Epiphany_Inspired

THE NEUROCHEMISTRY OF SEX?

5 posts in this topic

Seems legit to an extent. I browsed through the entire 6 parts.

@Arion I skimmed the rest now too... One part of me thinks that this is just scientists trying to do the same thing as uptight religious folks =  to demonize the orgasm....like we should all wear self imposed virtual chastity belts...lol....  the other part of me agrees with you that this may indeed be correct... and the dopamine and prolactin rollercoaster described sounds all too familiar in our human relationships... I totally get it... and the dopamine cycle does seem to create dysfunction...but, if there was no prolactin, there would be a lot more sex addiction in our culture... i'm thinking of the Beatles song "why don't we do it in the road" ....without prolactin that would likely be happening everywhere....lol... I really doubt most humans would get on board the "only experiencing sex/affection without orgasm train" willingly... and is that the only way to have healthy, long-term monogamous relationships?

I can really see now how this is like sugar/ morphine/ etc for the dopamine fix ... why some people feel the need to regularly masturbate to keep up their dopamine levels, like a craving..... personally, I can go either way - into that world of passion or into celibacy...  but celibacy for me is a single person thing.... if I was in a relationship, I would want to have sex... and it seems totally abnormal to avoid orgasm.... sex isn't just for procreation....

I feel there are amazing intimate tantric experiences that do not need to involve orgasm... and perhaps there are some that do.... I like cuddling and innocent affection too, I agree that oxytocin from this bonding is very beneficial .... but isn't life meant to be fully enjoyed? are orgasms really the equivalent of eating junk food (based on the neurochemical repercussions in our relationships)? What is up with this, is it true?

8 hours ago, Epiphany_Inspired said:

are orgasms really the equivalent of eating junk food (based on the neurochemical repercussions in our relationships)?

Yep. Read the book "Cupid's poisoned arrow" by Marnia Robinson. This book goes in depth about everything your talking about. 

@Psyche_92 oh...man...is it just me that so does not want it to be true? ...lol... thank you truly for the resource though.... I met up with a friend that had developed a sex addiction... she was going crazy about it... and that lead me to this path of study, likely for good reason... I really appreciate your help, I will see if the library has it on audio book tomorrow, thanks!