George Fil

When i quit one bad habit, another one is born

7 posts in this topic

So i diet and i became the way i wanted, but i started smoking, then i quit smoking, but i started drinking a bit more, then i stopped to drink more and i started taking psychedelics/drugs here and there, then i became vegan and gain weight from all the carbs.

All the bad habits i ahd i just kept them in moderation and i could easily got rid of them. I still maintain the good habits of gym,meditate etc, but i noticed this pattern in my life the last years, it keeps getting back in another way and going full circle.

Any opinion is appreciated, thanks!

Edited by George Fil

Are you making sure you're not keeping the things you're avoiding around the house? Make it hard for you to get them.

When you have cravings, do you have a healthier subtitute that's very easy to reach for? (around the house)

Just two techniques I can think of atm.

Kaizen!

You might want to look for the root of your self destructive behaviour. Once you have found it the bad habits should fall away.

@Psychonaut Thanks for the video, very interesting indeed. However the phrase with the self destructive behavior is the root of the problem. Somehow  and for some reason i hope to find soon, i try to sabotage my self when i got important things going for me and i have self control. When i say ok i am going to eliminate this habit is like my mind says ''Well, what about this?'' and present me the next one, an even more powerful distraction/addiction.

It is funny how i am aware of this i can not eliminate this pattern.

In the last month I have also manifested some self destructive behaviour mainly in the form of procrastination.

I have recently started doing JBP's self authoring program. You write about your past, present and future. I'm still on the past. But writing has had a immense therapeutic effect for me.

Self destructive behaviour could be anything. Someone mistreating you in the past, traumatic events. You not being the best you can be in the present. Not standing up for yourself. Not having a vision for the future. Basically just something that is stuck and doesn't know how to get out or is not let out.

You have identified it as for what it is. Now you just need to figure out what it is trying to tell you.

Habit is it’s own mechanical pattern. The objects change but the mechanism remains the same... Desire/pleasure/fear, characteristics of the self ‘thought’. 

@Source_Mystic Hello , thanks for the reply, i do meditation 40 min daily for over 1 year. I think i know exactly what i try to do with all these bad habits : is to lose control and let it go.. Cause I am all time in control and self discipline and that backfires.

My self tries to find all the ways to relax and lose control by overeating, drugs , alcohol etc. and i do not let him in one way so it finds another way. A common  pattern of these habits is that all begins when i a have free time like vacations, weekends etc