Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saumaya

Indian Food

26 posts in this topic

Hi, I am from India. Here the staple diet is chapati(a form of wheat flour) and sabji(vegetable cooked in oil). I have done everything I can to make it healthy. 

I have replaced wheat flour with quinoa flour and soybean oil to extra virgin olive oil.

So I have two questions:

1)What are your guys opinion on quinoa?

2)Isn't milk needed for healthy bones? If not then how do we get calcium?

There's Only One Truth!

My book on Enlightenment and Non Duality

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHWCP7H

I think the idea of calcium was sold to Society for marketing purposes. Regardless, you can get calcium from : kale, broccoli, oil Chou, almonds, supplements... 

Oh, you can get calcium from some sorts of wheat. Also, some fruit can give you it as well. Besides, there are always vitamins.

On 19/02/2018 at 1:14 AM, Saumaya said:

So I have two questions:

1) I have heard that ragi (buckwheat) is just as good and less expensive. 

I have yet to make this recipe:

ragi-idli-1-768x1023.jpeg

Because sambar & idli are my favourite.

2) I always have a pressure cooker around to cook daal. Many types of veggies could go in it, including spinach, which contains calcium. I still drink milk in my chai, just half cup of milk to make it -- no sugar added.

Eat a variety because you still need a variation of foods to stay healthy. Sometimes I would go take a blood test to see if all my nutrition are in balance.

On 2/19/2018 at 1:14 AM, Saumaya said:

Hi, I am from India. Here the staple diet is chapati(a form of wheat flour) and sabji(vegetable cooked in oil). I have done everything I can to make it healthy. 

I have replaced wheat flour with quinoa flour and soybean oil to extra virgin olive oil.

So I have two questions:

Quinoa is great. 

Milk is usually recommended for kids in the growing process. Most adults switch to almond milk or some other substitute. I like almond milk personally. There are other places to get calcium anyways.?

3 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Quinoa is great. 

Milk is usually recommended for kids in the growing process. Most adults switch to almond milk or some other substitute. I like almond milk personally. There are other places to get calcium anyways.?

@Faceless Have started drinking almond milk too

There's Only One Truth!

1 hour ago, Saumaya said:

@Key Elements 

1)Yh I have heard about many substitutes for wheat

2)I usually have dal everyday almost :)

1) This is a good question. I thought that buckwheat is better than regular wheat, and also matta rice is better than just wheat and also buckwheat.

2) I don't mind eating daal every other day. I know it gets boring. Don't you just stir fry the spanich with garlic or have it with paneer?

Smoothies everyday for breakfast is not filling.

8 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

1) This is a good question. I thought that buckwheat is better than regular wheat, and also matta rice is better than just wheat and also buckwheat.

2) I don't mind eating daal every other day. I know it gets boring. Don't you just stir fry the spanich with garlic or have it with paneer?

Smoothies everyday for breakfast is not filling.

In india we have many many kind of daals here. Usually spinach. Daal is never the main dish but a side dish

There's Only One Truth!

36 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

In india we have many many kind of daals here. Usually spinach. Daal is never the main dish but a side dish

Do you eat thali everyday?

37 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

@Key Elements Yes mostly

You are very lucky you get to eat that. There is not a single thing lacking in that. Those thali packed up in the tiffin boxes are great for going to work, but fresh cooked thali are best.

13 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

You are very lucky you get to eat that. There is not a single thing lacking in that. Those thali packed up in the tiffin boxes are great for going to work, but fresh cooked thali are best.

@Key Elements I think the best thing about Indian food is its utilisation of herbs and spices

There's Only One Truth!

40 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

@Key Elements I think the best thing about Indian food is its utilisation of herbs and spices

Yes.

So, now, in your thali, do you skip sweets like gulab jamun?

15 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

Yes.

So, now, in your thali, do you skip sweets like gulab jamun?

@Key Elements yes i skip it, I only eat the healthy stuff. I am not a big fan of indian sweets anyway.

There's Only One Truth!

36 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

@Key Elements yes i skip it, I only eat the healthy stuff. I am not a big fan of indian sweets anyway.

But...

What about when it comes to the holidays, like Diwali, and you're offered laddus and you're a guest at someone's house? Are you still going to say no?

Haha you know awful alot about Indian culture. I don't mind eating one or two on occasion. Its just that if I really want to have something sweet myself, ill always choose ice cream over Indian sweets anytime.

There's Only One Truth!

41 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

Haha you know awful alot about Indian culture. I don't mind eating one or two on occasion. Its just that if I really want to have something sweet myself, ill always choose ice cream over Indian sweets anytime.

So which ice cream do you like? Pista kulfi? Bricks? What flavors? Do you live near an icecream shop or does an icecream man come to your home with his cart? 

Btw...who does the cooking????? :)That you are lucky enough to eat thali everyday?

@Key Elements

Well if I am gonna eat ice cream, I am gonna get from somewhere decent. I usually like chocolate but I am experimenting with coconut and blueberry ice creams as they are a bit healthier. 

Usually a cook or my mother. I want to learn to cook myself sometime soon too.

wbu?

There's Only One Truth!

39 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

wbu?

I cook, or my hubby cooks. But, in the US, everything is so much more expensive. You already know that. That's why no one has cooks or maids. I have heard of NRIs taking their maids along for help.

Life purpose is the way to go. It will solve so many things, including our food issues. :P