How to be wise

The work of Byron Katie: Turning this world into heaven

158 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Recursoinominado said:

You aren't. Not even close.

Yes, cuz you know me so well, haha

@Recursoinominado @Ether @Faceless @Viking

meditation can help you feel peaceful and may (if you work very hard) give you an enlightenment experience. But as soon as you come out of meditation, those unquestioned thoughts are back and the mind becomes noisy, the emotions intense. With ‘The Work’, you waste no time ‘doing nothing’ or ‘labelling.’ You are directly questioning the thoughts that disturb your peace of mind. Inquire into each thought that you are attaching to, until you’ve undone all of them. What you’re left with is no-mind. Not in your meditation session, but every moment of your life. You will live with your enlightenment, every moment of your life. With yoga, this will take decades to achieve. Just look at Satgurunath or Ennio Nimis, who have been practicing Kriya yoga for their whole lives. They get all sorts of kundalini awakenings and mystical experiences. Once they come out of doing yoga, very little has changed. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

21 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

meditation can help you feel peaceful and may (if you work very hard) give you an enlightenment experience. But as soon as you come out of meditation, those unquestioned thoughts are back and the mind becomes noisy, the emotions intense. With ‘The Work’, you waste no time ‘doing nothing’ or ‘labelling.’ You are directly questioning the thoughts that disturb your peace of mind. Inquire into each thought that you are attaching to, until you’ve undone all of them. What you’re left with is no-mind. Not in your meditation session, but every moment of your life. You will live with your enlightenment, every moment of your life. With yoga, this will take decades to achieve. Just look at Satgurunath or Ennio Nimis, who have been practicing Kriya yoga for their whole lives. They get all sorts of kundalini awakenings and mystical experiences. Once they come out of doing yoga, very little has changed. 

Yes?

But inquiring into things like Byron Katie promotes can also end the illusion of psychological time. For me personally the ending of psychological time came first then inquiry helped me inquire into the nature of realty and truth. As there was a freedom from time allowed for the immeasurable, that’s which has no point of view, reference point.  No sense of being ay all. All that is left is the reflection ‘the happening’ 

This timeless/headlessness is like a mirror, or reflects only what is. There are not separate points of perspective. Here and there do not even exist. It’s unrecognizable. @How to be wise Keep going about this my friend. 

Edited by Faceless

The cool thing is this will make those meditation practices really simple and effortless as well. 

But you could be in a constant state of meditation with eyes open or not, walking, sitting, eating, running, being in a store, driving  ‘not advisable’ lol 

This is what I refer to as headlessness. This deepens in quiet tranquil environments dramaticly.

Edited by Faceless

Just consider the possibilty that there are many many many many degrees to it, and very very very very few people have ever seen the deepest degrees.

When you think you've reached the deepest, you probably haven't.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 hours ago, How to be wise said:

am I wrong that the "work" is very similar to what peter ralston does in his book "the book of now knowing". its about getting rid of beliefs.

Also, by this inquiry you can only get so far, because it uses the mind, which is limited, but it's very true that a spiritual practice alone isnt enough, dealing with beliefs is also extremely important.

what do you think about psychedelics in regards to destructing beliefs? when you become aware of a belief on psychedelics that awareness carries to the everyday life sometimes, and then it is also destroyed, while much more violently.

I thought Kriya was even more powerful because it's not just working on awakening the mind, but also the body? 

@How to be wise anyway, this sounds like a very interesting practice. can you describe how you do this work practically, in daily life? I found some questions regarding 'the work'. how do you use them? do you write your answers down? or do you just meditate/contemplate on them? thank you for sharing <3

Edited by phoenix666

whatever arises, love that

3 hours ago, Viking said:

am I wrong that the "work" is very similar to what peter ralston does in his book "the book of now knowing". its about getting rid of beliefs.

Also, by this inquiry you can only get so far, because it uses the mind, which is limited, but it's very true that a spiritual practice alone isnt enough, dealing with beliefs is also extremely important.

what do you think about psychedelics in regards to destructing beliefs? when you become aware of a belief on psychedelics that awareness carries to the everyday life sometimes, and then it is also destroyed, while much more violently.

‘The Work’ is more focused on questioning thoughts that give you emotional pain, rather than metaphysical questioning. 

3 hours ago, phoenix666 said:

I thought Kriya was even more powerful because it's not just working on awakening the mind, but also the body? 

@How to be wise anyway, this sounds like a very interesting practice. can you describe how you do this work practically, in daily life? I found some questions regarding 'the work'. how do you use them? do you write your answers down? or do you just meditate/contemplate on them? thank you for sharing <3

She wrote a book ‘Loving What Is’ which will explain everything. Check out her other books as well. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise thank you, I'll check her work out. I may include 'Loving What Is' in my next big books-ordering :)

seems like she's awaken from some quotes I read on the PDF..

whatever arises, love that

I would stay away from Byron Katie's method. It's ineffective and it will most probably lead to self-deception instead of any kind of truth.

23 minutes ago, LetTheNewDayBegin said:

I would stay away from Byron Katie's method. It's ineffective and it will most probably lead to self-deception instead of any kind of truth.

The question is...

Does one see that it’s not through the method that comes truth, but that truth is when the method reveals its limited capacity to capture truth. 

Something to think about ?

Methods may be useful in that they can teach people about themselves and show people something they haven’t noticed quite yet.  Like a trial and error type of deal.

Maybe for some methods are not needed and others they are. ?

And any method decided upon is dependent on the character/personality of a particular person. The current content of consciousness of that person will ultimately influence what method is picked. All depends on ones current state of consciousness at any given moment. 

Hope this helps?

2 hours ago, LetTheNewDayBegin said:

How would it lead to self-deception? It’s inquiry into your thoughts.

1 hour ago, Faceless said:

The question is...

Does one see that it’s not through the method that comes truth, but that truth is when the method reveals its limited capacity to capture truth. 

Something to think about ?

Methods may be useful in that they can teach people about themselves and show people something they haven’t noticed quite yet.  Like a trial and error type of deal.

Maybe for some methods are not needed and others they are. ?

And any method decided upon is dependent on the character/personality of a particular person. The current content of consciousness of that person will ultimately influence what method is picked. All depends on ones current state of consciousness at any given moment. 

Hope this helps?

As Katie says, the questions are useless without your answers. The four questions themselves can’t do anything for you. The thing that will transform you is the inquiry you make into the question, the insights you receive whilst contemplating those questions, and the awareness of ‘untrue thoughts cause pain.’ ‘The Work’ is a method which points you to those truths. 

@How to be wise

I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with her sharings?

I haven’t really got into her sharings to much. But from what I have seen ?? 

??

Edited by Faceless

The name of her method - "The work" is a put off for lazy peeps. 

I have enough work. For me spirituality is not work. I prefer Eckhart Tolle for destroying beliefs. Also he's mentioned that he doesn't like the word "work" - he's my type of teacher <3

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

The Work is ok. Reading it before getting heavily into meditation and spirituality just caused a lot of denial issues for me. Lots of going around in circles by dealing with thoughts (symptoms) instead of root issues (sankharas, the body). She also victim blames like a mofo. Instead of teaching you to accept that something traumatic has happened and healing must occur, you are told to also try and think up ways you did it to yourself. ? 

nothing is anything

On 4/18/2018 at 8:28 AM, Elisabeth said:

You don't need to dedicate yourself for years right from the get go.

Just try it, give it a month perhaps, twenty worksheets or whatever and see if it helps. If it does, do more.

If, at some point, you feel like you're no longer making progress with it, you pick up some other technique. It's quite possible that the process - ANY PROCESS - can only take you so far. 

Did you know you can actually get stuck with meditation? The Buddhists will tell their monks to go teach meditation instead if they stop making progress. Seriously. No one technique is perfect for everyone. When you see people saying some technique is perfect, it's because they found a technique that's perfect for THEM at THAT TIME. 

^Yes.

It's great The Work works for the OP. Putting down meditation and yoga like it's off-brand trash by comparison is rather unnecessary. ?

nothing is anything

9 hours ago, How to be wise said:

How would it lead to self-deception? It’s inquiry into your thoughts.

As Katie says, the questions are useless without your answers. The four questions themselves can’t do anything for you. The thing that will transform you is the inquiry you make into the question, the insights you receive whilst contemplating those questions, and the awareness of ‘untrue thoughts cause pain.’ ‘The Work’ is a method which points you to those truths. 

It's the opposite of inquiry. It's not inquiry if you get the questions prepared for you and it's not inquiry if the answers to questions are given before you even start.

Whatever method you choose to practice, please doubt it at least a little bit.