Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Justin Evans

Me versus a helicopter

1 post in this topic

On a beautiful crisp sunny day, I finished all of my college school work, completed two quizzes, a test, and finished my homework early. I feel victorious, I feel productive, and I feel clear with an abundance of energy and mindfulness.  I'm ready to surrender the rest of the day to meditation. It's 3:30 P.M. when I arrive at my apartment complex, it's time to pop a squat on a warm sunny pool chair, and I begin some mindfulness labeling.

10 minutes in, two helicopters fly over the pool and begin hovering relatively close. That’s odd; what could be possibly going on? There couldn't be a fire because there isn't a cloud in the sky. I don't hear sirens so there isn't a war going on. Could there be protests at my college about a mile and a half away from my apartment? Anyways, my mind starts rambling and contemplating the purpose of the helicopters. Eventually one of them flies away and the other remains.

30 minutes later as I am still meditating, I have a deep and profound realization. My mindfulness has vastly improved over the past year, yet my concentration and discipline is SHODDY WORK. As I look into the air, a helicopter, a FUCKING helicopter flying in the air can stay perfectly still. Here I am, ME who is sitting at a pool with nothing to do, nowhere to be, on a sunny day, ON THE GROUND, and I can't sit perfectly still for 30 minutes without a quick break to scratch my scrotum or to worry, "Is my blood vessels clotting because I'm sitting for two long? Should I get up? What if my toes don't get enough oxygen?"

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, I am not going to stand for such shenanigans anymore! It's me versus the helicopter! Either it goes, or I move, one or the other. I am not going to let a flying metal machine beat me, the person who couldn't be more comfortable and 'grounded' than the fuzzy pair of wooly socks on my feet.

The battle of stillness began. That vow I made, as silly as it seems, triggered something in me. It supercharged my discipline and intention. The distractions no longer became an issue, and I was laser focused. I learned a lot about helicopters. Surprisingly, they are great to meditate to, and I would of never thought that a pair of metal blades slashing into the sky could sound relaxing or even mystical with the right perspective.

After 1 hour and 15 minutes, I finally won, the helicopter left.

What's the moral of the story?

1. Sometimes you need a wake up call. Your environment and intuition is constantly offering you OPPORTUNITIES to take your work and discipline to the next level.

2. The environment at times can appear be irritating and counterproductive to meditation UNTIL you can observe it long enough to realize it's been your ally this whole time. Your greatest enemy can sometimes be used to your advantage.

3. Don't let the helicopters meditate better than you. Your helicopter may be your neighbor, your co-worker, or the squirrel your back yard. Ultimately what matters is what triggers that fiery passion within you. Find your helicopter, and then BEAT IT.

Thanks for reading, and if I may ask, what is your helicopter?