MarkusSweden

Why are spiritual people so rock solid?

9 posts in this topic

Well, it might seem rather obvious, since they find truth they can rest it and nothing rock their boat so to speak! 

But let us make a comparison with art. Art is also about finding God or truth. Many people become enlightened trough art not even knowing there is a concept for these experiences.

However, the art world is full of mental disorders. Just the other day I was listening at a radio station that plays classical music, and covered the work of one particular composer. I don't remember the name, but he was one of the well known composers in history, just below the giants or Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. 

Anyway, he faced depression in many occasion throughout life, one of his depressions lasted for 5 years where he wasn't able to do anything basically. 

Also, those giants mentioned above, one can argue that all of them had mental disorders, at least Beethoven who would have had bi polar disorder if he lived to day. But Mozart were highly childish throughout life, had no capability to handle money and face difficulties with when life demanded responsible behaviour. Bash was probably the most sane of those mentioned here. But he had 20 children and was a social catastophe. 

And look at those painters. Was it Rembrandt who cut his ears of? Salvador Dali was awkward, Picasso was notorious disloyal to his wives, and he had no interests in his own children and grandchildren. 

Take a look at writers. Dostojevski had severe gambling addiction, Hemingway was an alcoholic and committed suicide. Stig Dagerman(most famous writer is Sweden) killed also committed suicide, so did Karin Boyd(another famous Swedish writer) 

Take a look at music industry. There is a club, called club 27. Some of the greatest musicians died at that age. Jimmy Hendrix(drugs), Janis Joplin(drugs), Jim Morrison(drugs), Curt Cobain(suicide) and the list goes on. 

But with spiritual people it's different, although there is a huge link between art and spirituality. 

All those we like to listening to, Mooji, Tolle, Leo, Sadhguru, Spira etcetera seem like polar opposites to the highly respected artists regarding mental stability. 

Coincidence?  

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

Just a theory:

Artists are usually not grounded in a spiritual practice, making them psychologically volatile. They have no tools to cope with negative thinking, so it tends to snowball until they have to numb it with recreational drugs or alcohol. 

Spiritual people, on the other hand, are grounded in a spiritual practice, which transforms their psyche and prevents mental instability. 

Another observation: Artists tend to feel more deeply than most people. On an MBTI, most artists comprise the _NF_ category. Hence the psychological volatility.

Source: An artist that would have killed himself a while back if not for daily spiritual practice. 

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

spiritual people are not being rock solid, they pretend to be

spiritual people are being chilled, i.e. less solid

but this doesn't mean that they don't want to try to inspire public with radiating their pretentious rock solidness, might work but not always

Edited by Monkey-man

Spiritual people can be very lost.

But those who realize Truth naturally become calm and at ease and that's very different from people expressing art. 

But then again I don't know your definition of spiritual :)

On 4.2.2018 at 5:55 AM, jjer94 said:

Spiritual people, on the other hand, are grounded in a spiritual practice, which transforms their psyche and prevents mental instability. 

Im thinking this could be a potential self-deception trap atleast for me. Its a big difference between not having a mental instability and to recognice it and let it go. Im thinking complete groundedness and mental stability is more of a goal. At least to me right now. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Berjohansen said:

Im thinking complete groundedness and mental stability is more of a goal. At least to me right now. Thoughts?

Mental stability and groundlessness? You think those two aspects are compatible? 

Edited by MarkusSweden

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

1 hour ago, MarkusSweden said:

Mental stability and groundlessness? You think those two aspects are compatible? 

Groundedness not groundlessness :) 

11 minutes ago, Berjohansen said:

Groundedness not groundlessness :) 

lol, my dyslectic tendencies! :) 

Too bad it wasn't "groundlessness", since my question was a rhetoric one. 

I like how Leo and others state that reality must be utterly groundless.

Imagine any objective quality, be it an object, a thought or something else..

...if you apply infinite regression on that objective quality you will not find any final ground. 

Ultimately, total groundlessness must be the case behind every phenomenon, even "mental stability". ;) 

Because, if anything has a ground, that very ground must itself be grounded is something else. Therefore, there can't be any ground for reality strictly speaking. 

I just find that fascinating I guess! 

Hehe   

Edited by MarkusSweden

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

Yes me too! Another headache on the way :) not quite sure if the word groundless can be used in the same sense as our «grunnløs» wich we understand as the word empty or «tom» in norwegian/swedish. In english Its more like «without rational basis» it seems. Had to check the dictionary. Groundless was actually spelled grundlēas in the midle ages (after we sailed to england and made a mess)? Got to love language :)