How to be wise

The work of Byron Katie: Turning this world into heaven

158 posts in this topic

It would be nice to know some testimonials (like yours, with more details) to dedicate myself for years to a practice.  

24 minutes ago, Recursoinominado said:

It would be nice to know some testimonials (like yours, with more details) to dedicate myself for years to a practice.  

Read the book ‘one thousand names for joy’ to know what it feels like to complete the work. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

1 hour ago, Recursoinominado said:

You don't need to dedicate yourself for years right from the get go.

Just try it, give it a month perhaps, twenty worksheets or whatever and see if it helps. If it does, do more.

If, at some point, you feel like you're no longer making progress with it, you pick up some other technique. It's quite possible that the process - ANY PROCESS - can only take you so far. 

Did you know you can actually get stuck with meditation? The Buddhists will tell their monks to go teach meditation instead if they stop making progress. Seriously. No one technique is perfect for everyone. When you see people saying some technique is perfect, it's because they found a technique that's perfect for THEM at THAT TIME. 

47 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Read the book ‘one thousand names for joy’ to know what it feels like to complete the work. 

Why can't you describe your progress? what are you hiding?

33 minutes ago, Blissout said:

Why can't you describe your progress? what are you hiding?

When I started ‘The Work’ a month ago, I was suffering from chronic anxiety. Today, it’s all gone. My body now feels a lot lighter. I realise that there is no such thing as time. The truth of non duality is slowly dawning itself upon me. My habits have been transforming. Even my family has told me that I changed. A month ago, I had chronic fatigue, and would get tired if I so much as went to the corner shop. Today, my chronic fatigue has reduced by 4-5 times. (According to Byron Katie, energy problems only come from your beliefs). That has been true for me so far. 

My progress is only starting...

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

29 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

When I started ‘The Work’ a month ago, I was suffering from chronic anxiety. Today, it’s all gone. My body now feels a lot lighter. I realise that there is no such thing as time. The truth of non duality is slowly dawning itself upon me. My habits have been transforming. Even my family has told me that I changed. A month ago, I had chronic fatigue, and would get tired if I so much as went to the corner shop. Today, my chronic fatigue has reduced by 4-5 times. (According to Byron Katie, energy problems only come from your beliefs). That has been true for me so far. 

?

??

This is what we all deserve. And when we live as such we are doing our part in regards to the whole. If you are at peace that reflects out onto others. Relationship with yourself and others important. 

Edited by Faceless

This is all fine and good, but do not confuse emotional mastery or lack of suffering or bliss with enlightenment.

They are separate things.

This is not to say you shouldn't do "The Work" if it appeals to you.

Enlightenment is about realizing what reality is.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura I get your point and I agree about enlightenment being 'only' realizing what reality is.

I'm just curious if I understood the process of becoming a sage - which I guess most of us are working on here. in my understanding becoming a sage is integrating awakening experiences into daily life, together with emotional mastery and cultivating love, wisdom and compassion. that's why things like 'the work', Matt Kahn's teachings and many more are so precious. at least for me, I do not 'only' want to awaken, but I want many facets of spirituality to become integrated in my life. is that what you define as 'sage hood' as well? 

and is becoming enlightened without integrating all that other parts what you define as becoming a zen devil? 

whatever arises, love that

@Leo Gura “Truth is what remains when you remove all the ideology.” I’m quoting you exactly. 

The work is about removing all your concepts and beliefs until you have none. When you remove the beliefs, what remains is the truth of non-duality. Not an experience of it, but permanent awareness of it. Am I wrong? 

Edited by How to be wise

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

This is all fine and good, but do not confuse emotional mastery or lack of suffering or bliss with enlightenment.

So what does Enlightenment have to do with suffering? Isn't it the end of suffering?

You can have states of mitigated suffering and well-managed emotions without being enlightened. 

Enlightenment gives you clarity about the absolute and quells suffering at its root. Suffering is ultimately being ignorant of God/reality. I can't make any comments on whether or not "The Work" can take you far into non-duality; however, one shouldn't conflate shadow work and some profound shift in self-regulation ability with enlightenment.  

If you can really go beyond mind completely, then congratulations, you've succeeded. The mistake is people underestimate the subtlety and insidiousness of mind/ego/ignorance. That's not to say somehow this technique can't achieve that--I'm not sure, but I don't think it would be so easy without other variables having a huge impact on the outcome, like one's karma or other practices. Some no-self experience sounds more plausible.

Edited by username

I just read a couple quotes from Byron Katie. She seems to tap into the illusion of psychological time which is great for quieting thought. For me personally when thought was reduced to a minimum was when interesting things started happening. 

I think Katie communicates an important sharing?. Also I think if you are going to really see any significance in doing all this stuff you really need to take down that projected achievement of enlightenment. It will only prevent. In my experience time must end prior to moving forward into another playing field. For me silence was first. To free onesself from effort, demand, or will clears the playing field for one to go beyond. 

Edited by Faceless

If I would have projected the idea of enlightenment as something to be achieve/attained, im quite certain I would have limited myself tremendously. Fortunately I had never heard of enlightenment. 

Edited by Faceless

On 4/18/2018 at 10:19 AM, Recursoinominado said:

nonduality. All there is, is you - and you are not all that is. 

22 hours ago, How to be wise said:

Hells. Yes. That is awesome to hear. ❤️

1 hour ago, Samuel Garcia said:

So what does Enlightenment have to do with suffering? Isn't it the end of suffering?

End of every ‘thing’.

6 hours ago, How to be wise said:

@Leo Gura “Truth is what remains when you remove all the ideology.” I’m quoting you exactly. 

The work is about removing all your concepts and beliefs until you have none. When you remove the beliefs, what remains is the truth of non-duality. Not an experience of it. But a permanent state of it. Am I wrong? 

When you remove the beliefs, there is no suffering, no mental duality. When you remove the projections of physics / physicality / all that is, when you remove this universe which you are projecting, and then remove yourself too.....”                            “ 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Buddhism & Hinduism A state in which the individual transcends desire and suffering and attains nirvana.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/enlightenment

2 hours ago, Ether said:

Buddhism & Hinduism A state in which the individual transcends desire and suffering and attains nirvana.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/enlightenment

Which almost never happens.

Byron Katie: “I’ve worked with people who have meditated for thirty, fourty years, and they come out of that space [meditating] and still live believing their thoughts.” 

@How to be wise If, after meditating you go straight to the mental chatter, its no surprise.

Im aware, at all times.

25 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Which almost never happens.

Byron Katie: “I’ve worked with people who have meditated for thirty, fourty years, and they come out of that space [meditating] and still live believing their thoughts.” 

This is the result of perpetual movements of psychological becoming. 

I’m my experience and as I have said a lot before, psychological time must end. Then one can proceed?

This is action free of time and does not depend on time. Depending on time is inviting procrastination. When this is realized deep deep down in your bones comes the possibility of instant freedom from time. This can happen at any moment. Time ‘thought’ will continue to put it off until you see that deep in your being. 

End it?

Edited by Faceless