Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Monk

Are eggs really unhealthy?

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I've been eating 3 boiled eggs everyday for about a month now, then one day whilst listening to a video by a vegan Youtuber, he says "eggs can cause heart disease". So, now I'm a bit concerned about my overall health and well being.  So I scrolled along the internet and saw articles by Dr.s, sometimes saying they do and sometimes saying they don't. I'm so confused. :/

But, at the same time I remembered Leo is someone I would consider to be well informed, knowledgeable and healthy. But, he eats 3 eggs(sometimes more) so surely there can be nothing wrong with them. Additionally, if we don't take eggs where do we get out b12 from? I'm aware of the fact that we can take supplements, but surely they're going to be bad for us. Which is why I don't like taking supplements, since I like to keep my diet as natural as possible.

"It is YOU that must change for all else to change." - Me.

You have stumbled upon the dogmatic tribalism of food. Welcome. i hope you'll enjoy your stay.

I'm sorry I can't quote any studies or post a well researched answer.

But what I know is that eggs have small amounts of almost every nutrient/vitamin, in addition to choline which is a precursor to acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is the learning transmitter. Also protein.

That dietary cholesterol can increase is a myth from 1980. Egg yolks have cholesterol, but also the vitamins.

@The Monk cholesterol is incredibly important. It is a precursor of Vitamin D production as well as all steroid hormones (cortisol, testosterone, oestrogen, some mineralocorticoids...). Your body uses it to put out an inflammation .....aaaand that's why our livers produce all we need! Around 1000 mg every day in healthy individual. We need zero cholesterol in our diets. Of course the production down regulates if we take it in but we cannot process infinite amounts. 

The excess has been shown to increase risk of fatty liver disease, atherosclerosis, stroke, myocardial infarction, angina pectoris, diabetes type 2, pancreatic disease , hypertension (and all conditions related to it), kidney disease,  gall stones and the list goes on...

The problem is that all foods containing cholesterol also contain saturated fats as well as quite often trans fats. A combination of these is a simple and effective way to shorten ones lifespan.  

Also eggs are highly contaminated with pathogenic bacteria such as salmonella, shigella, Staphylococcus aureus..)

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

that's why you buy from a free range nearby or have your own chickens. out

@The Monk On the contrary in my opinion based on careful research free range eggs are one of the healthiest foods on the earth! 

10 hours ago, egoless said:

@The Monk On the contrary in my opinion based on careful research free range eggs are one of the healthiest foods on the earth! 

Which is correct however animal products are not "designed" for the human body. What happens inside isn't optimal and efficient in the long run. Plant foods on the other hand work in perfect synergy with the human body especially fruits.

B R E A T H E

What do you mean by "designed"? Our body has adapted to be able to digest a variety of different foods, we are actually one of the most adaptable species on this planet, it's quite fascinating :D

:D

@caelanb

10 hours ago, caelanb said:

What do you mean by "designed"? Our body has adapted to be able to digest a variety of different foods, we are actually one of the most adaptable species on this planet, it's quite fascinating :D

if you feed meat to a cat for 20 years, it will not get atherosclerosis. ( plaque deposit in the arteries caused by sediment of macrophages trying to put out an inflammation and cholesterol). Human do. Most of us have had atherosclerosis since the age of 10. This is what causes 99% of heart disease in thr world. 

We are able to digest animal products however we were not meant to eat them in the first place, it has been a temporary thing in times of food shortages thousands of years ago. Not to mention a daily intake of animal protein puts your kidneys in state of hyperfiltration which eventually leads to Chronic Kidney Disease and renal fatique. 

Heart and kidneys are one of many organs who suffer from animal food. Pretty much everything does. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus