Tearos

Ego death = Suicidal behavior?

11 posts in this topic

If the Ego is the illusion of me, and I want to get rid of/kill the Ego by reaching Enlightenment - Does that essentially make me suicidal?
(This is meant both as a joke and a deep question. I know there is no "I" to be suicidal).

Have a great weekend!
Tearos/Fred

Careful how you phrase things, because some noobs may misunderstand you and harm themselves. You don't want that blood on your hands.

Best not to joke around about suicide.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Tearos

There comes a point where you cross the boundary of the ego and enter into the world of egolessness. That point is the point of great fear — because it looks like death. And, in fact, it is a kind of death: the ego disappears.

And up to now that has been your identity. Up to now that’s what you have been thinking you are. And suddenly it starts evaporating. A great fear grips the heart: “I am dying!” because your identity is dying. You are not really dying; in fact, you are being born. It is a rebirth, it is a true birth. It is like the seed dying into the soil. The seed must be feeling afraid, nervous, trembling. How can the seed trust that once he is gone there will be a great tree and great flowering? The seed will not be there to witness it; no seed has ever witnessed it, so how can this seed believe and trust?

And the same happens with the ego: the ego cannot trust that there is anything more than itself And the ego is dying, and the ego starts breathing its last, and you become afraid. Many people turn back from that point, rush back out.

Source – Osho Book “The Fish in the Sea is Not Thirsty”

@Tearos It is about realizing who you really are, already and always have been not your ego. So there is no need to hurt yourself while manifested in this physical form. From the dualistic perspective it seems to appear that one has to get rid of the ego or kill it, but from the nondual perspective it is simply recognizing that it was never really there but of a believed thought. Not suicidal but wanting a shift in perspective is how I would put it. 

Edited by JustinS

Suicide is a very egoistic action!!!It's the opposite of enlightenment.

@Leo Gura

Yes, sir.

I now realize how immature and irresponsible this post is.

Do you want me to delete it?

Edited by Tearos

@Tearos It's okay. I think people here understand.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Physical suicide likely gets you to unconsciously incarnate again because you couldn't surrender everything prior to death, and so the mental tendencies you can't let go off will cause you to want to play out a new persona again.

Edited by AlwaysBeNice

What I've learned and felt is that suicidal thoughts of your physical being is really unconscious; depending on the situation they are full of anger, desperately wanting to be free (not accepting, just wanting to leave) and emptiness (in a negative way). But suicidal thoughts of your ego are highly conscious; full of calmness, surrendering feelings, emptiness (in a positive and nice way) and freedom (accepting and letting go). 

Real Ego Death is being afraid of dying when this happens. Ego will let go on the last existencial thought explained.

Namaste, Mfks!