sarapr

What do you think about extremely rich kids?!

17 posts in this topic

I mean those kids who are about 18 and have rich parents and are living the most luxurious lives on their dad's money, What do you think about how far they'll go in life?

@sarapr Are you jealous? Hahaha

Well, its hard to say..

A lot of the rich kids I know are extremely clingy to the materialist paradigm, its hard for them to look inward, its quite terrifying to them just for second to look beyond the ego. They smile, but for some, the neurotic type, suffer tremendously.. so, I would never trade for a richer life. 

Once you grasp the potential of going fully inward, being overly materialistic wont make sense, because you know it wont fulfill you.

All of those rich kids are optimizing for the wrong things. They want happiness, but just take a look, whatever they have, they aren't content for long. 

if strong enough suffering will come it will change their attitudes and perceptions eventually

That's all they know, I understand why they are the way they are. 

How far they'll go in life? In terms of what?

How do you define "rich kid"? There are many types of rich kids out there, be careful not to stereotype. -_-

Dont look at me! Look inside!

1 hour ago, sarapr said:

I mean those kids who are about 18 and have rich parents and are living the most luxurious lives on their dad's money, What do you think about how far they'll go in life?

All of them have the potential to become more conscious of the fact that luxury won't bring them lasting happiness. If the parents are conscious enough, they will teach them the value of inner purpose, intrinsic motivation and hard work (the way Bill Gates does with his kids). 

I was born in a lower middle-class family and honestly I see it as an advantage over being born in a rich family. I am very grateful for the thick skin it made me develop and for the fact that I hadn't gotten hooked by money.

As for how far those kids are gonna go in life... this really depends on their willingness to go and find a deeper purpose for their life, and their awareness of the fact that "For greed, all of nature is too little." (Seneca)

I personally know ones that never made it out and probably never will, ones that didn't made it out yet, but have the potential to, and ones that have made it out and that are constantly pursuing their deeper purpose. That's why this topic is not black and white.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

I think they are human beings with beautiful potential, just like any other human. I try to not assume, guess or judge anything about someone, especially using arbitrary criteria like how much money they have in the bank.   

It's a shame. There are too many negatives to list. There are also a few positives, though not necessarily ones that you would want if you want to lead an actualized life. For example, they won't have any responsibility unless it's forced on them or they choose to adopt some, they won't have any self-reliability either.

That being said, it is also entirely possible for them to learn how to be poor, and build up the personality traits they never needed to develop, but it's very unlikely they'll put in the work, they've already got everything they think they want.

It's also a shame to be so poor, you're never able to taste the rewards you might one day receive if you put in the work.

When their parents die , this is when they will start to learn the lessons of life, and the crashes will be heavy. 

@sarapr I went to high school with the rich kids. Of course there are the ones who are snobby, entitled, take everything for granted, but you can't judge a book by the cover. The ones who are like this will crash and burn without daddy's money, no doubt about. From my experience growing up kids like this usually spiral into drug addiction. But there are rich kids who are real, appreciative for what they have, and don't feel superior just because they're rich. These are the ones that you want to be friends with.

I think they’re no better than I am just because they’re rich. Nor though I think I’m better because I read a few article on Non duality. We all die at the end. Dying with or without purpose is the same. 

How far will they go? 

Do I have to care? Do I have to judge them so I can feel a little better about myself? Does answering this question benifit me spiritually or by any means? No

Edited by Zephyr

Sarcaste <3 the Sarcasm in Me acknowledges and honors the Sarcasm in You 

I come from quite wealthy family, dads a CEO and all that. I suppose I just had the insight that money doesn’t make you happy earlier than most because basically everyone I’m my family is miserable anyway.

Felt very unmotivated to work up until I became independent. Also a bit spoiled in general.

Edited by Spiral