John

LSD question.

17 posts in this topic

Do you have to be willing to go insane on a psychadelic?

In order to drop everything, surely you would have to drop your sanity? I mean this if one is shooting for the deepest experiences of non-duality.

The Delphic Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone of all the Greeks know that I know nothing.

-Socrates

I don't know about psychadelics. But honestly, what is insanity? Non-conformity, inconsistency, irrationality? What else? Is it good or is it evil? Can you embrace it, or is it too weird and scary?

All stories and explanations are false.

I would say yes, pretty much. My best trips happen when I come in with mindset to be ready to literally die even when i take smaller dosages and mostly my trips be good then and nothing bad happens. Just surrender to whatever happens
I had two bad trips when I didn't had any mindset beforehand and I basically took it unconsciously and when it hit my mind shattered and I couldn't even grasp what is happening and what I have to do and I fought through entire trip until at the end I realised that only thing I had to do is surrender (I had litteraly 0 control and got lost really fast, didn't know where I came, why I came, why I took it, what is ego, what is life, what is anything bascially and I was just tensing muscles and fighting with trip and it was on 25 mg of 4 aco dmt)

Edited by MarinM

I don't really think about sanity or insanity really. To me, you just gotta be willing to be comfortable with ALL of yourself and just let it happen. In my experience, it is difficult to plan what to do for a trip. So if you're thinking that your going to drop and then just sit and meditate/contemplate on non-duality, its most likely not going to work out like that. In my experience, non-duality just naturally comes as I let my sense of self go which happens naturally and maybe with some resistance in the beginning.

The only thing you gotta be willing to do on psychedelics is actually take it, then you just ride it from there. 

The reason I ask is that I did 150 mics of LSD recently. I booked an air bnb specifically for the trip. I went into it with pretty serious intentions for personal growth and transformation. That's why I do psychedelics. And I noticed at a few points throughout the trip, this fear came up. I remember trying to rationalize why I was there. "Oh yeah, I'm John. I'm here to explore non duality and personally develop". I kept reminding myself of stuff like that. It felt like if I didn't I would get lost. I was in an air bnb on my own. There was another apartment above me. What if I got lost and started laughing too loud that they heard? Or started playing music too loud? Or you know, something like that?

Also there were certain trains of thought I found myself going down that potentially led to a negative place and in turn a negative trip. Should we be willing to explore them fully? Or should we manipulate the trip a bit more to make sure it is positive?

The Delphic Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone of all the Greeks know that I know nothing.

-Socrates

@John I had same experience. I was in a different room from my friend and we were tripping separately and the trip was bombing me and i thought i will go mad and start screaming and crying and my ego couldnt let it can happen so i fought through. The ideal would be to actually go mad and experience bad trip fully because you grow more from bad trips. Positive trips are good of course but if you need to experience bad trip it will happen, you cant really control what will happen but you can make sure you feel safe and are in good enviroment and be prepared for anything. For example going mad alone in the safe place and going mad on concert if you usually have a bit of social anxiety can fuck you up so bad. Make sure you do everything to make trip safe and if then bad trip comes it is meant to be there and just surrender

In my opinion, no, you don't have to be willing to lose your sanity. Psychedelics would have to be one's last ditch hope in life in order for that sort of a wager to be worth the risk. You certainly need to surrender yourself to the experience, but the possibility of permanently going nuts isn't a needed ingredient in that surrender.

@SgtPepper I like this. It's such a huge part of life and enlightenment aswell. An internal attitude of non-resistance. I have tried t cultivate this consciously but lately it has just become a much deeper acceptance of life and reality as it is. Because of this, it seems, reality has revealed itself more fully to me. There's not so much wanting things to be other than as they are getting in the way.

I noticed this on the trip, a lot of my old tendencies to want things to be a certain way came up. It was really intense and emotionally uncomfortable, but like you say, that willingness to let it happen, allows these things to arise and then pass. And then if you're lucky, you get some juicy non-dual experiences ;D

-Socrates

@PsiloPutty But I'm not saying LSD can actually make you go insane. I'm just saying that I as a person, need to let go of my idea of sanity, in order to fully let go of control. I notcied at one point during my trip I was getting worried about forgetting where I was, so I would remind myself and try and hold things back together again. But I'm curious now, what would happen if I didn't try to pull things back together again, and just completely submitted to whatever happens.

-Socrates

2 hours ago, John said:

But I'm curious now, what would happen if I didn't try to pull things back together again, and just completely submitted to whatever happens.

Do it!B|

@Elephant I have done magic truffles once, and twice I have tripped on 150 mics of LSD. Next time, I am thinking about doing 225 mics which might help push me into that surrender.

-Socrates

2 hours ago, John said:

@Elephant I have done magic truffles once, and twice I have tripped on 150 mics of LSD. Next time, I am thinking about doing 225 mics which might help push me into that surrender.

Okay, good luck!:)

@Shakazulu I find Self inquiry difficult on psychadelics. There are still parts of my psyche that sort of abuse the inquiry for their own ends. They have ideas about enlightenment they are trying to achieve. So really with psychedelics I'm trying to leave even the notion of enlightenment behind and just surrender.

That's why I'm curious about the sanity part. it's tricky. because on the one hand, when the thought comes up, "I think I'm about to go insane" I can let it happen. But I also have to be conscious somehow of where I am and make sure I don't go and do something I'll regret.

Edited by John

-Socrates

@Leo Gura What would your advice be here?

-Socrates

by saying that you're "willing to go insane" you had to first have the thought "i might go insane". answering that objection of the mind is already a mistake. whatever happens, happens. if you're willing to take any psychedelic surrender to whatever happens. you surrender by being aware of what holds you back from surrendering and not thinking "surrender surrender surrender".

I think you have to be developed enough to take psychedelics. by that i mean a daily meditation practice. a daily meditation practice entails not believing your thoughts and detaching from them. if you ask questions like that you're probably not ready. but if you do decide to take psychedelics and you manage to go through you might develop yourself a lot. it's a skill to surrender.

Edited by Viking