Vipassana

Are you addicted to this forum?

36 posts in this topic

been noticing how I mechanically type in this website everytime i surf the interweb. Try to notice how many times you unconsciously turn on self help material. 

Truthfully? Yes. I've noticed over the past week and I plan to take more time away.

@Vipassana Browsing through this forum ain't a problem unless you make it so. Sure, if you spend 8 hours a day on it, then yea, it's a problem.

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

No :ph34r:

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

6 minutes ago, Shin said:

No :ph34r:

Shin

- - -

3,525 posts

Cant lie i posted like 300 ones in like a week or two lol

Everything should have a cause, a motive. If you don't have one you are just wasting time in the trance of unconsciousness and prolong the finding of a purpose in this world.

Edited by student

I found that visiting this website (as much as I used to) wasn't doing me any favours, so I took a break from it.

Well there are some people on here that I sometimes wonder if they ever sleep... I'm a little addicted... I think I do get some dopamine release when I check the forum and someone has responded on a thread that I have responded on... however it has gotten better after my notifications thing stopped working.... is that just me or did they turn that off? 

However, it is a great motivational tool, seeing everyone's stories and struggles, and holding oneself accountable for all of the things we post on here. 

Edited by starsofclay

agree, this forum is addictive, but thats not the problem of forum of course :D  its my and our problem

I think forum's quality has gone down a lil bit. We should share more of an advanced info/insights/knowledge on actualization/spirituality. That's where forum should be headed imho. It should grow-up instead of pondering same general things.

still great forum though

@Monkey-man I think there should be more sub-forums... one for general talk where we can goof off, and keep the SA and enlightenment ones more serious. I also would love one only for dreaming

This addiction is kind of good 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

55 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

This addiction is kind of good 

A typical thing a addict will say ;)

(Btw I'm addicted)

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

take time to turn off your computer and put it in a closet for several days every once in a while. really helps! 

put your phone on airplane mode, or outright turn it off. remove your favorite apps that aren't actually useful or can be replaced with means outside the phone.

I have lots of issues with addictive patterns but fixing them is a low priority. still, there are times I do prioritize work there, and over the years my addiction is much more curbed. 

still have random hours of some days I dump into online communities. 9_9 At least I'm not constantly coming back throughout every day, and often have days I just skip out entirely. 

We should create the aa

Actualized anonymous ...

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Yup. It is. And it’s time to take a break from it.

While the forum can be of value at times, I wonder how many of these topic questions / seeking advice can simply be answered by turning inwards on the part of the asker. And I question how effective virtual advice-giving is in the first place. I had a friend admit to me that he almost never takes my advice over the phone, yet in person, it’s a completely different story. I’ve witnessed huge changes because of in-person advice.

Taking a break begins now.

5 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

Yes I'm addicted.

How can I get sober from this addiction?

awareness, self honesty, separation, and starting new hobbies (does this sound like a good strategy?) 

most likely its self improvement which drives us here and if this is the case then the only actual self improvement we can create is through personal experience 

of course there are other reasons for being here such as contemplation and learning about the self, but it can be hard to notice when it’s actually holding us back from self actualizing 

Edited by DrewNows

I find it helpful to understand why your actually here, are you here to learn about dualistic learning, or actually find the absolute, this can only be done through practice. 

But dualistic learning is also important and very practical to your life, 

you still have to live dualistically until you become enlightened. 

5 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

Not really..

Well think about it and see the edits 

always up to the individual 

Edited by DrewNows