Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colin

video game playing and greater creativity

5 posts in this topic

This is number 7 near the bottom of this article

https://bebrainfit.com/be-more-creative/

"A research study done by Michigan State University scholars proves that there is a relation between video game playing and greater creativity. (19)

They examined nearly 500 12-year-old children and found that the more kids were playing video games, the more creative they were in various tasks.

But how do video games actually enhance your creativity?

According to the book Video Games And Creativity, playing video games has the following effects:

Better concentration

Enhanced spatial skills

Better neural processing and processing efficiency

Brain changes that lead to behavioral changes

Improved performance

Increased problem-solving skills

Better social skills

Improved mood, greater inspiration, and self-esteem

Enhanced motivation and much, much more

To sum up, playing video games increases creativity by “its beneficial cognitive, social, emotional, and motivational effects.”

Games such as strategy games are also useful since they teach strategic thinking, and when you are a strategic thinker, you begin to interpret your environment creatively. (20)

If you’re not into video game playing, try such computer games as Civilization V/VI on your laptop, jigsaw puzzles on your tablet, or Fishdom on your phone.

Enjoy the time spent playing and all the benefits that come with it!"

The kingdom of heaven is within.

I know the cons are serious, I posted in another thread that there needs to be (a very nuanced and detailed) pros vs cons discussion about video games to get an accurate and honest picture. 

It is all too easy to demonize video games for obvious reasons. As it is with sweet food and masturbation. But, it does not provide an accurate and honest picture.

I'm no fan of microtransactions.

It is a complicated issue, but from my perspective, it seems like demonizing video games is societies default.  So for me, it is nice to see some balanced perspectives.

I was inspired to take another look at this while watching Joe Rogan rant about it. He is someone who used to play Quake for 10 hours a day at one point in his life and he is doing pretty well

Everything can be worthwhile, and everything can be turned into a superficial thing.

When we are little, we are curious, we like what is colorful, we like atmosphere in video games and cartoons, we like our creativity to be stimulated.

Addictions come from boredom, from lack of knowledge about yourself, lack of vision. It comes when people like to stagnate rather than try to think and find a purpose.

When you are little there is no such thing as boredom. You always have a source of creativity that you can benefit from.

When we grow up is not about benefiting or developing yourself through what you choose to do anymore, it is about escaping the silence, the no-purpose life that you have. The possible sources of growing become a source of distraction from the boredom of a mediocre life.

@blazed That is true that is definitely a con. How websites and games are designed to maximize your time spent playing and draw upon psychological research to push just the right buttons in the human brain.

Microtransactions are legitimately predatory and prey upon the most vulnerable to gambling addiction among us. Hopefully, they will be outlawed in the not too distant future.

I also know that gaming addiction is classified as a legit mental disorder according to the DSM.

Also, I am reading a book right now called the as If principle, and it is talking about some studies that were done that showed that playing violent games increased aggressive tendencies in real life.