Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jedd

Creating a website

16 posts in this topic

Interested in creating a website for a business idea of mine and am looking for advice about where to go to do so. I understand this research should be done by myself but if you guys have any tips or experience with creating an idea I'd love to hear from you.

Junior web developer here (web application development). Go to Wordpress.com or Wix.com if you want to build a simple website if you intend on doing it yourself. 

@Jedd No, not really ($4 a month for wordpress.com). Youtube is a great resource for learning this stuff. Just search for 'wordpress tutorials' or 'wix tutorials'. Here's just an example vid I found of a guy explaining how to use wordpress: 

@Jedd

Really depends on your level of commitment and what you need the site to be able to do.

You could hire a dev company for 5-10k, depending on what functionality you need. Or you could start free with something like Wix or Wordpress. Or you could go somewhere in the middle with something like SquareSpace or Shopify. 

10 minutes ago, Jedd said:

@Arman Health & Fitness 

Do you know what you want to do with the business/website more specifically? and a way to turn that into income? 

Edited by Arman

@Arman Well I'm currently studying certificate 3 in fitness which leaves me nearly a year from being fully qualified as a personal trainer but I got thinking about a website the other day and why wait to start looking into a website. So yeah I'm not ready to start the business yet but I really just want awareness of whats out there. I do also have an idea for a lifestyle brand to sell watches or sunglasses etc in the future just not sure where to start with that idea yet.

40 minutes ago, Jedd said:

@Arman Well I'm currently studying certificate 3 in fitness which leaves me nearly a year from being fully qualified as a personal trainer but I got thinking about a website the other day and why wait to start looking into a website. So yeah I'm not ready to start the business yet but I really just want awareness of whats out there. I do also have an idea for a lifestyle brand to sell watches or sunglasses etc in the future just not sure where to start with that idea yet.

Ok Awesome. Because you're not too sure if what you want to do yet, I'd like to expose you to some ideas and models, and some things to start researching and exploring. 

First of all - the health and fitness industry is absolutely massive, and it's over-saturated - it would be very difficult to find success if you go that broad. It is much more effective to target a specific niche within an industry. The more specific - the better. Going too wide on an industry in an attempt to make it a viable business one reason many people fail. An example of a specific niche would be the ketogenic diet, or 'exericses for those with diabetes' or 'increasing energy for men aged 60+' 

That means that it is critical for you to to identify something that you're very excited and passionate about within this industry.  

It has to be a niche in which you can deliver genuine value that is going to solve peoples problems. 

One of the most important keys to success in your business is to deliver massive amounts of value, solve a problem they have (for free) and then naturally people want to take the next step with you - which may be to buy your product, sign up for a membership, take your coaching, etc. This sounds simple, but it is an idea that you're going to be exposed to over and over again until its depth is revealed. 

So identify your niche, identify how you can help people (which will lead you to identifying what your products or services will be) and then find the means to delivery that value. 

If you're not dedicated to providing real value and changing lives, the odds of you making money are slim to none, and even if you beat those odds you'll just be wasting peoples time and money. If you just want to make money, stop. 

----

Here's some starting points for research: 

So you'll need to study how to build traffic. For that, check out Content Marketing. You'll need to learn how you can convert that traffic to be able to deliver more valuable content to them and then offer them products or services. I suggest studying what Marketing Funnels are. Here's a really good question for you to find the answer to: "Why is building an e-mail list one of the most important and valuable assets I could focus on?"

Understanding Direct Response Marketing will help tie a lot of these ideas together. 

A good first step it to just create a website and start creating as much high value content as you can and see if you can get some traffic and have people sign up to your list. It's important to start simple and take action because you can get overwhelmed by information and learning and just never start. Then you can start to look at how to make money. 

As for the website: Can be very cheap, even as low as like 10 bucks a month for wordpress and a domain name. There are wordpress 'themes' that do all the work for you and you can just start creating content as blog posts, videos or whatever very easily. Depending on what services or products you want to start working with, you can get away with paying a few hundred dollars a year to pay for the plugins and software to deal with things like payment, membership areas, support, etc. 

Start with this playlist: 

What Type Of Business Is Best For You?

This one's good too: 

Online Business Research

Edited by Arman

@Arman well I think I'd like to do one on one coaching but have only done that for a handful of friends for free and will be training clients through my course soon. I also have some knowledge in cooking so maybe I could create nutrition plans for people who want to work towards a fitness goal but don't have the knowledge of how to get there with their diet which would take me further study to develop these plans. I have another idea of developing a watch label that can be worn both in the gym, at work or out to dinner but have little knowledge there but would be cool.

Yeah I have plenty of things I'm passionate about but to be honest with you I don't have a lot of life experience so I'm really trying to work towards my zone of genius which is strength training through the life purpose course. In the meantime I'm trying to hustle on the side by picking up part time work and looking into websites so I can possibly start a business when I'm a bit more experienced. 

So yeah I don't have any cash flow at the moment but am working on that trying to get my career going and considering starting a niche business like you said the small bet I've made is doing this fitness course which is gonna cost me half of my bank account which is stressful but I'm trying to make that work ya know,

@Jedd

Sounds like you're doing good. It'll take some time before you identify that purpose and excitement. 

At least our Tafe & Uni fee's aren't too bad compared to the US. Half your bank account now vs half a lifetime of debt 

On 2/6/2018 at 2:43 AM, StephenK said:

Junior web developer here (web application development). Go to Wordpress.com or Wix.com if you want to build a simple website if you intend on doing it yourself. 

haha was about to say the same thing. wordpress has been popular for ages and while i don't myself have experience much, i also am thinking about getting webdevelopment under my toolbelt. and wix looks like it might be a better tool than wordpress, but like i said.. wix is new, wordpress is tried and true.