Charlotte

Almond Milk

24 posts in this topic

Was pondering on cutting dairy from my diet for a while and after watching Leo's latest video I decided to make it a firm decision. 

So I went out and purchased Almond milk and almond butter. 

Point one... Supermarket bought almond milk is AWFUL (here in the UK)... There are only 2% almonds in some carton's and in some cases an ingredient in it (which I researched) Maltodextrin which can just piss right off!! ??

I then had a Google for Organic Almond Milk and to be honest I genuinely don't think I could afford to repeatedly buy this. 

Question? Does anybody make their own? Is it affordable?

Almond butter... I have tried this as a butter alternative and it REALLY doesn't go very well with other foods. Can anybody recommend anything else?

Thank you (as always) for your time ♥️

@Charlotte I assume you bought Alpro? Yes, it is not the best and it contains Phosphates that are best left alone. 

Depending on your budget, there are some other good brands here: (2 - 3£ per box/bottle)

Yes, you can absolutely make your own and it is really easy. I'd suggest look up Simnet Nutrition on youtube and his Almond Milk video. Very well explained. All you need is a milk bag and a good blender. 

BTW I still find coconut to be much better, maybe try that? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

@Charlotte I assume you bought Alpro? Yes, it is not the best and it contains Phosphates that are best left alone. 

Depending on your budget, there are some other good brands here: (2 - 3£ per box/bottle)

Yes, you can absolutely make your own and it is really easy. I'd suggest look up Simnet Nutrition on youtube and his Almond Milk video. Very well explained. All you need is a milk bag and a good blender. 

BTW I still find coconut to be much better, maybe try that? 

Alpro and Aldi's own brand ? terrible! Laughable almost. 

I'll look UK Simnet nutrition thank you.

Would you say it's cheaper/more efficient in the long run to make your own?

Oh yes coconut milk, will give that a try also but I'm also guessing supermarket brands will of added chemicals to this also ?

Thanks for your help @Michael569 ♥️

@Charlotte

1 hour ago, Charlotte said:

Would you say it's cheaper/more efficient in the long run to make your own?

I'd say yes but haven't calculated the difference but definitely free of chemicals and preservatives.   You don't have to buy organic almonds as long as you soak them for few hours before.

I used this online company to get 5kg of almonds for very decent price. https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/

They are great to buy many other things if you struggle with budget on a plant based diet. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

6 hours ago, Michael569 said:

@Charlotte

I'd say yes but haven't calculated the difference but definitely free of chemicals and preservatives.   You don't have to buy organic almonds as long as you soak them for few hours before.

I used this online company to get 5kg of almonds for very decent price. https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/

They are great to buy many other things if you struggle with budget on a plant based diet. 

7 hours ago, ajasatya said:

almond milk is GODLIKE

Well, with the 2% of almonds in my drink I wouldn't know yet ?

I'll definitely be making my own ?

@Michael569 I'm not really on a budget I just don't like being ripped off ? thanks for the website, saved it to my phone. 

2 hours ago, Outer said:

Here’s a fast and easy way to make a whole-food almond milk. For taste and convenience I personally prefer unsweetened soya milk. (I like the flavor of Whole Foods Market’s store brand the best.) But I wanted to embrace the challenge of creating recipes containing only Green Light ingredients. This doesn’t offer the calcium, vitamin D and B12 fortification of commercial almond milks, but it avoids the added salt and thickeners of questionable safety, such as carrageenan. Choose almond butter made from raw rather than roasted or toasted almonds to decrease exposure to advanced glycation end products. (See here.)

2 tablespoons smooth raw almond butter
2 cups/500ml water

Combine the almond butter and water in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Transfer the milk to a glass bottle or jar with a tight-fitting lid and chill until ready to serve. Shake well before using.

TIME-SAVING COOKING TIPS

• If using dried beans, cook them in large batches and then portion and freeze them. I used to use tinned beans until I discovered how easy it is to prepare dried beans from scratch, using an electric pressure cooker.

• Instead of making one or two servings at a time, cook a large pot of a staple grain or a grain with a quick-cooking legume, such as lentils, mixed in. Then, simply portion and freeze until you want to thaw, heat and enjoy.

• Prepare double batches of recipes for long-cooking dishes, such as stews, soups or chillies. You’ll not only save time – you’ll get more enhanced flavor when you reheat. They’re even better when served later in the week or after being frozen for a time.

• Make seasoning blends, sauces or dressings ahead of time to have on hand.

• Double up on prep, such as chopping onions, when making more than one recipe, so you have enough for both. When you only need half an onion, chop the whole onion and refrigerate the unused portion in a sealed container.

Source: nutritionfacts.org & how not to die cookbook.

Thanks very much for this!! Very helpful ♥️

Edited by Charlotte
Spelling error

If you can't be bothered soaking, straining and want a simple process try hemp milk. More expensive but all you do is blend up hemp seeds with distilled or purified water and done. Add raw honey or other natural sweeteners of choice. The healthiest milk on the planet. No other nut/seed comes close in nutrient profile. Bonsoy is another option if you have that there. You can buy from the store its organic and best tasting soy milk money can buy.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

17 minutes ago, pluto said:

If you can't be bothered soaking, straining and want a simple process try hemp milk. More expensive but all you do is blend up hemp seeds with distilled or purified water and done. Add raw honey or other natural sweeteners of choice. The healthiest milk on the planet. No other nut/seed comes close in nutrient profile. Bonsoy is another option if you have that there. You can buy from the store its organic and best tasting soy milk money can buy.

Interesting, first I've heard of it! Will do some research, thanks @pluto ♥️

@pluto Just done some research into hemp milk and I have to say I'm really interested. I'm going to buy some hemp seeds and give it a whirl (give it a try) do I buy organic seeds or?

1 hour ago, Charlotte said:

@pluto Just done some research into hemp milk and I have to say I'm really interested. I'm going to buy some hemp seeds and give it a whirl (give it a try) do I buy organic seeds or?

Organic is always best ;) Your body is your temple.

B R E A T H E

10 hours ago, pluto said:

Organic is always best ;) Your body is your temple.

Yeah but so is my bank balance ?

14 hours ago, Charlotte said:

Yeah but so is my bank balance ?

My apologizes you did state above "I'm not really on a budget I just don't like being ripped off" so i assumed you don't mind spending a little extra when it comes to health.

@Outer From my understanding (certified organic) does matter because routinely used chemicals and pesticides during the growth period of plants not only damage DNA structure thus causing unbalances and mutations of plants but deplete in many nutrients. Why do you think produce today has far less nutrients than they did decades ago? Because the use of Chemicals and GMOs.

In a nutrient comparison done a while back by some Russians came to a conclusion that roughly 1 apple 50-100 years ago is equivalent to eating 10 apples today this is why people need to supplement today. My grandfathers house in north Europe still contain some fruit trees from over 70+ years ago and i have never tasted fruit anywhere else like when i ate those.

B R E A T H E

I hate the almond Alpro however I started using the unsweetened and original types and have never looked back! 

10 hours ago, pluto said:

My apologizes you did state above "I'm not really on a budget I just don't like being ripped off" so i assumed you don't mind spending a little extra when it comes to health.

No your right, I don't mind, just my bed sense of humour, ignore me. The majority of my income is spent on good quality food, skin care, toiletries and household cleaners, everything I use is as organic as it can get. 

7 hours ago, Cammy said:

I hate the almond Alpro however I started using the unsweetened and original types and have never looked back! 

The unsweetened Alpro?

11 hours ago, Cammy said:

My bad! Unsweetened is Acti leaf

@Charlotte I might have missed it already covered, but have you tried chocolate almond milk? It’s my staple. That with ice, raw meal protein power and peanut butter - I love it. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Outer That's fine, i simply express what i know and understand. What you do with the information is entirely up to you :) All the best

B R E A T H E

On 24/02/2018 at 8:40 PM, Nahm said:

@Charlotte I might have missed it already covered, but have you tried chocolate almond milk? It’s my staple. That with ice, raw meal protein power and peanut butter - I love it. 

Will definitely try. Thank you!

Okay is the alpro unsweetened almond milk really that bad ?

I've been using it for almost a year and reading this thread I feel quite uncomfortable about this revelation.

Yeah there are some chemicals but that's almost unavoidable in a almond milk processed thingy.