Star Net

Discussion : Being Vegan - VS - not Being Vegan

90 posts in this topic

On 2018-03-06 at 11:09 PM, LaminMP01 said:

Something I want to discuss is how would, on a large scale, sanctuaries work for the farm animals. This interests me as will for example dog sanctuaries decline in the number of dogs they accept to facilitate the farm animals or will farms themselves have to turn into sanctuaries. will they work like zoos almost in the effort to educate people about animals. Will these animals go into zoos. Are zoos ethical for animals to be contained in. 

I can't say because I haven't researched it yet.

On 2018-03-06 at 11:09 PM, LaminMP01 said:

Also if you have any the links to any scientific papers regarding the medical aspect of how a vegan diet helps the human body. I would love see that thank you. 

I have not. I'm sure it's out there to find. I haven't been vegan for that long so I haven't had the time yet.
Very time consuming. Maybe someone else can link some.

Lemme recommend you some youtube channels:
Nutritionfacts.org
Mic. the Vegan

If you're interested in the ethical arguments and want to see some activism:
Joey Carbstrong
Earthling Ed
James Aspey

There's also some great vegan speeches out there.

On 2018-03-12 at 0:59 AM, LaminMP01 said:

How are you meant to know your getting the right amount of nutrition on a vegan diet ? 

https://cronometer.com

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

@Clown Good :) What stops you from transitioning to vegan?

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

38 minutes ago, sgn said:

@Clown Good :) What stops you from transitioning to vegan?

Good question. To be completely honest it's just that I find eating eggs and cheese convenient and I don't feel guilty eating them. Of course I always buy free-range eggs. When it comes to dairy, it's just basically grilled halloum that I eat most. I've changed milk to Oat milk and I even prefer the taste. Only use it in my coffee anyways. My excuse to eating fish is that I used to go fishing as a kid and could kill the animal with my own hands. That's something I couldn't do to a pig or a cow ever. Something like taking the responsibility for the life you're consuming.

At this point it personally just feels that going full vegan isn't quite necessary, although the thought itself doesn't seem too far-fetched. I also don't like restricting myself by giving my diet a label, because situations change and sometimes you might just eat what you're offered or starve.

@Clown Ok :)

I didn't feel guilty before either.
Before I went vegan I started questioning the morality of unnecessary killing animals just for taste.
So I thought that I might go vegetarian because I didn't see the problem with drinking milk and eating eggs.
Then I realized that all animals gets killed in the end. And if people "only" buy milk and eggs they also support the killing.
Because if people didn't buy milk and eggs, animals wouldn't be breed into existence, exploited and killed.

Slaughter Age vs. Natural Life Span:

• Pigs: Slaughtered at 6 months young; Natural life span: 6 to 10 years
  • Chickens: Slaughtered at 6 weeks young; Natural life span: 5 to 8 years for those birds bred as "egg layers" such as Rhode Island Reds; 1 to 4 years for factory layer breeds such as leghorns; and 1 to 3 years for "meat" breeds.
  • Turkeys: Slaughtered at 5 to 6 months young; Natural life span: 2 to 6 years
  • Ducks/Geese: Slaughtered at 7 to 8 weeks young; Natural life span: domestic ducks: 6 to 8 years; geese from 8 to 15 years.
  • Cattle: “Beef” cattle slaughtered at 18 months young; dairy cows slaughtered at 4 to 5 years young; Natural life span: 18 to 25+ years
  • Veal Calves: Slaughtered at 16 weeks young; Natural life span: 18 to 25+ years
  • Goats: Slaughtered at 3 to 5 months young; Natural life span: 12 to 14 years
  • Rabbits: Slaughtered at 10 to 12 weeks young; Natural life span: 8 to 12+ years
  • Lambs: Slaughtered at 6 to 8 weeks young for “young lamb” and under 1 year for all other; Natural life span: 12 to 14 years
  • Horses/Donkeys: Slaughter age varies; Natural life span: 30 to 40 years

Read this about cows:
http://www.humanemyth.org/happycows.htm
Or maybe watch this:

Ok I think it's still wrong to kill fish. Some people could kill cats and dogs, even humans without a problem.
I don't think that makes it morally justified to pay someone else to do it.
The death of fish I think is even more painful generally and I've heard it's similar to drowning for a human when it's out of the water.
But the fish have to endure it for a longer time.
Also high levels of stress and depression have been found in farmed fish.

Free range eh? Well it sounds nice atleast ;)

23e53bd54130079c23897379428bb0d1.jpg

Edited by sgn

On 3/8/2018 at 1:33 AM, Star Net said:

Hi @sgn

No, They are all dry weights ...

I believe the you are incorrect here. I'm somewhat of a nutrition expert and these are the dry weight results.

Roughly

100g dry white beans = 23 grams protein

100g dry whole lentils = 24 grams protein

100g dry chickpeas = 20 grams protein

I believe those you stated of above were cooked because when you cook 100g dry = 2 - 3x weight cooked.

Hope this helps

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

Hi @pluto

I collected these informations on google, and they did not mention these are cooked weights, So I understood it as dry weights

8 hours ago, pluto said:

100g dry white beans = 23 grams protein

100g dry whole lentils = 24 grams protein

100g dry chickpeas = 20 grams protein

You can take a look here

Protein in Chickpeas https://www.google.iq/search?dcr=0&ei=g4erWoP1FsTSkgW0k5KAAw&q=Protein+in+chickpeas&oq=Protein+in+chickpeas&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i19k1l7j0i22i30i19k1l3.3202.10656.0.11568.22.20.1.0.0.0.387.2726.0j1j6j3.10.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..11.11.2726...0j0i67k1j0i10k1j0i10i67k1.0.w2tnD4OhqvA

Protein in White beans https://www.google.iq/search?dcr=0&ei=kYerWs6NLebQgAaF1rOoAg&q=Protein+in+white+beans&oq=Protein+in+white+beans&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i19k1l2j0i22i30i19k1l8.508038.512272.0.512944.20.15.0.0.0.0.384.2072.0j1j2j4.7.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..13.7.2067...0.0.ZeWyRG4CcgY

Protein in Lentils https://www.google.iq/search?dcr=0&q=Protein+in+lentils&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4ntK3v_DZAhUQzqQKHWGdAs4QBQgiKAA&biw=1120&bih=545

I wish that I am wrong and You are right, Because if You are right I will have more protein in My meals, So please Tell Me if the informations in above are wrong ...

Just my quick cents.

I would authentically love to be vegan, if I believed it was the healthy design for our body. Even if I love meat. I've cut out many other things I love for health reasons. I'd actually love to live with the perceived ego identified moral high ground of assigning how much right different life forms has to exist according to how cute they are to me. If I can emotionally empathize with how other lifeforms evolved to navigate the world like I did, through human emotion, subconscious instincts.

Not to say, that the operation of the current industry isn't a travesty.

Turns out I feel the most healthy on a ketogenic diet.

Peace yall :)

Endless nuance

52 minutes ago, Star Net said:

You were looking at sprouted beans and boiled lentils not dried :P The chickpeas is correct 19-20g per 100g dried. I used to check my nutrients often as an athlete i have memorized them overtime.

B R E A T H E

About 50 days passed, and I am a vegan ...

Aside from a little chicken, I've been doing vegetarian for a month, and I really do feel better. My poops are more solid, which is good.