Ibn Sina

What kind of problems are you going through?

82 posts in this topic

Girlfriend is overseas for the next few months so I might begin dating different people, in the middle of deciding whether i should move out of my parents house (24 y/o with a decent job and savings but nothing too impressive since everything is expensive in NYC), fear i'm slipping back into depression, In need of getting new friends. 

Overall pretty good though.

@Charlotte

@egoeimai

Interesting, just today I was trying to pay special attention to this feeling of automatically repressing thoughts when you observe them.

What I've noticed, it is possible to be very aware even in the midst of mental storm. But it might not feel like you're truly aware, though, because thoughts still get most of the awareness space and attention. We have an idea that when you are truly aware, thoughts are supposed to subside.

What if thoughts and emotions do not have to subside when you become aware? So, for example, you become aware of your crazy thought-emotions train, and it does not subside. It becomes even stronger. But this still counts as being mindful, same as if you had an empty mind.

We expect mindfulness to remove our suffering (because otherwise, why would we start practicing it?), so we like to say that we are successfully mindful only when we feel some relief from our minds (in particular, when thoughts and emotions subside due to our effort to be mindful). This idea might be the source of frustration from accidentally repressing thoughts when we want just to observe. Because when we become mindful (observe, become aware), and thoughts-emotions do not subside, we do not feel relief, so we think that we failed to become mindful, while actually we succeeded.

In meditations recently I like to pay attention to the difference between non-aware and aware states. It seems, that on deep level there is no particular difference. Non-aware state consists of present experience and aware state consists of present experience too.

2 hours ago, egoeimai said:

@Charlotte just by reminding myself all concepts and ideas of thw mind are bullshit jahahaha ❤

Fair enough ??

@Charlotte Perhaps your inner turmoil isn't 100% thought / ego based. Have you ever considered that it may be physically based too? For example, individuals with low-functioning adrenal glands can suffer chronically from anxiety and some kinds of depression... I am helping a close friend with similar 'challenges' (;)) (e.g. anxiety, low self-esteem, fatigue, and paranoia) by steadily transitioning his diet to a cleaner one. He's already seeing good results and it hasn't even been a month yet--his energy levels are up dramatically and his anxiety/paranoia is steadily decreasing. 

Cheers. :)

31, 46, 53, 63; https://grapegate.com/testimonials/

Edited by ppfeiff

8 hours ago, Charlotte said:

Is observation still being pulled in by the thought content and then observing you've been pulled in or is it like awareness watching the thoughts whilst the thoughts are happening. 

You cannot be pulled in if you are observing. If you are pulled in you are no longer observing.

If you have been pulled in then the moment you start observing you are no longer pulled in.

@Naviy yes we actually succeed. Very nice.✌ thanks . I haven't thought about it like that. We actually feel we need to get rid of them in the midst of the storm so we have this feeling of failure If they dont subside.Exactly. Thats because we are having the desire to getridofthem, and not truly observe them just for ths sake of observation. Because we have been told that mindfulness IS a way for it.

6 minutes ago, dorg said:

You cannot be pulled in if you are observing. If you are pulled in you are no longer observing.

If you have been pulled in then the moment you start observing you are no longer pulled in.

The key is to 'take your hands off of it' , observing like you are not your thoughts, observing like you are the awareness who sees all the drama playing out.

2 minutes ago, egoeimai said:

The key is to 'take your hands off of it' , observing like you are not your thoughts, observing like you are the awareness who sees all the drama playing out.

Yes. IOW you are simply watching thought and not pulled into it, not going into it. If you find yourself located somewhere you have gone into it.

49 minutes ago, egoeimai said:

Yaaaaas bro , thats right ?

:)

18 hours ago, Naviy said:

@Charlotte

@egoeimai

Interesting, just today I was trying to pay special attention to this feeling of automatically repressing thoughts when you observe them.

What I've noticed, it is possible to be very aware even in the midst of mental storm. But it might not feel like you're truly aware, though, because thoughts still get most of the awareness space and attention. We have an idea that when you are truly aware, thoughts are supposed to subside.

What if thoughts and emotions do not have to subside when you become aware? So, for example, you become aware of your crazy thought-emotions train, and it does not subside. It becomes even stronger. But this still counts as being mindful, same as if you had an empty mind.

We expect mindfulness to remove our suffering (because otherwise, why would we start practicing it?), so we like to say that we are successfully mindful only when we feel some relief from our minds (in particular, when thoughts and emotions subside due to our effort to be mindful). This idea might be the source of frustration from accidentally repressing thoughts when we want just to observe. Because when we become mindful (observe, become aware), and thoughts-emotions do not subside, we do not feel relief, so we think that we failed to become mindful, while actually we succeeded.

In meditations recently I like to pay attention to the difference between non-aware and aware states. It seems, that on deep level there is no particular difference. Non-aware state consists of present experience and aware state consists of present experience too.

Interesting, thank you for your detailed response. What I seem to have gathered from this is I need to work more on the practice of mindfulness because clearly I'm going wrong somewhere. 

Thank you ♥️

14 hours ago, dorg said:

Thank you for this. I need to work more on observation. Can you recommend a particular type of meditation? ♥️

16 hours ago, ppfeiff said:

@Charlotte Perhaps your inner turmoil isn't 100% thought / ego based. Have you ever considered that it may be physically based too? For example, individuals with low-functioning adrenal glands can suffer chronically from anxiety and some kinds of depression... I am helping a close friend with similar 'challenges' (;)) (e.g. anxiety, low self-esteem, fatigue, and paranoia) by steadily transitioning his diet to a cleaner one. He's already seeing good results and it hasn't even been a month yet--his energy levels are up dramatically and his anxiety/paranoia is steadily decreasing. 

Cheers. :)

31, 46, 53, 63; https://grapegate.com/testimonials/

Well done for helping your friend! That's lovely to read. I wish him all the best ♥️

Erm... Physically? ? I eat well (I hope)... I've radically transformed my eating habits over past 6 month's. I decided to become a pescatarian in the beginning of January (over night) and I've stuck to it, I eat plenty of organic vegetables, I eat the smallest amounts of sugars I possibly can (if I do I have organic honey), I eat fish (brain food), organic nut milks, no dairy, every morning for breakfast I have organic oats with seeds and a few berries, one cup of coffee a morning (used be two), I switched to flouride free natural toothpaste, I spent a little fortune on the best cook wear to cook with (regular pots and pans can be toxic), I don't smoke tobacco (although I vape), I don't drink or do drugs, I take good organic supplements and I drink plenty of organic herbal tea daily. I also use organic household cleaners around the house and in my skin/hair care routine.

There's my life story for you ? 

Could you recommend I do anything else maybe? ♥️

@Charlotte

2 hours ago, Charlotte said:

Erm... Physically? ? I eat well (I hope)... I've radically transformed my eating habits over past 6 month's. I decided to become a pescatarian in the beginning of January (over night) and I've stuck to it, I eat plenty of organic vegetables, I eat the smallest amounts of sugars I possibly can (if I do I have organic honey), I eat fish (brain food), organic nut milks, no dairy, every morning for breakfast I have organic oats with seeds and a few berries, one cup of coffee a morning (used be two), I switched to flouride free natural toothpaste, I spent a little fortune on the best cook wear to cook with (regular pots and pans can be toxic), I don't smoke tobacco (although I vape), I don't drink or do drugs, I take good organic supplements and I drink plenty of organic herbal tea daily. I also use organic household cleaners around the house and in my skin/hair care routine.

There's my life story for you ? 

Could you recommend I do anything else maybe? ♥️

From my perspective, relative to SAD, A+ with regards to cleaning your diet in terms of no dairy, organic vegetables, nut milks, herbal tea (although which kinds?), and minimizing toxic exposure from cleaning products. Great job! :)

I am puzzled by a few points, however:

Most people who habitually drink coffee begin because they feel they’re baseline energy levels are too low already. This a top indicator that the adrenal glands are hypo-functioning... In other words, what are you compensating from?

You describe fish as brain food. Why do you think this? While fish is known to be potent in anti-inflammatory Omega-3’s, what is the cost? Heavy-metal (e.g. Mercury, a neurotoxin) toxicity? This is a recipe for nervous breakdown, and an increase with the associated symptoms (e.g. depression and paranoia).

A possible treatment which may benefit you is organic licorice tea, which is well known for strengthening hypo-functioning adrenal glands. Loose-leaf options are available online and it can be safely made for consumption each morning.

That is only a treatment however.

How do we address the root cause? I’d be happy to share that if you’re still interested :) Cheers.

6 hours ago, ppfeiff said:

@Charlotte

From my perspective, relative to SAD, A+ with regards to cleaning your diet in terms of no dairy, organic vegetables, nut milks, herbal tea (although which kinds?), and minimizing toxic exposure from cleaning products. Great job! :)

I am puzzled by a few points, however:

Most people who habitually drink coffee begin because they feel they’re baseline energy levels are too low already. This a top indicator that the adrenal glands are hypo-functioning... In other words, what are you compensating from?

You describe fish as brain food. Why do you think this? While fish is known to be potent in anti-inflammatory Omega-3’s, what is the cost? Heavy-metal (e.g. Mercury, a neurotoxin) toxicity? This is a recipe for nervous breakdown, and an increase with the associated symptoms (e.g. depression and paranoia).

A possible treatment which may benefit you is organic licorice tea, which is well known for strengthening hypo-functioning adrenal glands. Loose-leaf options are available online and it can be safely made for consumption each morning.

That is only a treatment however.

How do we address the root cause? I’d be happy to share that if you’re still interested :) Cheers.

Thank you. All sorts of different herbals, mints, ginger, cinnamon, green just to name a few. 

I began drinking coffee because I watched my mum have 1 from an early age, I joined in and it's now a habit. 

I suppose my comment "fish is brain food" is just a belief on blind faith ? although I can't give up my Sushi ?

I did read that too much liquorice is bad for you in many ways. 

Yes I'm definitely still interested, thank you very much ♥️

12 hours ago, Charlotte said:

Thank you for this. I need to work more on observation. Can you recommend a particular type of meditation? ♥️

I see meditation and self inquiry as observation so it can be done at any time. Through observation you notice how, though your own personal thought, you have been creating a fictitious world for you to live in. You do this by going into or indulging in or dwelling in thought.

For instance you say "I need to work more on observation". Observation is not work and is not something you do. It 'just happens' when you do not place yourself in any situation via thought.

Also, up there^ you said:

I'm suffering with OCD with thoughts, paranoia, anxiety, depression, complete and utter inner turmoil. At this moment in my life I'm working very hard on getting some kind of control over these issues because they are ruining me, my life and my mental health. This "illusion" has gotten to a place where it seems like it is no longer an illusion and with the hard work I'm doing comes a lot of hard emotional labor and what feels like suffering to an extent I've never imagined

This is a good example of what I am saying. You IMAGINE (think/believe) you are someone living somewhere and then on top of that you further imagine that you have OCD. All imagined. And then you are trying to control what you have imagined (thought/believed). Can you see the nonsense of this?

In actual fact you are simply over thinking your situation. Can you just sit in a quiet spot and observe this?

No one anywhere is in any situation. It is all imagined.

Hope this helps a little.

Edited by dorg

Really struggling with self importance, that's really come into my awareness recently as the source for so much bullshit. Any tips on reducing this delusion?

@Charlotte

(Should begin at 09:04 if I share-linked it correctly--he immediately addresses anxiety and panic attacks until around 14:00)

(Same video as above, however it should begin at 00:31--he immediately addresses how to effectively move stagnant lymph and repair the problem at the root--damaged adrenal glands = anxiety)

The man's work speaks for himself--Dr. Morse has a clinic in Port Charlotte, FL (US) addressing a diversity of chronic to acute cases, including cancer, tumors, paralysis, M.S., anxiety, and depression just to name a few, with a cure rate of 80%. Yes. I used the "C" word. He's been healing others for over 40 years now. In my experience with helping others, and the unbelievable number of anecdotes of people healing themselves of specifically their anxiety/depression with an emphasis on raw fruits and some vegetables and herbal supplements, I can't help but think that your issues may also have a physical component, and perhaps a larger one than what one would think. No. I have no affiliation with him or any of the herbal tinctures he sells--I just want to help others where I can :)

Because of this man, I cured IBS, fatigue, and back-acne. It's the only thing that's worked for me and many others--and I've been experimenting with other "healing" methods for years.

If this all resonates with you, all the information necessary to reverse the physical component of your issue(s) can found be found within this book: The Detox Miracle Sourcebook: Raw Foods and Herbs for Complete Cellular Regeneration by Robert S. Morse N.D.. I also recommend The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity: A Modern Practical Guide to the Ancient Way by Daniel Reid for a balanced perspective.

I wish you luck on your journey. ;) Cheers.

P.S. Coffee over-stimulates the adrenals, and it's more than likely not helping any emotional issues.

Edited by ppfeiff

16 hours ago, Charlotte said:

Interesting, thank you for your detailed response. What I seem to have gathered from this is I need to work more on the practice of mindfulness because clearly I'm going wrong somewhere. 

Thank you ♥️

Have you tried guided meditations? Like Headspace, for example.

Because when you do a guided meditation, you just follow instructions, and less space is left for worry about you doing something wrong.

12 hours ago, dorg said:

For instance you say "I need to work more on observation". Observation is not work and is not something you do. It 'just happens' when you do not place yourself in any situation via thought.

Understood. Okay, I'll try and rephrase, I would like to practice how to be able to NOT place myself in the situation via the thought. 

12 hours ago, dorg said:

This is a good example of what I am saying. You IMAGINE (think/believe) you are someone living somewhere and then on top of that you further imagine that you have OCD. All imagined. And then you are trying to control what you have imagined (thought/believed). Can you see the nonsense of this?

In actual fact you are simply over thinking your situation. Can you just sit in a quiet spot and observe this?

No one anywhere is in any situation. It is all imagined.

Hope this helps a little.

I totally get it! ? (I'm laughing at myself and how true it is what you've said)

I need to penetrate this truth.

Massive help @dorg Thank you ♥️

7 hours ago, ppfeiff said:

@Charlotte

(Should begin at 09:04 if I share-linked it correctly--he immediately addresses anxiety and panic attacks until around 14:00)

(Same video as above, however it should begin at 00:31--he immediately addresses how to effectively move stagnant lymph and repair the problem at the root--damaged adrenal glands = anxiety)

The man's work speaks for himself--Dr. Morse has a clinic in Port Charlotte, FL (US) addressing a diversity of chronic to acute cases, including cancer, tumors, paralysis, M.S., anxiety, and depression just to name a few, with a cure rate of 80%. Yes. I used the "C" word. He's been healing others for over 40 years now. In my experience with helping others, and the unbelievable number of anecdotes of people healing themselves of specifically their anxiety/depression with an emphasis on raw fruits and some vegetables and herbal supplements, I can't help but think that your issues may also have a physical component, and perhaps a larger one than what one would think. No. I have no affiliation with him or any of the herbal tinctures he sells--I just want to help others where I can :)

Because of this man, I cured IBS, fatigue, and back-acne. It's the only thing that's worked for me and many others--and I've been experimenting with other "healing" methods for years.

If this all resonates with you, all the information necessary to reverse the physical component of your issue(s) can found be found within this book: The Detox Miracle Sourcebook: Raw Foods and Herbs for Complete Cellular Regeneration by Robert S. Morse N.D.. I also recommend The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity: A Modern Practical Guide to the Ancient Way by Daniel Reid for a balanced perspective.

I wish you luck on your journey. ;) Cheers.

P.S. Coffee over-stimulates the adrenals, and it's more than likely not helping any emotional issues.

Thank you thank you thank you ♥️ 

Massively appreciate the time you've spent to write and share this with me.

I'll give him a serious watch, thank you. 

"I can't help but think that your issues may also have a physical component, and perhaps a larger one than what one would think" 

Could you please elaborate a little more on this? ( not skeptical just intrigued) 

7 hours ago, Naviy said:

Have you tried guided meditations? Like Headspace, for example.

Because when you do a guided meditation, you just follow instructions, and less space is left for worry about you doing something wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I've tried numerous guided meditation apps, I don't know why but I find them more of a distraction than an aid. 

Thank you though ?

The muscles on my legs hurt from squatting. How do I observe the pain in the body?