Shin

Martial art ?

42 posts in this topic

Just now, Shin said:

You necessarily need to be a huge dude to do krav maga ?

It’s a combat related defense so it should be adaptable. I don’t know a lot about it in particular, but anything combat oriented is great. Keep everything as simple as possible. This is very important 

@shin 

Be aware that any movement to bring about security psychologically is a movement towards illusion though. I assume you are interested in liberation of the self being on this forum and all. 

It’s ok to learn how to defend oneself physically but to use that knowledge to bring about psychological security as in ‘becoming and not becoming’ will prevent psychological order. 

I don’t want to be the one who advises anything destructive in so as preventing the necessary freedom from self/thought. 

Good luck man 

Edited by Faceless

Hi, if your only goal is self defence krav maga would be the best option. If you are interested also in harmony, self discipline, meditation and self development I would recommend aikido. 

Aikido has a reputation of very soft, pacifistic martial art, but in fact there are some styles and schools that are very martial and effective, namely Iwama aikido or Yoshinkan aikido. Tokyo riot police is trained in Yoshinkan aikido. Lenny Sly has a channel on youtube called the rogue warriors where he teaches very combat orienteted aikido as well (Steven Seagal school).

So if you decide to do aikido, make sure it is not this kind of soft, dancy, new agy style, but something real :-)

Edited by arturolczykowski

Be like Bruce Lee, Like water. Practice all the arts then absorb the best of each art and create your own. That's how he created Jeet Kune Do.

Tommy is one of the best modern examples of Jeet Kune Do. but even JKD is only becomes a limit.

This guy is also excellent that has understood bruce lee philosophy

This was always natural to me since young, surrender to nature, to the ground, to the natural flow, using no way as the way, absorbing what is universal and effective and discarding what is not in harmony with its flow.

Most people find what these guys do super impressive but to me its very simple and common universal sense. Tap into self and infinite knowledge is available. The simpler, the more effective it becomes.

What happened with Bruce Lee i believe is that he became an Awakened Being through his Martial Arts but for him that was his focus so he mastered it as mastery comes with awakening. If he had a different lifestyle he would of mastered whatever he was focusing on.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@Shin and anyone else considering this topic, Jiu jitsu / western boxing are generally the best way to start.

"It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

Presence.  Acceptance.  Purpose.

On 5/4/2018 at 8:28 PM, Phocus said:

@Shin and anyone else considering this topic, Jiu jitsu / western boxing are generally the best way to start.

100%

Hello @Shin, it all depends on your preference. If it is for self defense/ strength and all, boxing is a good sport.

Capoeira is an amazing art form, its more of a dance and partner work (synchronicity of movement) and using different levels of body and space.

If you want something more meditative and spiritual, Kung Fu is the answer. 

On 5.5.2018 at 3:28 AM, Phocus said:

I have to agree with this one. I did few years bjj and muay thai, sometimes still muay thai.

but for self defense you dont need to learn to kick. Learn to punch and wrestle.

Just wanted to say, in af on brazilian jiu jitsu... Amazing for self defense, confidence, intense workout... even humbling yourself. Putting yourself in and learning to deal with life or death or extreme injury situations in a safe environment--so valuable.

Definitely want to include some boxing too but not too interested in sparring, although I guess that's the best way to learn. Plus maybe less brain cells = less filtered consciousness... I think that's how it works

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

I know Judo, I trained as a kid. Very nice martial art that uses the body balance to knock opponents and not brute force, similar to Aikido.