Buba

What to do in dark night of the soul?

127 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

There is no right way to think. That is illusion also. And believe me, there are plenty of ppl walking around believing they are thinking right and deeply buried in their illusion of themselves.

When I have a glimpse of Truth I feel disgusting.

5 minutes ago, Buba said:

I read comments of people who become immensely depressed after finding truth.

That's because if they did find truth it wasn't what their ego wanted. You see it all stems around the ego.

2 minutes ago, Buba said:

When I have a glimpse of Truth I feel disgusting.

That's what I'm saying! 

4 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

That's because if they did find truth it wasn't what their ego wanted. You see it all stems around the ego.

So what should they do?

Cetus is right. You need to go through this negative phase, face your fears and be totally honest with yourself. If you do that, I'm sure you'll be happier than you can imagine

12 minutes ago, Buba said:

So what should they do?

Sorry, my computer is running really slow today. When I hit "submit reply" it's taking forever to load.

What should they do? Trust in faith that there is something much greater than this small existance we call the self. You gotta have faith! Faith is bigger and more powerful than "you" and "I".

4 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@cetus56 Sorry, my computer is running really slow today. When I hit "save" it's taking forever to load.

What should they do? Trust in faith that there is something much greater than this small existance we call the self. You gotta have faith! Faith is bigger and more powerful than "you" and "I".

Thank you very much. So trust in God or some power is not a hindrance in path to enlightenment?

9 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@Buba This is normal. Maybe a bit excessive in your case, but normal.

So the horror will disappear by itself?

9 minutes ago, Aethereus said:

Cetus is right. You need to go through this negative phase, face your fears and be totally honest with yourself. If you do that, I'm sure you'll be happier than you can imagine

What does facing fears mean? Let them happen? For example I fear that I will be mentally crippled and it will be embarrassing. 

3 minutes ago, Buba said:

Thank you very much. So trust in God or some power is not a hindrance in path to enlightenment?

@Buba In a way. It's different for everyone so there is no one way. Haven't you always felt that somewhere inside you there is a deeper connection to everything than just what's on the surface? I'm sure you have. Maybe it's been hidden for a while. But it's always been there and it will always be there. This is what you must re-awaken.

3 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@Buba In a way. It's different for everyone so there is no one way. Haven't you always felt that somewhere inside you there is a deeper connection to everything than just what's on the surface? I'm sure you have. Maybe it's been hidden for a while. But it's always been there and it will always be there. This is what you must re-awaken.

I want, but I am scared. I want to find a moderate way, step by step, to avoid dark nights, which prevent my functioning..

Just now, Buba said:

I want, but I am scared. I want to find a moderate way, step by step, to avoid dark nights, which prevent my functioning..

@Buba That's a wall that we each place around ourselves (the ego).  You built it-you can tare it down. Even if it's only one brick at a time.

I would do something with someone that knows about trauma. Approaches like TRE, NARM, Somatic Experiencing or a Hypnotherapist who knows about trauma. Things can have different origins and can be dealt on different levels. For example if something traumatic comes up during meditation and overwhelmes you to a degree that you cannot just experience it... trauma work could help imo. Except it's really just a "dark night", then it might not help or just a little bit.

8 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@Buba That's a wall that we each place around ourselves (the ego).  You built it-you can tare it down. Even if it's only one brick at a time.

I will keep meditating every day. I am not ready for self-inquiry. Thank you very much, dear friend, your advice is very valuable.

5 minutes ago, Toby said:

I would do something with someone that knows about trauma. Approaches like TRE, NARM, Somatic Experiencing or a Hypnotherapist who knows about trauma. Things can have different origins and can be dealt on different levels. For example if something traumatic comes up during meditation and overwhelmes you to a degree that you cannot just experience it... trauma work could help imo. Except it's really just a "dark night", then it might not help or just a little bit.

There is no good psychotherapist in my country. And also there is no spiritual guru in my country. :) This forum is my only asylum. 

@Buba What you are experiencing is the dark night of the mind, not the dark night of the soul. Trying to escape what you feel is exactly what causes some people to be stuck in it for years. 

Edit - Dark night of the mind is when you are miserable because you realize how everything is an illusion. The fix for this is to inquire into the nature of the "I" who is being miserable and find that to be null as well. Once you get over this all form of "I-ness" is rid from your existence and you self-realize.

Dark Night of the Soul is when you see the divine in everything BUT yourself. It's the final obstacle for transcending god-consciousness. It's much rarer and not at all what you are experiencing. 

Edited by Misagh

There is a voice that doesn't use words. Listen! - Rumi

3 minutes ago, Misagh said:

@Buba What you are experiencing is the dark night of the mind, not the dark night of the soul. Trying to escape what you feel is exactly what causes some people to be stuck in it for years. 

When I face it and embrace it, it gets stronger and I cannot function then.

@Buba I edited my last post to give more insight so read that. And the whole point is for you (ego) to cease functioning, and surrendering to the real You (the self). Not gonna lie. It will feel like dying. Like actually dying. But if you just let go, death is bliss. This is all the advice I can give you: Let go.

6 minutes ago, Buba said:

I will keep meditating every day. I am not ready for self-inquiry. Thank you very much, dear friend, your advice is very valuable.

@Buba Don't thank me too soon. I have a question that you need not answer here.

Is it guilt that is causing this fear?

Your fears and all the negative emotions you are experiencing now are your ego's defense against erasing itself. It never likes uncomfortable stuff so it will use negative emotions to push you back to your comfort zone. In other words, you are close to uncovering your SELF-deceptions and your ego is doing everything to prevent it by making you feel bad and come up with reasonable excuses like "I'm gonna be mentally crippled if I continue." In my opinion, the only thing that can cripple you is getting closer and closer to the truth WHILE develeoping an even stronger resistance to it.

4 minutes ago, Buba said:

When I face it and embrace it, it gets stronger and I cannot function then.

Exactly what I meant by saying that developing a resistance will cripple you

@Aethereus honestly this guy is beyond psychoanalysis. He's about to self-realize, and I don't think he can do anything to stop it. 

2 minutes ago, Misagh said:

@Aethereus honestly this guy is beyond psychoanalysis. He's about to self-realize, and I don't think he can do anything to stop it. 

I was thinking the same. I'd be grateful if I were in his place, despite the pain. And yeah, he can't stop. The seen cannot be unseen

Edited by Aethereus