Shin

Martial art ?

42 posts in this topic

I don't know where to put this, I guess it's fine here.

So In 15 days I will start a martial art, I don't know which, but it will happen.
My question is, do someone here knows a bit about them here ?

I can choose between Aikido, Judo, Jujutsu, Karate, and Capoeira.

Any preferences or experiences to share ? :) 

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I suppose, a martial art that provides you with the whole spiritual background, that it is based upon might be most enjoyable for you.

I find, that most martial arts got out of touch with that and developed into a set of combat techniques, especially in the west. But the philosophy virtually all eastern martial arts is literally bulit upon nondual traditions, such as daoism or zen.

The ones that tend to most "intact" in that sense are aikido, kendo and shaolin kung fu.

You could also try Cheng Hsin, the martial art, that was developed by Peter Ralston, if that's avaliable in your area

What I like having studying a little bit of them, is that Aikido cares about the opponent health as much as the defender.

God is love

And God in them

@Shin Ah man, I’m so excited for you, martial arts are awesome.

I did karate for a couple years while I was younger.I really liked it.  It’s all about straight punches, kicks, using your enemies force against them. Quite interesting.

I’ve never had the chance to try other martial arts, but lately I’ve been really thinking about trying out some and see which one I feel most drawn to and maybe start a practice.

Have fun! Hope you find the one that resonates the most with you.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

16 minutes ago, Max_V said:

@Shin Ah man, I’m so excited for you, martial arts are awesome.

I did karate for a couple years while I was younger.I really liked it.  It’s all about straight punches, kicks, using your enemies force against them. Quite interesting.

I’ve never had the chance to try other martial arts, but lately I’ve been really thinking about trying out some and see which one I feel most drawn to and maybe start a practice.

Have fun! Hope you find the one that resonates the most with you.

I think you should too yes :) 

Being able to defend yourself and others is important in my opinion, you never know what kind of shit can happen.

Not only that but it's two days where you don't have to worry about how you will exercice, and it should boost your confidence level too (which is always nice).

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them

9 hours ago, Shin said:

So In 15 days I will start a martial art, I don't know which, but it will happen.

What is your purpose? What are your intentions? What’s the most important reason to learn a martial art to you? 

Edited by Faceless

9 hours ago, Shin said:

Ideally to learn a little of all is the best form of self defense. Just depends what you want to learn it for

Edited by Faceless

@Shin

The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.

Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee’s martial art philosophy and liberation are interdependent. 

Jeet kune do was influenced of self inquiry and freedom from the self.  

And that martial art is the most scientific and efficient one to learn. Now days jujitsu is included in it. 

@Shin

I have been doing Judo for 16 years so would be able to share some experience. 

What exactly is it that you are interested in? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

8 hours ago, Faceless said:

What is your purpose? What are your intentions? What’s the most important reason to learn a martial art to you? 

Protecting friends and myself.

God is love

And God in them

@ShinThen armed and unarmed combat would where you need to look. 

Theres no one method that can be used to respond to dynamic, active, always changing action of attack in a real life situation. 

What ever method learned comes with it it’s own various openings, holes, which are limits.  When it comes to protecting oneself it is not wise to depend on a system how ever fancy, and convincing it may seem. 

Physical defense is similarl to psychological defense. Can’t rely on a method/system ‘knowledge’ According to tradition and a pattern Keep you safe. Life, physical/psychological danger comes at you from all angles and is unpredictable. There are to many variables to rely one system. To approach these variables with the system/method is to try and anticipate a future action in which you will have a solution to. But this is impossible to predict what will happen in advance. Method/system is only one aspect of the whole of martial art. This is why if interesed in actual protection and self defense there needs to be well rounded approach. One who is aware and great fighter will always attack your weakness. If your a great boxer I will get in close and take you to the ground. If you are a wrestler I won’t let you get in close. Same with jijitsu. There’s always a hole/opening to be ceased. 

So for self defense learn all aspects of the whole. All the different martial arts are fragments of the whole. 

I only say this because you say you want to protect in a dangerous situation. To choose one system will not suffice. 

Mid you are interested in a particular art like capoeira for the movement/health aspects/and utter beauty in movement then that’s ok. As long as you are honest with yourself about it’s limits. 

I hope this helps you in a decision friend??

Edited by Faceless

Then I should learn Krav Maga, it's the only martial art that I know of which have the primary function to be used in the street.

God is love

And God in them

27 minutes ago, Shin said:

Then I should learn Krav Maga, it's the only martial art that I know of which have the primary function to be used in the street.

Just investigate all limits.. just like psychologically investigating limits of thought. To know the limit of something is to know when and where it is applicable. 

Seem reasonable? 

But the direct real life cenerio seems to be what you want. But dont let this learning self defense create a back step in your psychological awareness. That tends to happen. Needs to be paired along with self inquiry

Edited by Faceless

3 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Just investigate all limits.. just like psychologically investigating limits of thought. To know the limit of something is to know when and where it is applicable. 

Seem reasonable? 

At some point I got to be practical, I can't go to 3 different school at the same time, I won't have time for that.

God is love

And God in them

2 minutes ago, Shin said:

At some point I got to be practical, I can't go to 3 different school at the same time, I won't have time for that.

Ok...out of those that u presented me with I would start with jujitsu personaly. For you basics self defense as containing a normal street brauler. 

What kind of body do you have?

Edited by Faceless

I'm ultra fit, 55kg for 175cm.

God is love

And God in them

Just now, Shin said:

I'm ultra fit, 55kg for 175cm.

Long body/short body

long limbs?

Just now, Faceless said:

Long body/short body

long limbs?

I think I'm normal. Maybe a bit longer in body and limbs, but I don't know for sure.

God is love

And God in them

2 minutes ago, Shin said:

I think I'm normal. Maybe a bit longer in body and limbs, but I don't know for sure.

Ok.. well I think you would be better off starting with jujitsu as a start. Especially if your are lean and slender.

2 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Ok.. well I think you would be better off starting with jujitsu as a start. Especially if your are lean and slender.

You necessarily need to be a huge dude to do krav maga ?

God is love

And God in them