kieranperez

Need Some Advice On Moving Out

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys so I've decided it's time I prepare to move out but to be honest I don't really know the important steps towards moving out for the first time. Let me give some description on myself and situation...

• 22 Years Old
  • Didn't go to college
  • Currently not working
  • No money saved up
  • Terrible credit (Never owned a credit card but turns out my parents haven't paid hospital bills from my last surgery when I was kid and now I have debt collectors constantly calling me... and whenever I tell my Dad he just tells me to ignore them... even though he mix 6 figures...)
  • Living in one of the most expensive parts of San Francisco 
  • Have my Life Purpose
  • Don't know where (I want) to go
  • My Dad won't pay for my health insurance, car insurance, phone bills, or anything unless I move out whenever he thinks I'm ready 

I don't really know where to start from here because obviously these are some really tough obstacles. Plus I've been complacent and have been completely stuck in living in comfort. I don't know what questions I need to be asking myself and what not. I don't know what is a realistic time frame I need give myself to move out, how much I need to have saved up, if my horrendous credit score will deny me a lot of places to live, etc. 

Really need some help with this, thanks!

@kieranperez I would start with the little things. 

Get a job. 

Make your bed in the mornings if you don’t already. 

Start to pay for your own food, gas, insurance, bills, etc... 

You need to take extreme ownership of your life. It’s your life and nobody else’s. Once you realize that it will help you because you’ll see that you are where you are at in your life because you let yourself be there. Listen to the Jocko Willinck podcast. He’s a retired navy seal and his brute perspective can be really helpful for getting unstuck. 

Hey man!

Great job! on your short term goal, even though it might not seem like much but, moving out on your own takes a lot of courage . I moved out of my parent's house when i was about your age. Here are some tips and can share:

1. Get ready mentally it can be lonely and hard at first because you will have to do everything on your own . ( could be a good opportunity to do more self development work)
  2. I would consider moving with a roommate since you re credit isn't that great. found great roommate living situation on craigslist 
  3. I would try to move close to public transportation if you don't have a car.
  4. Get a job to support yourself and not rely on your parents so much.
  5. try to get in touch with your passions, what you enjoy doing and see if you can develop a career with it. 

Good luck on  your journey and welcome to life brother !  

You got this .

Where will you get funds for living expenses if you move out?

You will end up costing your parents a lot more money if you don’t find a job before moving out.