Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
herghly

Noting and labelling meditation

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys :D

ive been doing 20-30 minutes of do nothing meditation daily . 

Ive recently startered doing concentration practice and noting and labelling meditation. 

I do noting and labelling for 10 minutes after my do nothing meditation.  I've watched Leo's video but I still have a few questions 

I do noting and labelling with my eyes closed. It's usually " feel " sensations that arises , my feet , feeling of my butt on chair those type of things. Sometimes I hear something   then I note and label them.  

Is bad to note and label something again ? Example this morning when I was doing this I noted and labeled the sound of my aircon a few times and I noted , labeled the feel my butt on the chair a few times

@Speedscarlet Thanks , I'm actually reading that book now. The book is the reason why I have started doing concentration practice and noting meditation

Try it with your eyes open sometime. It is quite powerful. Also look into Rupert Spira's concept of 'Being Aware of Being Aware'. I feel the same basic state in both experiences.

Here's a video to get you started:

On 01/02/2018 at 3:35 AM, herghly said:

Hey guys :D

ive been doing 20-30 minutes of do nothing meditation daily . 

Ive recently startered doing concentration practice and noting and labelling meditation. 

I do noting and labelling for 10 minutes after my do nothing meditation.  I've watched Leo's video but I still have a few questions 

I do noting and labelling with my eyes closed. It's usually " feel " sensations that arises , my feet , feeling of my butt on chair those type of things. Sometimes I hear something   then I note and label them.  

Is bad to note and label something again ? Example this morning when I was doing this I noted and labeled the sound of my aircon a few times and I noted , labeled the feel my butt on the chair a few times

Whatever takes centre stage in your awareness just note that. Try to completely relax your focus so you're not intentionally directing it anywhere or trying to manipulate it. And then if one thing stays in the centre of your awarenesss for a long time you should keep repeating the label every time you notice it. 

Edited by Space

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

Is there a precise list of all LABELS ? And a flow-chart  apprach to labelling ?

If not can we please create one by having a discussion :

Basing on internet article, let me start and we can improve from there.

1.  Idenitfy if its Physical, Useful or Not-Useful thought. Examine Physical and Not-Useful and discard them once dealt with. 
  2. If Useful then further clasify it as :
    1.  judgment
    2. planning
    3. fear
    4. remembering
    5. thinking / processing / idea 
    6. (Can you all help comment so far and improve from here)

What comes after labeling? Savoring, when you notice and label something the next thing you do is you perceive it directly with your awareness. So instead of labeling multiple times the same thing you can just intensely and vividly perceive it until the next thing comes.

@Shan What word you use for the label is not overly important, and there isn't a definitive list of labels to use, it's just what you prefer and find easiest. For example, Shinzen Young uses very simple labels like "Hear", "See", "Feel", "Gone" (all four of those will cover every single aspect of your experience, both 'inner' and 'outer'). Other meditation teachers will tell you to use more specific words that describe the experience, for example, "Itching", "Burning", "Birds", "Aversion", "Wanting", "Anger", "Planning" etc. There are pros and cons of both approaches. Shinzen's technique is easy and puts more focus on the actual observation of experience (which is the whole point), but the second technique I mentioned can provide deeper insight into the workings of your mind, your neurosis etc. The labelling wants to be quick, simple and effortless. You don't want to be spending loads of time thinking about what the most appropriate word or set of words is. It should really just be one word in my opinion, but i've read of techniques where multiple words are used. The whole point is conscious observation, and labelling is just used to facilitate that, so don't over do it. 

Edited by Space

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski