I think it's alright.

48 minutes ago, bslpiontds said:

@Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj Sure, I am aware of that. But if I can sit 30 minutes without too much strain. Then the last 15-30m isn't gonna make it critical I think.
My shin has been slightly tender today, but I think it's alright.

Yeah! As long as there isn't any bone to bone action or forceful attitude towards ones posture everyone should be fine.

Edited by Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj

Hallå