Philip

What Are Your Top 10 Values ?

54 posts in this topic

What values are the most meaningful to you ? If you could choose ten values that you would embody perfectly, which ones would create the most fulfillment in your life ?

Here are mine :

-  Consciousness

- Contribution

- Peace Of Mind

- Connection

- Ambition

- Creativity

- Personal Growth

- Excellence

- Honesty

- Independance

Honesty (particularly with oneself) and integrity. I think everything else comes naturally after that. 

Great tread :)

Mine would be, for which ones I most am working on now/need work on more:

-Mindfulness

-Motivation

-Expression

-Acceptance

-Vulnerability

-Assertiveness

-Transparency

-Calmness

-Self-love

-Mental clarity

1. Personal Growth

2. Success

3. Health & Fitness

4. Peace of Mind

5. Communication/Social Dynamics

6. Independance

7. Uniqueness

8. Love/Intimacy

9. Contribution/Impact

10. Integrity

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

1. Sex
  2. Money
  3. Success
  4. Fame
  5. Booze
  6. Games
  7. Manipulation
  8. Looks
  9. Gadgets
  10. Sports

@Ben Landrail Not sure if you're aware, but you just listed a whole bunch of lower-consciousness values. Nothing wrong with them but just saying

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

• Laughter and Happiness
  • Peace of mind
  • 'Groundedness' in values 
  • Beauty
  • Compassion
  • Kindness and Selflessness
  • Contribution
  • Mental Strength
  • Creativity
  • Openmindedness and Acceptance
  • Intelligence

Great question. I used to have a list a year ago but haven't read it in ages. I'll just try spontaneously and see what I come up with.

1. consciousness
  2. understanding
  3. open-mindedness
  4. honesty/authenticity
  5. discipline
  6. courage
  7. health

Well, you're gonna have to accept 7. I figured I'd also thinking about how I'm living up to them.

Consciousness - well, I meditate 2-4 hours a day, try to stay aware of being aware during daily activities as well, with fluctuating success. I guess an indicator of growth is seeing just how unconscious I am.

Understanding - I may intellectually understand or at least try to understand others, and different things in the world, but mostly I discard this value just so save time.

Open-mindedness - I'm quite dogmatic. I think I'm less dogmatic than 99% of people. Tells you how dogmatic people are, or how much of a self-absorbed idiot I am;) I'm open to new ides if  they make some sense to me, but often when people give me advice etc, I easily discard it as I see them trapped in "shoulds" and seeing what one ought to do in life as a specific thing rather than a system of functioning.

Honesty - I do catch myself trying to get away with a few blatantly obvious lies to other people each week. I probably lie to myself more but don't quite realize it. I often see how I omit things, not that It'd be a moral problem but I just am reluctant to speak about things as I think people will judge me.

Discipline - Oh lord. I suck at this one. I should be on a 2-hour walk asking "Am I aware?" (functions basically the same as Maharshi's "Who am I?" except Rupert Spira thinks it's less confusing an more direct) but here I am posting on this forum, flaunting my ego. Just two more points and I'll stop it, I promise.

Courage - suck at this too. Rationalize why I should focus on being aware, as if it contradicted being courageous. 

Health - Working on it. But shitty food tastes too damn good. Have a hard time giving it up, plus my commitments with regard to food have never been strong.

Here.

Loyalty, so rare that it's almost ridiculous.

1. Full Responsibility/Growth/Truth

2. Purpose

3. Passion

4. Courage

5. Humor

6. Knowledge/Wisdom/Consciousness

7. Creativity

8. Intimacy

9. Uniqueness

10. Focus

These will be changing soon though as I gain more wisdom and more consciousness.

Memento Mori

Honesty

Authenticity 

Integrity

Loyalty

Humor 

These are so important to me that they each take up two spaces in my top 10!

The Delphic Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone of all the Greeks know that I know nothing.

-Socrates

14 hours ago, 7thLetter said:

@Ben Landrail Not sure if you're aware, but you just listed a whole bunch of lower-consciousness values. Nothing wrong with them but just saying

The dude doesn't care about preserving a perfect self-image, credits to him! Lol 

unless that's the self-image he's boastful about portraying heh 

9 hours ago, Locooig said:

Loyalty, so rare that it's almost ridiculous.

Agreed, I realised recently and have been thinking about how disloyal I am in the sense that I give up on people too easily and lose hope for them and like to distance myself from them when probably they need my support - really just talking about an individual case there but probably has potential to show up even more given the opportunity

i dont like backstabbing people though or anything crazy, that's when it's the manipulative kind of disloyalty

- food

- safety

- warm & cozy shelter

- good sleep

- something tasty

- good servants

- all kinds of pleasure

- money

- all kinds of entertainment

- ???

On 3/4/2016 at 2:02 AM, Time Traveler said:

- food

- safety

- warm & cozy shelter

- good sleep

- something tasty

- good servants

- all kinds of pleasure

- money

- all kinds of entertainment

- ???

I thought it over and came up with a revised list:

Safety
Pleasure
Purpose
Discipline
Knowledge
Passion
Growth
Power
Entertainment
Fame

Maybe it's not the last version, haven't thought about the subject much.

1. Compassion - loving and helping widely and freely. 

2. Good humor - having an upbeat positive attitude and the ability to laugh freely without restraints.

3. Flexible considerations - the ability to freely change my mind and not resist things; going with the flow.

4. Tenacity -having a firm focus of attention to my purpose.

5. Personal integrity - make decisions based and judgements based on my personal observations, thinking for myself.

6. Communication - strive to continually refine and develop my communication skills.

7. Courage - the willingness to confront anything and everything specially falseness.

8. Responsibility - having the willingness to admit cause and my participation in my condition and environment.

9. Systematic- training myself to discover and develop the best workable methods to accomplish my tasks and goals.

10. Honesty - not deceiving myself and others.

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

I don't have ten to offer currently so I'll pass that part for now – lest I compile a wild, sporadic list of vices akin to @Ben Landrail's. ¬¬

One thing, that I have observed, is how people often posit also a few bottleneck weaknesses as their core values and miscount them as their virtues. I would call it optimistic "Fake it till you make it" thinking so to speak. For example, Jane the employer might continuously claim how important(!) it is to hire your employees well, but at the end of the day admit that she has failed at it herself. Does this behavior by chance apply to you? Especially optimists can fall into this without acknowledging it.

Excellence is the same as habit. When you constantly do something, you might become excellent at it. -Aristotle