How to be wise

The work of Byron Katie: Turning this world into heaven

158 posts in this topic

Anybody going to Byron Katie's workshop this Saturday in Paris?

It’s been a year, and the results have been profound. My ego has disidentified from my body, even though I’ve done no traditional self-inquiry. It just happened out of the blue whilst doing The Work. I suffer a lot less these days, but I’m not finished yet. I’ll see how it goes in another year.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

On 4/18/2018 at 5:54 AM, Erlend K said:

Advertising your method as a miracle cure for any ailment that will "turn your life into a paradise" is rediculous bs. Any rational person can see that. Has there been any studies on the effectiveness of this method, or is it arguments for it purely anecdotal? The way you advertise it makes me wonder if you are its originator or otherwise have something personaly to gain.

Our time is limited and valuable. There are several powerful methods that have been advocated by sages for millenia and have scientifically documented effects (through rigorous double blind placebo studies). These include mindfulness, loving kindness, prayer and yoga. What reason do we have to chose your particular method? 

Agreed!

3 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

My ego has disidentified from my body

Is that a good thing? O.o 

4 hours ago, Gabriel Antonio said:

Is that a good thing? O.o 

Of course. The ego didn’t exist in the first place. Now you can live in a state of immortality, since I no longer give the same significance to the body and all its ailments.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

52 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Of course. The ego didn’t exist in the first place. Now you can live in a state of immortality, since I no longer give the same significance to the body and all its ailments.

So you have no willpower now? :) 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

9 hours ago, How to be wise said:

Good luck with that...

10 hours ago, Hellspeed said:

So you have no willpower now? :) 

Actually, in a certain sense you do, because you still exist. You don’t exist as the body, but you exist as pure awareness.

On 3/8/2018 at 2:05 PM, How to be wise said:

The work of Byron Katie is a self inquiry process like no other. It is designed to turn your life of suffering to a life in paradise. Literally.

Byron Katie, is that you, plugging your own work? Lol, just kidding.

I love exploring self-actualization work from different perspectives. She seems to be a great role model for embodying love and compassion.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be starting off with her audiobook soon.

We are enslaved by anything we do not consciously see. We are freed by conscious perception.

- Vernon Howard

On 08/03/2018 at 3:29 PM, Neo said:

Just to play Devils advocate with you... you give this book to a man in prison. He will no longer see the bars as a problem because it was just a point of view or perspective. Now you have a happy man in prison. Isn't it best to first help people (or yourself) over come your basic problems as a human being and then worry about your peaceful mind?

Or he will understand everything is a prison. Smd

1 hour ago, Aeris said:

Or he will understand everything is a prison. Smd

That’s not true.

@How to be wise

How much thought(self-referential) do you have every day? Do you find yourself often bickering with yourself to pass a day or does everyday pass without much self-conflict?

How many psychological fears have you conquered before and after 1 year of the work?

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

all ideas about ideas are delusion, only what I experience is real.

12 hours ago, Preetom said:

@How to be wise

How much thought(self-referential) do you have every day? Do you find yourself often bickering with yourself to pass a day or does everyday pass without much self-conflict?

How many psychological fears have you conquered before and after 1 year of the work?

Yes, one thing I noticed is that my life flows very smoothly these days. There’s never any bickering or resistance about what to do and how to do it. It’s peaceful and blissful.

The amount of negative beliefs I’ve conquered is too many to count. Simply put it, my life has changed dramatically for the better. And, when you work on one fear, you notice a completely unrelated fear gets resolved at the same time. 

Edited by How to be wise

Do you do "The Work" for just heavy negative feelings or also for minor negative feelings?

10 hours ago, sidaz10 said:

Do you do "The Work" for just heavy negative feelings or also for minor negative feelings?

Well, naturally you’d want to start off with the biggest problems in your life, but of course you can use it for every single negative feeling you have until you reach paradise. Literally.

Do you write "The work" on paper, word file or in minds?

@sidaz10 well, on paper or word file. If you leave it in your mind, it will trick you. The mind is very unstable. It will always change its story. Which is why you must stabilise it. The paper won’t change what you wrote!