iTommy

What supplements to buy?

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I'd like to shop for some supplements soon, and I'd like your advice on this topic.

Currently, I have those on my list...

*= Important/Must have (If some aren't that important or the opposite, then please tell me. I'd like to have a list for all the ones needed, and those that are not that important.)

*Vitamin C - (1000mg 1x daily)
*Omega 3 - (1000mg 1x daily)
*Vitamin D3 - (5000IU 1x daily) 
Green Tea Extract - (725mg once every other day) 
*Magnesium (200mg 2x daily)

Multivitamins (Any recommendations here & dosage?)

*Probiotics (10 billion CFUs 1x daily)

*Vitamin B12 (1000ug 1x daily)

What do you think of this? Anything that you recommend me to change here? Should I add something and/or take away a supplement etc.?

I don't have much knowledge about this stuff myself, so it would be great if people could give me some advice. Also, yes I watched Leo's video on this topic. :)

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seems like a good stack :)

Do you consume any sea vegetables or algae? Iodine is quite important and possibly vitamin K2-mk7 is what you want. Brazil nuts for Selenium is quite important too but you can flow efficiently even if its once a week. I found supplementing everyday messed me up in the long run because of concentrations. These days i stick more to whole foods and only supplement when i travel or feel the need.

So if you never supplemented before then its fine daily for the first 3-6 months to kick start the system and eventually slowly calm down on them and eat more whole foods to get your supplements.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@iTommy I would get the whole B vitamin complex, since they are all great for your body, and you'll pee out what you don't need.  

as @pluto mentioned, iodine is good to add... I had gotten some kelp extract from a local health store which is a natural source of iodine. 

I hope you don't mind be hijacking your thread @iTommy but instead of starting a new thread for 1 question I thought I'd ask it here. 

Spirulina, I bought the powdered version but cannot stand the taste, would it still be beneficial to take this in the capsule form?

Also, Milk Thistle, I know your not doctor's but I was wondering if anybody knew if I could take this whilst still on medication. I want to take this as a liver cleanser but I still need to take my daily medication. Any idea anyone? Thank you. ♥️

@Charlotte TIP: Look for tablets when it comes to those things. Capsules are no good :) I agree tablets are much easier although sometimes they don't crush up in smoothies and you want a larger dose its good to have both. If you make a good smoothie you never really taste it cause you only need a small amount about a 1/4 - 1 tsp is enough.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

14 minutes ago, pluto said:

@Charlotte TIP: Look for tablets when it comes to those things. Capsules are no good :) I agree tablets are much easier although sometimes they don't crush up in smoothies and you want a larger dose its good to have both. If you make a good smoothie you never really taste it cause you only need a small amount about a 1/4 - 1 tsp is enough.

Thanks for the tip! Will do ?❤️

Here's what I take every (or every other) day and find they help in many areas, mind, body, and soul.  I put in brackets where I get them.  Look them up, they're all very good herbs, vitamins and minerals, especially Shilajit.

Cucurmin (Local)

Shilajit (eBay)

5-HTP (Local)

Probiotics (Local)

Maca (Local)

Ginseng (local)

Apple Cider Vinegar (Local)

Tongkat Ali (eBay)

Ashwagandha (eBay)

Milk Thistle (Local)

Vitamin D (Local)

Vitamin B12 (Local)

Ginko Biloba (Local)

Probiotics is really a good multivitamin. It helps to lose fat and prevent mental illness. So, I advise to go for this multivitamin.

On 22/02/2018 at 8:53 AM, Charlotte said:

Also, Milk Thistle, I know your not doctor's but I was wondering if anybody knew if I could take this whilst still on medication. I want to take this as a liver cleanser but I still need to take my daily medication. Any idea anyone? Thank you

@Charlottesome herbs could alter the effect of some medications. Make sure to check with your doc if you are concerned. Some herbs are so powerful that they could interact and stop the effect of your meds. It would very much depend on the type of medications of course

Edited by Michael569
grammar

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

14 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

@Charlottesome herbs could alter the effect of some medications. Make sure to check with your doc if you are concerned. Some herbs are so powerful that they could interact and stop the effect of your meds. It would very much depend on the type of medications of course

Thanks for replying @Michael569

I'll do just that ?

Consider fermented veggies rather than a probiotic pill... Some raw sauerkraut juice would contain WAY more bacteria in a WAY more bioavailable form. Also look into different PREbiotics (resistant starch like raw potato starch or green bananas, as well as plenty of fruits and veggies)  

I also second shilajit from above, incredible stuff. 

Not sure if you're vegetarian but collagen, bone marrow etc is very important, as well as organ meats (there are some great supplements for liver, heart, brain, etc every organ). Another great animal food "supplement" is raw egg yolks (high quality eggs). Unbelievable amounts of nutrition including plenty of cholesterol (a good thing!!!)

Ill also throw in

mucuna pruriens - amazing herb containing l-dopa. Great for mood, energy, motivation, even sensory clarity 

raw cacao powder - amazing for mood. Great for seretonin lovers 

black ant powder - potent energy tonic that's great for hair skin nails and sexual vitality 

edit: have to include medicinal mushrooms. Cordyceps is my personal favorite but lion's mane, reishi, Chaga and others are great too 

edit: also a trace mineral supplement is among the most important. Also for a multivitamin recommendation, look up garden of life's multivitamins. They're great because they're capsules with real food (nothing synthetic). It's nice popping in a pill and knowing you're getting some broccoli spinach apple beet carrot tomato strawberry ginger kale etc etc etc just like that 

Edited by InfinitePotential

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

Sorry for the late reply guys... 

I now (weeks ago) have bought some supplements, and I am looking into the things mentioned here too. Sadly I can't try out everything suggested currently since it would blow my budget, but later on I'll try out some new things.

Some great information shared in this thread. You guys are awesome!

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

i know im a bit late since i see you bought the supplements, but heres my rec.

@iTommy

Vitamin d should always be accompanied by k2 for full potential since the 2 together are key for proper absorption.

As for magnesium, the BEST form is magnesium glycinate, this is absorbed quickest and doesnt cause uncomfortable loose stool.

vitamin b12 sounds great, maybe more efficient if you just buy a b-complex (like the one from doctors best or solgar) (or if your from uk nutri-advanced is rly good) 

As for probiotics, a good way to see if your probiotic is actually a good quality one is to see if on the ingredient list they include the strain number of the bacteria for example if they write "lactobacillus rhamnosus gr-1" instead of just lactobacillus rh. Or "Bifidobacterium bifidum PXN 23" instead of just Bifidobaceterium bifidum. this is a good article on them: http://www.chinesemedicinedoc.com/probiotics-strains-are-important/ GOOD Probiotics in reality are pricey and difficult to find.  one of the best cheaper ones i could find was InnovixLabs found here:https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Strain-PROBIOTIC-InnovixLabs-Broad-Spectrum/dp/B00X4U2NDK/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1520801043&sr=8-3&keywords=probiotic+strain&dpID=41oX0XSAfAL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I take Ashwaganda, Bacopa, algea Omega 3 and Vitamin D almost every day. Then I take other supplements like B12, chlorella and others occationally.

Examine.com is a great website for research-based information about supplements.

@moon777light Thanks for the heads-up! I got a combination of Vitamin D & K2 luckily.

@Maxi Thanks! I need to bookmark that site.