Joseph Maynor

This Quote is Amazing from Nisargadatta Maharaj

82 posts in this topic

Quote from Nisargadatta Maharaj:

“My Guru ordered me to attend to the sense 'I am' and to give attention to nothing else. I just obeyed. I did not follow any particular course of breathing, or meditation, or study of scriptures. Whatever happened, I would turn away my attention from it and remain with the sense 'I am'. It may look too simple, even crude. My only reason for doing it was that my Guru told me so. Yet it worked!

Following his guru's instructions to concentrate on the feeling "I Am", he used all his spare time looking at himself in silence, and remained in that state for the coming years, practising meditation and singing devotional bhajans.

My Guru told me: "...Go back to that state of pure being, where the ‘I am’ is still in its purity before it got contaminated with ‘I am this’ or ‘I am that.’ Your burden is of false self-identifications—abandon them all." My guru told me, "Trust me, I tell you: you are Divine. Take it as the absolute truth. Your joy is divine, your suffering is divine too. All comes from God. Remember it always. You are God, your will alone is done." I did believe him and soon realized how wonderfully true and accurate were his words. I did not condition my mind by thinking, "I am God, I am wonderful, I am beyond." I simply followed his instruction, which was to focus the mind on pure being, "I am," and stay in it. I used to sit for hours together, with nothing but the "I am" in my mind and soon the peace and joy and deep all-embracing love became my normal state. In it all disappeared—myself, my guru, the life I lived, the world around me. Only peace remained, and unfathomable silence. (I Am That, Dialogue 51, April 16, 1971).”

Quoted from this Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nisargadatta_Maharaj

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Addiction, my friend.

You have all the tools to self-inquire and see the blatant trick your ego is playing, yet you're still so external, 3,000+ posts later.

T3YpdSv0SyScxc4jBoKAlg.png

4 hours ago, Omni said:

Addiction, my friend.

You have all the tools to self-inquire and see the blatant trick your ego is playing, yet you're still so external, 3,000+ posts later.

You’re no friend apparently.  Check yourself first.  You just projected so much on me you outed yourself.   You have no idea what you’re talking about.  It’s your ego that is at issue here, not mine.  By your tone I can tell you got a little sinister gratification in your post.  Have fun with that.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

4 hours ago, Omni said:

Addiction, my friend.

Yeah, you are not very kind! All those 3000 post from Joseph and I haven't seen him judge anyone, not one single time. 

His journey might be linked to ego, but if that made him happy, friendly and in the end enlightened as well, what's not to love? 

Let people be who they are without judging anyone, that should be the frist step towards enlightenment! 

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

12 minutes ago, MarkusSweden said:

Yeah, you are not very kind! All those 3000 post from Joseph and I haven't seen him judge anyone, not one single time. 

His journey might be linked to ego, but if that made him happy, friendly and in the end enlightened as well, what's not to love? 

Let people be who they are without judging anyone, that should be the frist step towards enlightenment! 

Ironically, I’ve given so much to this community, and then I get smacked and called an addict.  Something is paradoxical here.  No good deed goes unpunished.  Maybe I should go away.  Maybe I should take the conceptualization of addiction to heart.  One man’s addiction is another man’s purpose.  I think I’m gonna go somewhere where I’m not being sniped at and projected upon by some faceless ‘friend’.  These people and their projections of addiction are starting to get ridiculous.  This is my life purpose, this work.  Well, the very early phases of it at least.  I’m not on here to tell stupid jokes. But maybe I’ve worn out my welcome here with by 3000+ posts as this gentleman has so kindly mentioned.  Let someone else try and take my place if you can.  Give it a shot.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

3 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I’ve given so much to this community,

There's another identity left to lose ... 'someone-who-has-given-so-much'  ;) 

4 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Maybe I should go away

If that 'I' is an exclusive Identity, then yes, it should go ... And then what remains?

5 minutes ago, snowleopard said:

There's another identity left to lose ... 'someone-who-has-given-so-much'  ;) 

If that 'I' is an exclusive Identity, then yes, it should go ... And then what remains?

I don’t need anymore instruction.  Stop judging me.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor  There's another false self-identification ... 'someone-who-is-judged' ... Take Nisargadatta's quote to heart, and drop that burden.

Edited by snowleopard

@Joseph Maynor Are you blind to the fact that these judgments (including the one that @Omni is projecting) are projections themselves:

"Check yourself first. You just projected so much on me you outed yourself. You have no idea what you’re talking about. It’s your ego that is at issue here, not mine." - I know that all of @Omni's problems projections so I will use that knowledge to defend my self-agenda.

"I’ve given so much to this community, and then I get smacked and called an addict." = I have made it so that the ultimately non-existent value I give to my posts justify an ultimately meaningless objection which threatens my ego.

"I don’t need anymore instruction.  Stop judging me." - I got my shit handled and I cling to this not being pointed out to me.

7 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I think I’m gonna go somewhere where I’m not being sniped at and projected upon by some faceless ‘friend’.

You are avoiding pain here and you justify this with your life purpose. You got this to sort out.

Of course, talking about projections, I just committed the very same sin I accuse you of making. I am not blind to my meta-meta-projections. My ego is still being run by the people should go meta and the people I ask for advice should know this programs with many others I am unaware of. 

Edited by Torkys

Spirituality is any movement towards the Unnamable. Everything is spiritual.

The only true way out Resistance is going into it because any way out of it is staying in it.

The purest life possible is surrendering to the Absolute.

7 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I don’t need anymore instruction.  Stop judging me.

Telling people not to judge you will never work.

Realizing they are judging a thought in their mind will.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Uhm... I really needed to hear the original post, it is my next step..... thanks...

12 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Let someone else try and take my place if you can.  Give it a shot.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Oh shit, I am special program activated. 

Spirituality is any movement towards the Unnamable. Everything is spiritual.

The only true way out Resistance is going into it because any way out of it is staying in it.

The purest life possible is surrendering to the Absolute.

There’s so much projection going on here it’s sad.  Ego is part of reality.  You folks are like flies piling on with your theory and judgments, and your beliefs.  What you lack is compassion.  You lack empathy.  All you wanna be is right.  All you wanna do is prove that I am wrong.  Do you see?  Every error you attribute to me is a fault in itself.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

55 minutes ago, Torkys said:

Oh shit, I am special program activated. 

Yes.  And you get the prize for being right.  A little feeling of significance.  That’s what you want.

13 hours ago, snowleopard said:

@Joseph Maynor  There's another false self-identification ... 'someone-who-is-judged' ... Take Nisargadatta's quote to heart, and drop that burden.

You are still trying to control reality.  So if we’re finger-pointing at errors, you are not off the hook yourself.  Why not just accept what is here?  No, you had to try to control things.  See?  Your help is for you not for me.  It’s for your Ego.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

5 hours ago, Taylor said:

Uhm... I really needed to hear the original post, it is my next step..... thanks...

I appreciate the withholding of judgment here.  It’s refreshing.  It’s also compassionate.  

1 hour ago, Omni said:

Nothing more needs to be said.

Ego is a part of reality.  Yours included.  Stop holding people to unrealistic standards.  You started this.  You posted an irrelevant personal attack on me that had nothing to do with my original question.  That’s Ego too.  I’m kinda glad you did because it’s become a teachable moment for all of us.  But that doesn’t make what you did right, at least insofar as this question is concerned.  So take that judging finger and point it back at yourself.

Edited by Joseph Maynor