Joseph Maynor

Do You Ever Get The Sense That Some Spiritual Teachers Are Pretending

7 posts in this topic

I'm not gonna name names, but I've been experimenting with watching lots of different videos lately, and I get a bad vibe sometimes where I can kind of tell there's deception going on -- like a kind of snake-oil salesman scenario.  It's a sense I have.  An intuition.  Like -- ah! -- This guy is full of sh*t kind of vibe.  

'Pretending' by Eric Clapton

Here's the studio version of the song for comparison:

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor Not surprisingly. When one is in the spotlight and is expected to consistently produce teaching, some pretending is bound to happen. 

That's how I feel about Osho. I was very into his teachings for a while and after some experiences and spiritual growth, he feels like a con man to me.

So, yes, I am sure many people who discuss spirituality are snake oil salesmen and give the field a bad name. 

nothing is anything

It's important in spiritual purification that one drops any double life, any hypocrisy and mal intent. 

I'm pretty sure the top spiritual teachers are beings that are touched by the pure.

The mind can weave all webs it wants. I've had thoughts and even dreams about how Mooji becomes a homicidal maniac when the cameras are off. It's all mind folks! But it would make for a good book/movie?

Edited by Dodo

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

3 hours ago, Natasha said:

some pretending is bound to happen. 

That's it in a nutshell ... If there's some fixated, exclusive self-identity as a 'spiritual teacher' then that pretence too must be dispelled. If this is truly known, that it's another dream role, then at best there is bound to be some playing 'let's pretend.'

Edited by snowleopard

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

6 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I'm not gonna name names, but I've been experimenting with watching lots of different videos lately, and I get a bad vibe sometimes where I can kind of tell there's deception going on -- like a kind of snake-oil salesman scenario.  It's a sense I have.  An intuition.  Like -- ah! -- This guy is full of sh*t kind of vibe.  

Keep in mind: everyone feels this way. 

There are teachers that you think are legitimate, yet others will tell you that their intuition says the teacher is full of shit. 

And the teachers you personally think are dishonest, well, others will claim they are of high integrity and quality.

How often is intuition really just judgement, and how can we accurately and reliably discern between the two?