Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PT89

Meditation vs yoga

2 posts in this topic

I feel like the benefits of meditation were undervalued unintentionally in Leo's last video.  I also coincidentally started yoga a month ago and have found the benefits it has on both body and mind to be very beneficial and the fact that it trains both is excellent.  However, the benefits I've had with meditation over the past year and half have also been extraodinary, and I'm not sure the changes in the way I react to things could only have been achieved with yoga alone.

Although not necessary, the research/science behind meditation is growing rapidly and pretty much everything is very positive.  Less so for yoga, however this is likely attributed to improper yoga techniques, poor teachers, and a lack of understanding as Leo's pointed out.

I think meditation provides a very good foundation for branching out into other fields of spirituality.  Having to the awareness to notice changes in new disciplines like yoga can be very helpful for sticking to these disciplines.  Without increased awareness, you're less likely to notice the benefits of these practices in your everyday life.

Therefore, if you're new to this channel and just recently watched the video on yoga, don't dismiss meditation as a profound opportunity for self-development.  I don't actually agree that the benefits to yoga come faster per say, but to each his own.  I do agree that the benefits of yoga pertaining to both mind and body is very valuable, and definitely worth trying for yourself.

I haven't heard the entire new video, but I will say that I believe that by saying "meditation vs yoga" misses the point of these exercises.

A hammer is good at nailing nails, a wrench is good at tightening bolts. Both are great tools. Meditation is one way, yoga is another way to the end goal. Yoga will alter your consciousness if done correctly, in a way, meditation will do this as well.

Edited by poimandres