Shanmugam

For People Interested in Kriya Yoga

32 posts in this topic

Dear all,

I know there are many people in this forum who are interested in Kriya Yoga. I usually don't recommend Kriya yoga because of certain pitfalls. But I recently came across an author, who prefers to stay anonymous about his identity.  We exchanged a few emails and also our books. 

I already opened a thread regarding that author in this forum before:

I didn't want to recommend the book before actually reading it. Just now I finished reading his book and I must say that this book is a must-read for anyone who is into Kriya yoga. It certainly busts a lot of myths regarding kriya yoga.  As the author has stated in his book, many people are stuck with the techniques and they don't really let go of those techniques.

I really like the story of kriya yogi that the book ends with; it illustrates the point of the book very well. I will certainly recommend this book to anyone who is into yoga. The book is clear, easy to understand, less complicated than many other books regarding Yoga and puts a lot of emphases on the  After-Effect-Poise of Kriya, which is pretty similar to the 'witnessing' practice that I was doing; in fact, it is essentially the same thing: staying as the witness!

A couple of quotes from his book:

“The manner in which Kriya Yoga is usually taught is not the best for dissolving your false identity and recognition of being God. It has too much emphasis on techniques. 

Techniques end up being the goal instead of the means. One must understand that techniques are used to reach one stage. Once you get there, you must let go of the technique itself. 

How many practitioners have we seen that are so attached to techniques that they can't clearly see that the techniques are actually bounding them and preventing from going further?! 

Kriya Yoga is a means, not the goal. “

“If God is Pure Consciousness, then God is formless. If it is formless, it cannot be a Chakra or any object we are focused on. God is not an object of meditation. Consciousness is not an object of meditation. We use our consciousness as the subject, while the technique itself is the object. 

For example, every time we are chanting a mantra on a Chakra, we are actually using our mind to mentally chant a mantra focused on a subtle energy vortex (chakra). 

This means the chakra is exterior to us. This means the mantra is exterior to us. It is all "3rd person" meditation!  We must turn around and do "1st person" meditation. That's what the known Parvastha state of Kriya does. You stay as yourself, just Being. 

“It is not any Kriya technique in itself that will make you enlightened, but exclusively by abiding on the After-Effect-Poise of Kriya”

The author has recommended many free resources where you can learn authentic kriya yoga as taught by Lahiri Mahasaya. He has reviewed and even exposed many organizations which teach kriya yoga. So, if you are seriously into kriya yoga, then don't miss this book. Here is the link to the book: https://www.amazon.com/Kriya-Yoga-Exposed-Organizations-Explanation-ebook/dp/B0764HP5L8 

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

@Shanmugam thanks a lot. I’m really into kriya yoga.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@Shanmugam how sure are you about the author’s authenticity? Is there a chance he is some scammer who just wants his book bought? 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Just now, How to be wise said:

@Shanmugam how sure are you about the author’s authenticity? Is there a chance he is some scammer who just wants his book bought? 

I have interacted with the author in the email and I have also read this book. I can sense the authenticity in his writing and he indeed conveys what needs to be conveyed.. I got the same feeling when I read his free pdf that he has available in his website.. That is why I chose to contact him via email. Not only that, this book is a must-read for kriya yogis because he says in that book about things which are often overlooked in kriya yoga taught by many organizations. 

I will tell you about one myth when it comes to Kriya yoga.. People usually think that Kundalini reaching the crown chakra is enlightenment. But it is not.  After reaching the crown chakra, it has to come down to the spiritual heart via amrita nadi.  He has mentioned this in his book. 

There are already so many fake ones when it comes to Kriya yoga. The real ones like him are actually very rare. 

Writing a book and selling it is not really a big business when it comes to spirituality. A person who wants to scam doesn't rely on writing books. :) . There are better ways to scam people. Books on spirituality usually get only less number of sales when compared to books on other niches.

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

@Shanmugam I just finished reading that book. It changed my life. Thanks a lot.

44 minutes ago, Ether said:

@Shanmugam Do you recommend yoga for a person who doesnt like exercise? xD

Yoga is not a fitness program..:) .. And Kriya Yoga is not going to be like working out in a gym. 

Edited by Shanmugam

Shanmugam 

I have a meditation habit since three years now and I am curious about kriya yoga, but I don’t really know what the practices entails and if it will be beneficial for me...

What are the actual benefits from kriya yoga compared to just regular meditation?

12 hours ago, Jonatan said:

I have a meditation habit since three years now and I am curious about kriya yoga, but I don’t really know what the practices entails and if it will be beneficial for me...

What are the actual benefits from kriya yoga compared to just regular meditation?

i didnt know a ton of specifics in kriya yoga, but i have been practicing some pretty basic stuff from asana, pranayama, mudra bandha(a great yoga book), i think its similar enough, it seems to be pretty revolutionary, towards making progress on quieting your thinking mind, increasing consciousness, and improving many other aspects of your life, in an accelerated manner. 

Ideally your supposed to do this, yoga(asanas), some pranayama(breath control), than maybe some bandhas(I cant even explain), also shatkarmas(internal cleansing, like neti, this is supposed to be huge) than you start to meditate, the state of mind going into meditation will be much higher, and your progress you can achieve through the meditation is significantly increased. 

so think of it this way,u spend like 2 hours doing this stuff, with like 30 minutes of meditation at the end, you will probably get benefits of putting in like 10 hours of meditation.  maybe these numbers r off.  but the efficeincy in what you can get out of it will speed up significantly faster when u start exploring the whole world of yoga.  I mean meditation is only the begining of what you an get done in the world

On 2/27/2018 at 4:27 AM, How to be wise said:

@Shanmugam I just finished reading that book. It changed my life. Thanks a lot.

i just finished that book too, you were able to carry everything out already? i thought its supposed to take years :P i would love to hear your experiences.  i still have a long ways to go, in order to get into maha, and maybe my kechari needs work(i can touch the tonsil though), any tips on getting into maha quicker?  I have been practicing, and progressing with vajrasana, pretty quickly, and i also started doing  padadhirasana which also seemed to be pretty crazy in the progress.

I still cant just go sit my heels on my feet yet, i have to slowly keep my spine erect, focus on the breath, and my knees just kind of deflate almost, it still hurts sometimes when i get out, and the knees r pretty stiff though.

@How to be wise thanks :). Reminds me of a book from a Swedish author called  ” the hundred year-old who stepped out of the window and disappeared.” :D

@rothko thanks :). I will look out for a book to find some good instructions, some of the exercises sounds like advanced stuff. Think yoga can be really good for as you said quieting the mind. Really like the idea that you can do more intense and efficient practice instead of just meditating 10 hours(if you do a retreat kind a thing). 

@rothko I just started my practice as well. When I said it changed my life, I meant my destination instead of my current position. It really saved me decades of being lost in techniques and experiences. 

@Shanmugam there are three series of this book. Do you think we should read all of them? All of them are essential?