Socrates

My life purpose doesn't resonate with me

17 posts in this topic

So it is kind of weird but I believe I've been heavily influenced by @Leo Gura both in general and in terms of my life purpose. 

With that in mind, my life purpose result on the course was: I Communicate unique perspectives about life creatively, making people grow. 

Straight to the point, I am not a life coach or anything like that, I am 100% sure that somewhere between the 50 pages of journaling i had to go through in this course there is something more authentic than the self-help guru idea. This result felt so "meh" and that's why it has been 2 months since I got the result without continuing with the "making it real" chapter.

Now that I am going through the "making it real" chapter I realize that I have no idea what I am going towards.

I don't trust my brain for sure and there are chances that this is alibi so i can procrastinate with the excuse "I don't know what I want to do" but it feels real and that's why I am sharing it here.

So what do i do?
Do i re-take the course from the beginning?
Do I just do the me-sheet?
Do i just pick a random idea and try to make it work? 

I am seriously confused O.o  any advice would be appreciated ^_^xD

Can you post one single example of where you communicate a unique perspective about life creatively with the aim of making at least one person grow?

@HII Not any significant example apart from casual convos with friends and family, I always squeezy some personal development there.

Then how can you arrive at that as your life purpose? I don't know what the course looks like exactly, but this seems really strange to me.

Can you think of any way of creating such an example?

@HII It was a certain procedure at the course i obviously can't share. 

Maybe I misinterpreted, good idea thanks.

Well, maybe the outcome of the course is still correct/viable and you gotta find any way of creating an instance where you communicate a unique perspective about life creatively with the aim of making others grow. And then you just do more of that and then you try out several other different ways. And after a while some of them stick and interest you enough so that you're willing to put in the effort to become good at them.

11 minutes ago, John Lula said:

Listen from 53:10-56:00

Thanks for the share!

@Socrates I'd recommend watching until 58:30. To me, what you're sharing here seems like you think you can find a viable life purpose just by watching videos and answering questions, without ever having created a single result. Isn't it obvious that it doesn't work like that?

If I was in your position, I would try to find a unique perspective about life that I'd like to share, write that on a piece of paper and then think of different ways of communicating it, write those on a piece of paper and then creating the things one by one. It can be a drawing, a poem, an article, a short film, a song, whatever. Hell, it can even be just a photograph of the piece of paper where you've written down the perspective you wanted to share. Your path can start with something as simple as an instagram account where you share such photographs.

@Socrates I’ve had a similar issue. There’s so much logic in Leo’s course I think it’s confusing because we can lose touch of our sense of feeling, which is what drives our whole purpose. Overthinking it was my problem and what seems to help is to simplify and focus on your emotions.

1. Finish the course. You have to keep moving forward. Put one foot in front of the other and the path will appear.

2. Listen to your emotions. Forget about all the fucking concepts in the course, you can come back to those later. You need to simplify and ask yourself, “What do I love doing?” pay attention to the answers that get you excited. It’s the passion, enthusiasm, and excitement that you want to follow, not the logic.

@HII Don't get ahead of yourself, we obviously need some theorizing/contemplation to get to the real thing.

What I want is to have a better starting point so to speak that at least resonates with me on some level.

The problem isn't that I don't know how to start the example I shared. The problem is that this example doesn't feel authentic.

35 minutes ago, Socrates said:

@HII Don't get ahead of yourself, we obviously need some theorizing/contemplation to get to the real thing.

What I want is to have a better starting point so to speak that at least resonates with me on some level.

The problem isn't that I don't know how to start the example I shared. The problem is that this example doesn't feel authentic.

How do you know that ?

There is no emotions when you think about what you could do doing it ?

@Socrates Ok dude don't yell on me :( 

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@John Lula I really like how Peterson phrases it and yeah that's exactly my attitude towards it, thanks for the share.

@Slade I am overthinking it for sure since I am way too logical myself, no doubt about it.

1. When you say finish the course you mean with this current result? I have already finished half of the "making it real" chapter. Also, what is the point of following up with a life purpose I don't like? 

2. Good idea. Maybe I will just contemplate my notes of the course and see what comes up. 

The funny thing is that I was reading my LP notes (50pages) today and they were almost all so authentic to me except the fucking result.

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

@Slade I am overthinking it for sure since I am way too logical myself, no doubt about it.

1. When you say finish the course you mean with this current result? I have already finished half of the "making it real" chapter. Also, what is the point of following up with a life purpose I don't like? 

2. Good idea. Maybe I will just contemplate my notes of the course and see what comes up. 

The funny thing is that I was reading my LP notes (50pages) today and they were almost all so authentic to me except the fucking result.

Yeah finish the course with what you have and continue to look inward as you finish it. You’re pretty much at the end anyways he doesn’t have many more exercises. You have to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Your life purpose may not make perfect sense right now, it will take time to marinate, but as long as you’re continuing to do whatever you can to find it eventually you will. 

@Socrates One reason that pops into my head is that you maybe gave abstract answers to the questions in the course.

If your answers weren't nail in the head specific, they will of course give you a lofty, abstract, broad purpose.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

On 13. 2. 2018 at 10:31 PM, Socrates said:

So where exactly did authenticity get lost?

I wonder about your zone of genius actually, and I second the question of HII. How do you know that "communicating unique perspectives about life creatively" is your forte, if you haven't done much of it? 

Also, I miss the thing you wanna master. 

But I'm kind off in the same place as you, still stuck at the impact statement. I suspect I have to factor in other perspectives on finding a life purpose then Leo's. 

Edited by Elisabeth

@Dan Arnautu  @Elisabeth Yeah, I was kinda vague, especially in the end, and that's why I could neither find a domain of master nor a medium.

I will re-do it the course from the zone of genius part. It makes perfect sense now after skimming through the notes.