Carlos

Is It Ok To Start Meditation With Strong Determination Sitting If I've Never Meditate Before?

4 posts in this topic

Just finish my firts try I realize that it is harder that I imagined, I only lasted 13 minutes.

I've never practice meditation before but my question is if it's possible to start a meditation habit with this technique or should I use another one?

Edited by Carlos

There are so many meditation and as far as I know, no wrong way to begin with..

if I were you, I would be soft to myself in order to stick to it.

Let yourself be the guide :), do you feel attracked to this meditation.. than do it.. daily..

Besides, you don't have to abandon a meditation when it doesn't go the way you imagined before

(it never does, it is one of the reasons why it's so amazing)

If you lasted 13 minutes (not so bad) but you wanted to give it 20 or 30 minutes,

you can of course continue after a little break, you can't do anything wrong

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

I've never practice meditation before but my question is if it's possible to start a meditation habit with this technique or should I use another one?

Is it possible to learn snowboarding by jumping out of a helicopter, landing on the rocky mountains and driving down with 100 mph?

Not trying to be rude here, but this is kinda what you want to try. Yes, of course you can start meditation with such a technique, but the chance that you will last more then 4 weeks with that is .. kinda no existent.

Meditation - for most people - isn't a easy habit to implement in their life because you don't understand at first, it is kinda strange and you feel no immediate advantages. Maybe a little calmness but nothing big probably.

So, I'd say just go with 20-30 minutes "Do Nothing" on a chair in the first 3 months, see how you do and whether you like it. And then, if you are more confident and it seems as it is a real habit now, go with the more advanced stuff.

I started with 20 minutes "detaching from my thoughts" (didn't know about Do Nothing back then), then increased the sitting time after 3 months to 60 minutes, did the self-inquiry meditation / contemplation for a few months, then heard about "Do Nothing", did that for a while and then finally after 5-6 months switched to strong determination sittings.

Because at the time I did that it wasn't a question anymore whether I'd really stick with my meditation habit. And then it is way easier to go through some immense pain and not fall off the habit. The beginning is hard enough and a lot of people don't make it through it even with a technique like "Do Nothing".

So, you gotta see for you own. You establish a real habit with starting easy and seeing the big picture, that in a few month or years you are sky-rocking it with that.

I'm now meditating for a good year and never would've thought that this would be thing that gives me the most pleasure in my day. When I started out it really fucked with my head a lot. xD

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.