AlexB

Ketogenic diet?

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone of you guys do the keto diet? How's it working out for you? 

I think I'll start doing it for mental clarity purpose and energy purpose, mixing it up with gym. 

I tried the keto diet for about a month and some weeks (not sure if that's enough time to give an accurate analysis) but I was serious about it. I got the keto strips to make sure that my piss was reading that I was in ketosis. The two weeks or so wasn't bad, I felt like I actually had more energy and saw some weight loss which was nice too. But after the first month I literally felt sick. I felt like my body was lacking some nutrition and felt extremely fatigued and depressed (the depression part was worse than I've ever experienced). So I decided to start eating my normal diet again.

Honestly, I would suggest just eating a well balanced diet with plenty of vegetables and limit grains (or cut them out entirely). But if you're going to attempt the keto diet then be prepared for some side-effects for the first couple months.

Best of luck!

Keto diet is amazing for some things, not so great for others. 

For anyone eating a typical SAD kinda diet, a temporary ketogenic diet is extremely valuable (several months to however long it takes to get rid of excess fat).  It allows your body to learn how to better use fat for fuel.  And for fat loss, the keto diet is incredible.  It's also great for skin conditions, mental acuity, etc etc.  

However, for most people I would personally recommend only doing a ketogenic diet temporarily (and dipping into ketosis regularly via exercise and fasting).  There are just too many nutritious carbohydrate rich foods out there.  Besides tasting amazing, carbs also support a good mood, are protein-sparing (i.e. muscle preserving), good for hormonal health etc.  I think what's important is to just become "fat adapted", so your body can switch between fat and sugar as fuel (without going through weeks of "keto flu").

A cyclical ketogenic diet is also something you could look into.  Look up "leangains", it's an intermittent fasting protocol that basically advocates fewer carbs on "rest days", more carbs on "training days" (perfect for body composition).

And if a keto diet is calling to you, I highly recommend going for it.  There are a ton of benefits to be had, including cellular autophagy, euphoria, effortless fat loss, energy, mental clarity, etc.  And it's perfectly natural....certainly many of our ancestors went through periods where carbohydrate rich foods were incredibly scarce.  For example wintery months, or during ice ages when we were running around hunting mammoths.....

Good luck!

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

I love keto, but I must be genetically adapted to it or something. I never fell victim to any of the common side effects that you hear about, such as keto flu, loss of libido, feeling cold, getting brain fog, decreased energy, lagging performance in the gym, or anything else. There was no real adjustment period for me, it felt fine from day 1. But like I said, I'm an outlier in this respect, so take my endorsement with a grain of salt.

I've been keto for 5 months now. Possibly I drop out once in a while when I have some sushi or eat a potato here and there, but usually my net carbs are under 25 grams a day.

I'm leaner and more muscular on keto at the same bodyweight, compared to when I was eating higher carb. My jawline is noticeably more defined. I can still put on muscle mass, and my strength performance never suffered. For context, I mainly lift weights (barbell movements plus some calisthenics) and rock climb (bouldering), which are sports that require max power efforts more than extended endurance, for what that's worth. But from what I hear from guys like Peter Attia and a bunch of others, endurance can actually improve once you're fat-adapted as well. 

My diet is basically meat, vegetables, water, coffee, and tea. Once in a while, I'll have some fruit or chocolate or raw honey, but in general it's real minimalist. I like it, it works for me. 

Edited by Kisame

Nice diet. Watch "Dr Eric Berg" youtube channel and you will understand everything

Love ketogenic diet.

Been on it for soon 5 years, with of course periods of cheating, ranging from months to weeks. 

Love it so much .

Endless nuance

Scrap the keto diet, go right to the Carnivore diet. Keto is way inferior because you are using a emergency system (ketones) rather than allowing your body to naturally produce glucose on its own via gluconeogensis from amino acids. 

but I doubt you're on a TRUE keto diet, because anything higher than 25% of protein intake will kick you out of ketosis. A true keto diet is 90% fat 10% protein; most poeple do 75% fat, 25% protein.

Carnivore diet is 50-50 or 45-65, but HIGH protein. You need no veggies or fruits, despite what people claim, but you'll probably eat some anyway.

It is a irrefutable fact that we are omnivores, but it is also an irrefutable fact that there is not one essential carbohydrate. 

To summarize, Keto it is an emergenty system in which you have to constantly worry whether or not you're in it, when its way more efficient to consume enough fats and protein and allowing your body to naturally produce glucose on its one rather than forcing it to use ketones which are switched for survival mode.

Edited by Angelo John Gage

I would suggest getting in contact with @Siim Land He has books and many videos on this stuff :)

B R E A T H E

On 06/03/2018 at 7:04 PM, AlexB said:

Does anyone of you guys do the keto diet? How's it working out for you? 

I think I'll start doing it for mental clarity purpose and energy purpose, mixing it up with gym. 

My cousin and friends do keto. 

High fats, protein, and little to no carbs 50-80g. 

You can also amplify the results by adding in fasting. 

You can find routines online and watch vblog.s.

It‘s the second time I‘m on keto. The first time I stopped was because I went to a meditation retreat and had to eat carbs. With time I saw how much it impacts my blood sugar levels and my mood with that, started to gain weight and ate dirty again, because there‘s too many options in a regular diet. So I went back to keto and the current effects are: stable mood, less anger, calm, waking up almost euphoric with strong libido, feelings of love after a meal, eating very clean without much will power. I‘m curious to see what the blood work will show on a long term basis, but for now I can only see positive effects.

Make sure to get the right ratio, when I have too much protein and too little fat I get a headache.

On 20/3/2018 at 6:40 PM, Angelo John Gage said:

Scrap the keto diet, go right to the Carnivore diet. Keto is way inferior because you are using a emergency system (ketones) rather than allowing your body to naturally produce glucose on its own via gluconeogensis from amino acids. 

but I doubt you're on a TRUE keto diet, because anything higher than 25% of protein intake will kick you out of ketosis. A true keto diet is 90% fat 10% protein; most poeple do 75% fat, 25% protein.

Carnivore diet is 50-50 or 45-65, but HIGH protein. You need no veggies or fruits, despite what people claim, but you'll probably eat some anyway.

It is a irrefutable fact that we are omnivores, but it is also an irrefutable fact that there is not one essential carbohydrate. 

To summarize, Keto it is an emergenty system in which you have to constantly worry whether or not you're in it, when its way more efficient to consume enough fats and protein and allowing your body to naturally produce glucose on its one rather than forcing it to use ketones which are switched for survival mode.

I want to try carnivore diet so bad :o But so expensive! I want to get another better paid job so I can afford trying that diet ! :o

3 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

I want to try carnivore diet so bad :o But so expensive! I want to get another better paid job so I can afford trying that diet ! :o

It doesn't have to be that expensive. I know people here in Sweden who spend about 200 dollars per month on food on a carnivore diet.

Hallå

I love keto, but I don't do it continuously. When I have a month of intense workout, I combine it with the keto diet and it works great. I must admit the beginning didn't go so smoothly. But this was mostly beaucse I didn't get all the information I needed, so some research beforehand is very helpful. So that's what I did then, I looked around and found a keto meal plan which I followed and this made it so much easier. I could plan my meals for several days and didn't have to think about what groceries to buy each day. Counting calories and tracking your macros is also essential in order to know your optimal nutrient balance. Try YAZIO! It's the app I use for tracking and meal plans. I tried other apps as well, but this one got me hooked. It's my daily companion now: https://www.yazio.com/en/calorie-counter
My next goal is trying out a vegetarian keto version. Let's see how this goes!:)

Its one thing to go full on with a ketogenic diet and another to strategically tap into ketosis here and there for the benefits (energy, mental clarity, cellular health, longevity) like doing some longer intermittent fasting on some days and saving the carbs for later in the day, especially post-workout. Wouldn't recommend going on a full ketogenic diet unless you had a special reason or condition. Especially when pairing with intense exercise, your body really could use those carbs at the proper time. 

Good Resource: https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcast/low-carb-ketogenic-diet-podcasts/cyclic-ketogenic-diet/

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

People focus too much on “diets” and not enough on the quality of the foods they eat.

If you’re eating lots of commercial dairy, commercial grain fed beef and processed meats like bacon and sausage then you’re not going to be healthy. Keto or not.

I subscribe to a keto diet and I’m 220lbs at 10% BF. I look great and perform like a beast in the gym.

That being said I eat all organic meats and vegetables. That’s literally it.

Most people (most my clients are least) lack a sufficient level of body awareness to be able to tell how a food affects them. 

Many don’t realize what they eat on Sunday can effect how they look and feel on Wednesday. 

Learn to listen to your body. The ketogenic diet treats me wonderfully but we’re all metabolically unique and need to do our own investigations into what fuels us best. 

The game of survival cannot be won.